Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

I started ballasting the tracks today.

But surprisingly a thunderstorm started, I could not even take pictures, but had to hide everything under a tarp very quickly.

The further construction of the route is still a bit stagnant, because I'm still waiting for needed parts to install the first switch.
I have now decided to use servos for switching the high speed crossovers.
The servos and the PVC hardboard on which the switch and under which the servos are then mounted, arrive only the day after tomorrow.

But for ordinary points I will continue to use the central locking drives

Hi Thomas, I saw the covers and wondered what you had covered, now I know, I only be adding a light sprinkle of sand or sawdust for ballast, another expense , have you set up a car door locking motor yet, I am still thinking of doing the same, works out cheaper and if you have five in a row set up can use a remote to switch them.

I will use the ones I have for in under the pergola, plenty of pics of how you set them up , be great.

It is sunny here, single digits over night to a nice  day, no rain in sight, may get a shower mid week .

Tony from down under 

Hello Tony
I'm still laying tracks and ballasting.

So far, I have only installed the central locking motor once with a Peco switch, as described in the other thread, with the Omega loop.That works pretty well.

For my high-speed switches with the moveable frogs, I decided to use servos.

Especially with the very long turnouts, I would have to do a lot of work there, both for the frogs and for the switch blades. And since these switches are just at the important and busy track section, that would be too high a risk of default.

Best Regards

Thomas

1527168998072425958460933228675.jpg

15271690138115340688159890897666.jpg

HI Thomas, wow love those curves, your high speed trains will fly around them,  what is the measurements of them, my biggest curve is 24 feet diameter, one quarter curve next curve after that is 12 feet  diameter and others 7 feet., smallest 6 feet on reverse loop.

Sure going to make a great site indeed when your trains are up and running any idea when, I am aiming for late June mid July.

Tony from cold and cloudy down under with and rain, in the low 20's.

Hello Tony!
I am thinking of building a provisional reverse loop module which I can always mount on the respective railhead and thus make train rides later this year.

The curve shown has a radius of 9 feet inside.
But the superelevation makes the elegance.

My biggest curve will have 24 1/2 feet.

Best Regards

Thomas

15272423448583742761998080505113.jpg

Edited by ThomasI

HI Thomas, it sure is handy to know a bit on electronics so you can build your own  boards, yeah it is much easier with DCC to have a reverse loop than DC , make sure the loop be long enough to fit your trains, 

WOW very nice indeed those curves, 24 feet even better, I only have a quarter  24foot curve, I have a curve on my layout starts off with the 24 quarter curve between that a straight section onto a 12 foot quarter, straight again onto a 8foot quarter curve.

I am heading over to my post to post today's effort.

Tony from down under

Hi Thomas, agree with the ballast making it look  heaps better, but I won't be putting ballast on  my layout will lose too much when storing the modules on their sides and shifting them same with the rest of the deck sections.

I am on a high all the track is down on all the  6 modules,  can't run a test loco till I wire up three of the modules be the next job., never ending,this hobby takes up a lot of your time.

Looking forward to more progress pics, we my be running our first train at the same time how knows, still a month of two months away.

Tony from down under.

Hi Thomas, wow you be using servo's as well, I be interested in how you set them up  , so many different ways, are they 6 or 12 volt,  do they work out cheaper than the Peco point motors.

The question about the ballast, agree what you say gluing the ballast down well, after time moving the modules and other sections all then time and them being on their sides the ballast will come away and I have trouble with geckos especially in the garden shed is a warm spot for them.

Those points are long indeed, my longest point are those express points from Peco, your train will look awesome going through them at speed.

Tony from down under.

Hello Tony! The peco Express turnouts in Code 100 and 75 have a branch radius of 5 feet (1524mm) I think, in Code 83 it's even 5ft 7 "(1703mm).

The biggest turnout from Tillig comes in at 7ft 3 " (2200mm) and the high Speed  turnout I've shown comes up to 11ft 4".(3450mm)
The biggest switch I have has 28ft 8 ".

I can not use the Peco Point motors outside in the garden.
I use the central locking drives for Peco switches, but this is too much work for my big points and that's why I came to the servos.
They cost about 12 euros the piece, the decoder controls the 4 of it costs about 24 euros.

Best Regards

Thomas

Hello and Good Morning!

The first two servos are placed.
Rear for the switch blades, front for the moveable frog.
The purple cable is for the frog juicer.

The physically technical installation of the servos was relatively easy.
Now comes the electro-technical (digital) side.
Since I have already driven digitally in my previous system but still have switched analog, so I'm curious how quickly I get this done.

But since we have a holiday in southern Germany today and the weather is beautiful, I am now driving to France for good food with my husband and dog.

Thomas

15277569473602193817896720755391.jpg

HI Thomas, brilliant, can see how you mounted the  servos, most modelers use aluminium tubing, I am going to check out the prices on the servers here , are yours 6 or 12 volts, 12 volt servers are dearer to buy, Peco have  a servo system  for DCC , quite dear to buy. 

I am on a high my mate finished wiring up my DC controller this week, he did an awesome job, no way I could of done the same, lights up like a Christmas tree, wired up for three controllers and one position spare,  should of taken the pics today when he powered it up, will have to wait till Saturday when I power the panel up.

How lucky you are just a stone throw from another country to get a car  and drive to France, we have to fly to get to Asia and New Guinea  being the closed country, long flight from Brisbane.

Tony from very cold down under, 1 degree this morning much the same tomorrow, Jack frost be paying us a visit, the end of the green grass.

Edited by aussietmrail

Hello Tony!
Of course, when building in the house, the switch is usually directly on a wooden board, to which you can then screw the servos from below.
But because I put the switch in the garden, I put the switches on a plate made of acrylic, which then also protects the servos from rain.
Since I can screw on the acrylic plate very bad, I have stuck the wood under there to fix the servos.

I'm in 3 hours by train in Paris or Zürich, in 3,5 hours in Bruxelles, to Berlin I need 4,5 hours (French trains are faster), to Milan in Italy it takes 5,5 hours, in that time I'm also in Amsterdam. In 6,5 hours I'm in London by train...

Next month we go by train to Naples (Napoli). Just changing trains in Milan...  😎

But today we go by car, it's just one hour to France..

Edited by ThomasI