'Copy & Paste' posts onto other forums Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
mick

Password Safety

It seems barely a day goes by without there being news of another corporation or organisation having their computer systems hacked and users personal information stolen. It is, therefore, essential that we are all extra careful when submitting any personal information online. With regards to the OO Garden Railway forum, the only user information required to gain access are a username, a password, and an email address, but even so, in my opinion it is essential that combinations of usernames and passwords are unique to this forum and not used together to access any other website.

I recently became aware of someone I know using the same username (actually an email address) and password for several different websites including some where financial information was saved. I was able to make them see the dangers in doing so and these have now all been changed to unique passwords. I should point out that this person is not a member of the OO Garden Railway forum.

In light of the above I thought it would be wise to remind everyone to ensure that your OO Garden Railway password is unique to this site and that it couldn't be used in combination with either your forum username or your registered email address to gain access to any of your online accounts on any other website. And of course, that same advice goes for every single website you visit and where you submit any personal information.

If you need to change your password then this can be done via your user control panel.

You might be aware that very recently the RMWeb forum was taken offline due to an apparent Malware attack. I'm not sure of the precise details but I can say that on the same day that RMWeb went offline I received an email to the administration account of OO Garden Railway with a subject line that appeared to indicate someone having problems with their attempted OO Garden Railway registration.

There was a link in the email which led to a 'fake' registration page headed with a miniaturised version of the OO Garden Railway logo and a 'log in' box requesting that I 'sign in'. Naturally I didn't enter any details. Now I'm not sure whether this was connected to the attack on RMWeb but it was certainly a coincidence as we both use the same software.

I would like to stress that OO Garden Railway members email addresses are not accessible to anyone via the forum website so there was no immediate danger to any members - only the administrator email account was targeted.

I always update the forum software as soon as an update becomes available so there's less chance of any unauthorised access to the site but I do urge everyone to be extremely careful with any requests you might receive from anywhere asking you to enter usernames, passwords or any other personal information. This doesn't apply solely to the OO Garden Railway forum but to any other website you might visit. Always make sure the webpage you are on is what it says it is.

OO Garden Railway uses the 'https' protocol which is your assurance that it is what is says. Look for the padlock and the 'https' before our website address. If you don't see them then exit the page, close your browser and start again.

Never follow links in any email unless you are absolutely sure it is genuine. Always manually type the web address of a site, or visit through a previously saved link or bookmark that you know to be correct.