Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

Hi Thomas, any change of getting a closer pic of that grass sheeting , I didn't know you cous get water prouth grass, what type of grass is it long or short be interested, I have bought those grass sheeting that have that sprinkled stuff to make out it is grass wasn't  successful , stuff kept on coming of .

I tried modelling the Tehachapi loop , changed to my present layout.

Keep an eye out joining my bridge today be test, be on a high if it works, full stream ahead in painting the rail deck so I can nail down track.

Keep the good work up , how far away are you to running a train.

Tony from cold down under 8 degrees this morning

Thomas, I think people will be interested to see that you don't appear to be using fisplates/rail-joiners.  My limited experience is that sometimes the two rails can move apart laterally after some time, so I hope that won't be a problem for you.

As for the soldering, it can be easier if you solder one end of the jumper wire before laying the track.  And of course the wire doesn't have to go exactly at the end of the rail; in fact, if you are using fishplates, it is much easier to put the jumper a couple of cm from the end of the rail.

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thomas, I think people will be interested to see that you don't appear to be using fisplates/rail-joiners.  My limited experience is that sometimes the two rails can move apart laterally after some time, so I hope that won't be a problem for you.

As for the soldering, it can be easier if you solder one end of the jumper wire before laying the track.  And of course the wire doesn't have to go exactly at the end of the rail; in fact, if you are using fishplates, it is much easier to put the jumper a couple of cm from the end of the rail.

So far, I have dispensed with the fishplates only on the sections with slab track.
A possibility that the rails move laterally I do not see without a damage of the support plates. 
I also care that the rail joints are only inside a support plate and are not placed on the ends of the support plates.

Since I have to thread the rails in the rail supports of the support plates before I glue the support plates on the substructure and I can push the rails into the final position only after the adhesive has set, I can not solder anything there before the track is laid.
Since the slab track also has no ballast jumper wires are also difficult to hide.
Therefore, I connect the rail ends with soldered copper wires and make jumper wire only every 2 to 4m.

Hi Thomas, wow you are going great guns, I agree with Andrew, I like the idea of the way you have joined those track rails they are not in line which is a good thing with joining flexi track of any type, you are using solid copper wire as well. I be doing the same on my bridge with soldering the wires to the rails and saving on bus wires, won't be doing what you have done with the slab track . Ouch your 25 Euro is $40, how many lengths of slab do you get for the price.

Keep the good work up and pics flowing , going to be quiet this week until after the federal election , train club tomorrow.

Tony from cool down under, rain coming in 

3 minutes ago, aussietmrail said:

Hi Thomas, wow you are going great guns, I agree with Andrew, I like the idea of the way you have joined those track rails they are not in line which is a good thing with joining flexi track of any type, you are using solid copper wire as well. I be doing the same on my bridge with soldering the wires to the rails and saving on bus wires, won't be doing what you have done with the slab track . Ouch your 25 Euro is $40, how many lengths of slab do you get for the price.

Keep the good work up and pics flowing , going to be quiet this week until after the federal election , train club tomorrow.

Tony from cool down under, rain coming in 

Hello Tony, 25 Euros was the price for 3 square meters of grass sheets. 

The slab track is produced by the company I co-founded, 'Zeitgeist Models'. They sell 97cm of track for about 11 Euros. 

To be honest I used the method with soldering the rails together with a short wire also on my bridges, but there I made it also with ordinary ballasted flex-track which I connected also with fishplates. 

Without fishplates I laid track only with slab track. That's because a supporting plate is something like a 50mm long sleeper, so it holds the rails much better in position as normal sleepers do. On the other side, it allows only gentle curves. 

Regards 

Thomas 

• Thanks 1

Hi Thomas wow you are surely moving along fast there with that out the way, are you going to give that curve a  name with  the four tracks and above wires as well, they look great. that would be hard working in such a small space and trying not to walk on the plants, where will the track head form where it is.

I am at a stand still to after the weekend on my layout, Saturday bing a busy long day, can't wait to get back into the layout construction again.

Tony from down under

Hello Tony,

the plants are definitely suffering from my work. There will be replanted later.
Today I have first brought the cable-stayed bridge in position, provisionally.

I will later give names to the different places on my layout but at the moment I have no ideas... 

Best Regards 

Thomas 

IMG_20190516_183151.jpg

IMG_20190516_183139.jpg

15580289345747603699842575939271.jpg

Edited by ThomasI
  • Like 1

RE: Foliage plants

I can certainly recommend using certain varieties of Thyme if they're available over there. It spreads relatively quickly and is easily propagated but doesn't get out of control.

I had three different varieties around the layout but the following two are the ones I feel are most suitable although I have no record of what varieties they are. Ignore the mess around the tracks as I've just been trimming back the Buxus hedging plants in the background.

20190521_104328.thumb.jpg.47c273313aee8bf6103a6326be7b04b3.jpg

The one above has been in position at the tunnel entrance for a few years and grows more slowly than the other. Leaves are smaller too. It needs only occasional trimming back.

20190521_104315.thumb.jpg.c02b1a3f36a57fe60bbf1249b334fa89.jpg

The one above is probably more suited to your needs forming a nice lush carpet of growth. Peg stems down on the ground and they root easily so you can have as many new plants as you desire.

Some other varieties I tried with coloured foliage have simply withered and are now bare so I'd stick with the nice green ones. Even if you decide to go down another route it's always nice to have some variety round the tracks so worthy of consideration.