Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!
My layout also went a little further.
However, I had to change the tunnel entrance in the northeast corner and change the position of the junction with the many switches in the garden.
But you can already see how it will go on.

Best Regards

Thomas

IMG_20200826_170328.jpg

15984547409726490805595777725976.jpg

IMG_20200826_170356.jpg

IMG_20200826_170432.jpg

IMG_20200826_170414.jpg

IMG_20200826_170449.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, wow  your approach modules are coming along very nice indeed, very much  like mine , I like those plate tracks modelled on the real  1.1 plate track , decided on a colour yet, I finished gravelling in the side of the my house , tomorrow I finish the bridge pis too follow.

How large is the curved decking , my larges is 12 foot radius curves be on an S bend  look awesome.

Is starting to warm up here Monday 1st of Spring 29 degrees , Friday 30 degrees so I better get a move on, no rain in site is god.

Keep the great work up, Tony from down under

Nice work again!

Just out of curiosity Thomas, how much of your layout is now operational? I'm assuming that you are able to run some trains on part of the 'network' now?

I was really surprised to discover that you began posting in 2016 so the build has been ongoing for round about 4 years - that's dedication indeed! I can fully understand why it's taken that amount of time when I look at what I've managed to do in over 9 years!! I had my fingers crossed that we'd be seeing some running sessions this year - is there any possibility of that do you think?

15 hours ago, mick said:

Nice work again!

Just out of curiosity Thomas, how much of your layout is now operational? I'm assuming that you are able to run some trains on part of the 'network' now?

I was really surprised to discover that you began posting in 2016 so the build has been ongoing for round about 4 years - that's dedication indeed! I can fully understand why it's taken that amount of time when I look at what I've managed to do in over 9 years!! I had my fingers crossed that we'd be seeing some running sessions this year - is there any possibility of that do you think?

I ordered a bridge from the US and because of Corona it can't be shipped, so I'm afraid running session has to wait until next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's one heck of an helix Thomas. If it gets any higher then it might be something I could use to allow trains from my attic access onto my garden layout!

I had considered a helix myself, not for the reason I wryly suggested above but as a way of adding additional storage tracks on the attic layout but it's not really something that would be suitable for me as I just don't think a helix and scale length trains are a suitable match. Even if the loco was powerful enough to haul them up the gradient I think it would tear the couplings to pieces. For shorter, lighter trains, then I'm sure it's a great way of accessing other levels.

It takes one of my trains about 2 minutes or so to circle my garden layout - you'll probably be able to watch one of yours climbing the helix for that length of time.

On 22/10/2020 at 12:16, mick said:

That's one heck of an helix Thomas. If it gets any higher then it might be something I could use to allow trains from my attic access onto my garden layout!

I had considered a helix myself, not for the reason I wryly suggested above but as a way of adding additional storage tracks on the attic layout but it's not really something that would be suitable for me as I just don't think a helix and scale length trains are a suitable match. Even if the loco was powerful enough to haul them up the gradient I think it would tear the couplings to pieces. For shorter, lighter trains, then I'm sure it's a great way of accessing other levels.

It takes one of my trains about 2 minutes or so to circle my garden layout - you'll probably be able to watch one of yours climbing the helix for that length of time.

It works with trains up to 7.5 metres (cargo) or 4.8 metres (passenger).

The "Up" tracks have a gradient of 2.2 % and 2.0 % 

The "Down" track has 2.4 %

The heavier trains need two ore more locos, but the couplings doesn't make any problems so far.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 17:13, ThomasI said:

It works with trains up to 7.5 metres (cargo) or 4.8 metres (passenger).

The "Up" tracks have a gradient of 2.2 % and 2.0 % 

The "Down" track has 2.4 %

The heavier trains need two ore more locos, but the couplings doesn't make any problems so far.

That's the advantage of decent mechanisms and reliable couplings as well as . . . .

Traction tyres!

I built a folded figure eight layout for my friend Doug, we had to use 2.5% (1 in 40) grades but can still operate 4 metre long trains.  

built a folded figure eight layout for my friend Doug, we had to use 2.5% (1 in 40) grades but can still operate 4 metre long trains.  

Hi Thomas, wow that is some spiral, are you going higher than 8 levels , can't wait to see a train running on the spiral, keep the good work up indeed.

That the grade I have on my layout 2.5 quarter inch a foot  gaining 6 inches  on a 24 foot length spiral , wow 4 metre train how many locos did you have to pull that train , I am aiming at 30 foot long trains and longest passenger train of 28 cars and two locos, any pic to share.

Tony from down under

On 28/10/2020 at 12:38, aussietmrail said:

That the grade I have on my layout 2.5 quarter inch a foot  gaining 6 inches  on a 24 foot length spiral , wow 4 metre train how many locos did you have to pull that train , 

Hi Tony,

I think you directed that to me, if not, sorry Thomas! Firstly, 4 meters is "only" about 13 feet or so and secondly, we usually only operate with single locos but do occasionally double head just for fun though rather than because we have to.

A 30 foot long train would be about 9 meters and I guess we would need two locos for that.

Cheers,

John.