Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

1 minute ago, aussietmrail said:

Hi Thomas, wow very impressive indeed/ a lot of different bridge designs I will be having two bridges no idea when I be getting to the layout, still in hospital hope to go home tomorrow.

Did you get effected with those floods

Take care Tony from down under

Hi Tony! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the hospital discharge will work out too.
Fortunately, we are not affected by the flood disaster.
But from tomorrow we will go on vacation for two weeks.

Regards 

Thomas 

20210720_131531.jpg

32 minutes ago, aussietmrail said:

Hi Thomas, many thanks for the kind word be  in hospital till next  week.

Have a great holiday where are you going, I have to be well enough to go for a weeks holiday which we are planning.

Have fun and take care Tony from down under

Hi Tony

We were in Switzerland (Ticino) and now we stay  in Italy, but today we are in San Marino, oldest republic in the world.

You keep getting well soon!

Best Regards 

Thomas 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Archie said:

your layout is quite spectacular but I have a couple of questions if you dont mind me asking: how did you construct that that truss bridge, and I can see supports for overhead catenary, are you planning to install the wires?

Which of the truss bridges do you mean?
I will set up catenary poles, but I will not pull any wires.

4 hours ago, ThomasI said:

A sensible decision.
Overhead wires in this scale would be about 0.2 or 0.3mm? In a garden setting that would be almost invisible, be very easily damaged by wildlife, awkward to access the track for cleaning and probably be a very effective device for accidentally slicing off skin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThomasI said:

Which of the truss bridges do you mean?

Truss bridge was a little vague, I'm looking at the strait, long, grey one under the cover, near where the line crosses over the lower line. I think warren truss is the technical name.
I assumed you were going to just have poles for the reasons Clay Mills already described, having just the poles there already adds a lot to the layout.

11 hours ago, Archie said:

Truss bridge was a little vague, I'm looking at the strait, long, grey one under the cover, near where the line crosses over the lower line. I think warren truss is the technical name.
I assumed you were going to just have poles for the reasons Clay Mills already described, having just the poles there already adds a lot to the layout.

Ah, the large steel truss composite bridge.
I have two of them, the other just not yet have the steel framework installed.
They are both made entirely of wood and originally come from a large exhibition layout called "Deutschland Express" that was dismantled.

Edited by ThomasI

Thomas,

Well done for running your first train on a complete circuit.  You've had to wait a long time for that, so celebrations are appropriate for such an important milestone.

And now you have an alternative activity to working on the layout: just running a train!  Enjoy it.

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thomas,

Well done for running your first train on a complete circuit.  You've had to wait a long time for that, so celebrations are appropriate for such an important milestone.

And now you have an alternative activity to working on the layout: just running a train!  Enjoy it.

I can run a train AND work on the layout at the same time, I'm really happy about that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Thomas

I wasn't entirely sure where to start here because you've been so busy and made such progress since I last took a proper look at your layout thread. Wow, it's come a long way and you have the first circuit completed and a train running - that's great news, congratulations on that landmark!

It looks like the majority of the trackwork is now installed (at least I don't see any vacant space that could be utilised for any more 😉) so I assume you'll be concentrating more on the scenic side from now on. It will look amazing once the embankments are completed between the different levels. I love the rockwork that can be seen in some of the photos.

Are there any plans to incorporate any water features? Some of the bridges appear to be spanning valleys that would have rivers or streams at their base so is that something you have considered? Water isn't usually something that can be modelled successfully in small scales but we're not exactly talking small scale here are we! Have you made provision for any water features, real or otherwise?