Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Thomas, a very big wow, that spiral is mind blowing indeed can'rt wait to see a train run on it and that video that was very awesome indeed, how I would love to have a permanent layout outside, not to b, agree with Andrew, I love your long express points, mine are only 11 inches long.

Keep the good work up, still be a while before I can start work on my layout , bridge has to be finished first .

Tony

Edited by aussietmrail

Thanks for the link to that US outline layout, Thomas.  It's fantastic.  I love all those dramatic bridges, the tunnel, the mesas set in concrete, and the concrete desert landscaping which is very effective.  There's no point in having an outdoor layout unless you can run scale length trains!

I see there's another video showing aspects of that layout's construction here: https://youtu.be/mJv1kVflGM4

Edited by Andrew
more info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow that point is the longest I have eve seen, 2 ft 4 inches in length, you high speed trains will fly though them no worries, how are you building the point gluing the sleepers in place first before soldering the rails in place,,b interesting how you plan to wire the point up.

Love the step you are making so you have better access to the layout, I thought of doing the same,  will see how I go with my new layout height wise , be 2 foot high .

Not much work happening on my layout v very over cast day rain not far away for the next four days.😴.

Tony

17 minutes ago, aussietmrail said:

Wow that point is the longest I have eve seen, 2 ft 4 inches in length, you high speed trains will fly though them no worries, how are you building the point gluing the sleepers in place first before soldering the rails in place,,b interesting how you plan to wire the point up.

Love the step you are making so you have better access to the layout, I thought of doing the same,  will see how I go with my new layout height wise , be 2 foot high .

Not much work happening on my layout v very over cast day rain not far away for the next four days.😴.

Tony

Hello Tony!

The layout of the turnout is printed out on paper and the individual sleepers are glued there with water-soluble glue, then the rail profiles are soldered onto it.
When everything is ready, wash the paper off with plenty of water.
The switch is set later with a servo and I use a frog juicer to polarize the frog.

I bought two NSWGR Class 86 electric locomotives from Auscision today (in Candy).
They should pull my pre-ordered Indian Pacific (first epoch).
In the 1980s, it changed to/from electric locomotives in Lithgow.
And I just like electric locomotives more.

Regards

Thomas

Edited by ThomasI

Hello Thomas,

I followed your link in 'Stummis' and was surprised to see that I am a member on here already! I am very impressed with your plans and especially with your extra long points. I too, like high speed trains, along with my friend James who has one of the CR400s from China also! I don't have these yet, just the usual ICE 1, 2, 3, T, TGV, Acela etc - all in H0 scale. I was planning a large layout with an LGV but now I might have to consider going outdoors - as soon as I am settled in my new house.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hello Thomas,

I followed your link in 'Stummis' and was surprised to see that I am a member on here already! I am very impressed with your plans and especially with your extra long points. I too, like high speed trains, along with my friend James who has one of the CR400s from China also! I don't have these yet, just the usual ICE 1, 2, 3, T, TGV, Acela etc - all in H0 scale. I was planning a large layout with an LGV but now I might have to consider going outdoors - as soon as I am settled in my new house.

Cheers,

John.

Hello John!

Nice to meet someone from Stummis here!

I recommend to think about an indoor layout connected with an outdoor layout. It makes things like a "Schattenbahnhof' much easier. And it's every time modelrailroad season. When weather is dry indoor and outdoor, when wether is wet only indoor.

Regards

Thomas

Edited by ThomasI
  • Like 1

Hi Thomas,

I bought two NSWGR Class 86 electric locomotives from Auscision today (in Candy).
They should pull my pre-ordered Indian Pacific (first epoch).
In the 1980s, it changed to/from electric locomotives in Lithgow.
And I just like electric locomotives more

Yes  that is what GSR did with the electric loco's but there was another  popular  electric that was used to pull the IP to  was the  46 used  most of all sadly by the look of it Auscision didn't  produce that class, nice looking loco in a museum now

Liftgrow doesn't get used now and Parks too for driver change overs , drivers sleep in the IP crew car , what Indian Pacific locos are you buying there is 6 to choose from , I have three  off them NR28 was my fist loco then I bought two NR Ghan locos , NR18 and latest NR27 in the up to date IP colour scheme, may buy another, all up I have 7 NR's .

My Indian Pacific is made up of Australian Lima passenger cars, got 18 of them long train can make up  another 10 , peak times GSR runs a consist of 28 passenger cars, too long for the longest platforms at Sydney Central, they split the train lots of shunting fun., I still could pull on my layout .

The Indian Pacific top speed is 80 to 90 K's an hour, the Ghan  is the  longest passenger train in the world , pulls 44  cars wow and two NR's up front., have to have a good size layout  to handle that length, my new layout is now 62 feet in length, the longest passing loop on my layout is 30 feet.

I love those metal steps you are building Thomas, a will you have handrails as well, keep the great work up .

Tony from down under.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thomas,

Please excuse all the "likes" - I have been reading through your whole thread from the beginning! I have to say that it is all completely fascinating and I really admire what you have done. Did you have a vision for how everything would be from the beginning? I recall that you have simplified some aspects earlier this year (sorry about what happened with the rocket and the "cat?").

I had just about worked out what I wanted in a layout when I came across this website so everything is up in the air again with me. My wife and I are soon moving from England to Greece so an outdoor layout will be perfect for me to enjoy the decent weather. As you suggest, an indoor section will be perfect as that can be run independently of the outdoor lines for extremes of weather.

Now, I really can't wait to get started!

Cheers,

John.

14 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Thomas,

Please excuse all the "likes" - I have been reading through your whole thread from the beginning! I have to say that it is all completely fascinating and I really admire what you have done. Did you have a vision for how everything would be from the beginning? I recall that you have simplified some aspects earlier this year (sorry about what happened with the rocket and the "cat?").

I had just about worked out what I wanted in a layout when I came across this website so everything is up in the air again with me. My wife and I are soon moving from England to Greece so an outdoor layout will be perfect for me to enjoy the decent weather. As you suggest, an indoor section will be perfect as that can be run independently of the outdoor lines for extremes of weather.

Now, I really can't wait to get started!

Cheers,

John.

Hi John, I like likes, so nothing to excuse. 😁
Yes, I had a vision of how it should be, but it was changed several times.
Actually, I wanted to build on the western garden wing first and also build a shed there with additional siding.
In fact, I have now built the eastern garden wing and initially only kept the shed open as a future option.
I tended to underestimate the dimensions of such a layout in the garden.
A garden like mine corresponds to a hall of 15m x 15m and you don't build it in one go.
In the beginning, I learned the hard way in terms of materials, sunlight and heating the material.
In the meantime I would advise against PVC sheets and the like in direct sunlight, especially if they are darkly colored.
HPL board and Medite Tricoya Extreme Durable MDF are good, Styrodur and all kinds of insulation boards are also good.
And where it can be protected from too much water, there is also wood.
Aerated concrete blocks and stones and concrete always work, of course, especially in Greece it shouldn't be difficult to get natural stones.
Depending on how your property is in Greece (pot level or on a slope) you can of course have completely different options.
In any case, I am curious what there will be to see from you in the future.

Best regards

Thomas

• Thanks 1