Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

2 hours ago, mick said:

Hi Thomas

I wasn't entirely sure where to start here because you've been so busy and made such progress since I last took a proper look at your layout thread. Wow, it's come a long way and you have the first circuit completed and a train running - that's great news, congratulations on that landmark!

It looks like the majority of the trackwork is now installed (at least I don't see any vacant space that could be utilised for any more 😉) so I assume you'll be concentrating more on the scenic side from now on. It will look amazing once the embankments are completed between the different levels. I love the rockwork that can be seen in some of the photos.

Are there any plans to incorporate any water features? Some of the bridges appear to be spanning valleys that would have rivers or streams at their base so is that something you have considered? Water isn't usually something that can be modelled successfully in small scales but we're not exactly talking small scale here are we! Have you made provision for any water features, real or otherwise?

Hello Mick!
Except for the two large bridges, which are still missing, the tracks have all been laid so far. Yes, I have already thought of water, but then that must be flowing water with an underground storage, because still waters are forbidden in my area because of the mosquitoes.
Without an active fight against these pests, my area would be affected by malaria, dengue fever, West Nile virus and, thanks to climate change, today also chikungunya fever and yellow fever.

Regards 

Thomas 

Well running water is going to look amazing beneath those bridges so I do hope you can incorporate it in some way. It should be easy enough to add a small pump for circulation providing you can retain the water where you want it.

It was always my intention to add water beneath the girder bridges in the middle of my large viaduct but you know me....I just never seem to get round to doing these things. Those who know me well know all about that. Perhaps one day I will surprise everyone!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

Dammit, I never thought of an underground reservoir. That suddenly makes a little water feature in the corner of my garden feasible...😂

you could probably do it with a 5/10L plastic jerry can and some hosepipe...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello together!

I wanted to give you a sign of life from me again.
At the moment I'm finishing the wiring of the layout with the 10 boosters.
I've also reached the last level indoors.

With kind regards 
Thomas

20220527_152845.jpg

20220527_152903.jpg

20220527_152907.jpg

20220527_152921.jpg

20220527_152935.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to hear from you again Thomas and good to see the additional progress you have made.

I have to admit once again that, seeing what you've achieved so far, it all looks well beyond my own capabilities and if you'd seen my attempts at constructing just a short river section you would understand why.

You're obviously a little behind schedule with everything that's been happening over the past couple of years but have you any idea when you might be reaching completion?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I no longer expect my bridge from the USA to arrive in the foreseeable future, I will close the gap for the time being with a combination of arch bridge and prestressed concrete. 
It is based on the Schildesche Viaduct near Bielefeld. 
The bridge will be made of 10mm Styrodur, later aligned at the installation site and filled with concrete.

20220614_101950.jpg

20220614_101938.jpg

Thomas,

That looks like it's going to be a superb bridge.  I particularly like the stone pattern styrodur, and also how you have the stones forming the arches (presumably you have to cut or etch the arch stone pattern yourself).  I hope the rest of the build goes well, and look forward to seeing the finished result.

Because of the great heat here in the Palatinate (39.5°C today), progress is slow.

The middle section of the bridge is modern. In reality, this was the case with the bridge I chose as a model, because the middle section was hit by British Grand Slam bombs in 1944 (at least 3 years too late if you ask for my opinion 😉 )
After that, there are 4 more arches that I have to mount tomorrow.

20220619_192644.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...