Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

Well, shopping is known to raise the spirits and therefore after some haggling these two super-fast exotic are on their way from HongKong to me:
Fuxing CRH400AF, eight parts, digitized with sound.

Screenshot_20200120-203152.png

Edited by ThomasI
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasI said:

Well, shopping is known to raise the spirits....

Works here too!

They look really nice though more suited to your style of layout than to mine. I've really taken to the new LNER Azuma trains here in the UK - I love the shape and the LNER livery, but neither of my layouts could accommodate such modern traction and I'm trying to get away from buying models for display purposes only.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we get to see and hear the Fuxing on Maximilianshafen.

• Thanks 1

Hi Thomas, wow very nice indeed, I will have to wait for my birthday before baying any trains, but am  after a second power for my Mehano ICE 3 set of 8 only have one power unit need to win the lotto to buy any sound decoders .

Look forward to seeing those new trains run lightening speed look awesome.

Tony from very hot down under now we are copping bad storms, yesterday a storm passed through dropping 20mm's in 20 minutes and other one today very hot and humid hate summer here, need to come to the UK for summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You must be devastated Thomas - I know I would be. I've had damage caused to my own layout by neighbourhood cats but nothing approaching the scale depicted in the photos you've posted above. I've had to resort to fastening anti-climb spikes along the top of the perimeter fence to deter cats from climbing up and over onto the layout but if as you suspect, someone is putting a cat over the fence, then it's obviously not going to stop them.

I can fully understand you losing all your motivation right now but I do hope it doesn't end your journey into garden railways. Perhaps you can look back on this episode as an experience of what can happen and adapt your methods of construction or location of the more delicate sections to prevent such a catastrophe in the future? 

I hope you can manage to sort things quickly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, mick said:

I've had damage caused to my own layout by neighbourhood cats but nothing approaching the scale depicted in the photos you've posted above. I've had to resort to fastening anti-climb spikes along the top of the perimeter fence to deter cats from climbing up and over onto the layout but if as you suspect, someone is putting a cat over the fence, then it's obviously not going to stop them.

Hello Mick!

I don't think the cat (or any other animal) fell on it by itself.
Why should she/it?

I have the impression that people had their fingers in it and pushed the poor animal over the fence.
The animal then struggled in panic until it came free and then escaped over the tracks.

A cat would not go on the narrow bridges if there is a wide one right next to it ...

Best Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, not good at all, jealous neighbours , agree what you are saying, , they couldn't through a brick over , cat can get out the way in fright did more damage, have a word make the problem worse, be a good idea to install cctv camera, catch them in the act.

I  have the same issue now with neighbours being so close worrying about the noise of my saws when I start building , thinking of joining the local men's shed, will find out if I can do my own projects, get help as well.

Have started planning the new bridge, will have a full above arch, bridge be made in one full 14 foot  piece.

Tony from hot down under, rain coming in next week very hot Monday 40 degrees.

• 3 weeks later...

After yesterday the weather was very good, I removed the damaged piece from the bridge that was damaged by the impact of the New Year's rocket.
With a hacksaw, I cut the bridge and the rails on it, which was surprisingly easy.
Unfortunately the weather is bad again today, but as soon as possible the gap in the bridge is closed with a railway embankment made of styrodur and new tracks are laid.

IMG_20200217_155531.jpg

IMG_20200217_155536.jpg

IMG_20200217_155549.jpg

IMG_20200217_155541.jpg

• Like 1

It's such a shame to see your railway in this state. When building Amblethorpe I planned to for the British weather, by which I meant rain. What I didn't consider was wind and the neighbourhood cats. I have been fortunate that damage to my railway has been insignificant compared to what has befallen you. I have seen a cat fall onto my railway when it failed to jump a fence (I was chasing it off at the time). It fell on a solid baseboard and didn't do any damage, but my viaduct wouldn't have survived that fall. Building outside is a real challenge at our scale as we need strength and durability while we want fine details. That is a balance I struggle with. One fine detail I've given up on is ballast. Looks great for couple of months and then its a mess. 

I hope you get the weather that allows you to get out and continue your rebuilding work and that, somehow, you can find some pleasure in the task of reconstruction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to say that I echo Chris' thoughts. The damage looks bad but it's not something that can't be put right again and as painful as it might be I've always found enjoyment in putting things right. It's all part of the joys of a garden layout and it's also what happens in the real world of railway operations.

Is there a possibility of erecting a protective screen over the layout in areas that are 'liable' to future damage? I'm thinking along the lines of a fine mesh or netting that would need only lightweight support.

Chris is right in the fact that when anyone first considers a garden railway their immediate concern is the rain and it's normally the first question we are asked when anyone discovers we have an outdoor layout - "What happens when it rains?". But there are other things to concern us, such as slugs and snails, leaves, bird droppings, cats and other wild animals. I wouldn't have included neighbours in that list previously but it's something we might need to think carefully about.

I hope everything goes well and that the weather improves soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Thomas, I just want to say so sorry about that damage.  But you are obviously a very energetic and productive guy, and I know that getting the damage put right won't take you very long.  And, as they often say, you can Build Back Better, so Plan B may end up superior to Plan A.  Although it's winter, the warmer weather is coming!  So very best wishes as you continue with your fantastic project.  I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of the trains running - later this year!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like excellent structural engineering, Thomas.  I think there could be a lifting/removable section visible in one of those photos.  I'm trying to work out how many different levels of track there will be on the indoor section - maybe I need to check back in case you included a plan many months ago, but of course plans change...

Edited by Andrew
changed text
  • Thanks 1

Hi Thomas, wow very awesome indeed, you having a staging yard in too can't wait to see trains running on the curves, pretty big like mine.

Keep the good work up and more pics, how is the weather stopped raining and warming up still in the low 30's here wont start dropping down till mid May.

Tony from nice down under.