Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

A big Merry Christmas from down under, was a very nice day here , the sun still had that sting to it if you stayed too long out in it , peaked 29 degrees, back into the mid 30's next week.

Did well with Santa passing by, I am out early tomorrow to buy a new 18volt drill skin  don't need the batteries already have them , Ryobi brand , I got money for Christmas from my mum.

Thursday was a stinker of a day, our hottest day so far

I have completed all the decking from the car port crone module to the bridge now all ready to start leveling keep an eye on my post after tomorrow.

Keep warm Tony from down under

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello!
Since the attachment of the higher levels to the concrete walls proved to be very tedious, I have now covered these walls with 20 mm wood panels.
In March, it will continue, because tomorrow I will fly for three weeks to Thailand and Cambodia.

Best Regards

Thomas

15501393421132308112628560863044.jpg

15501393765226781564606359142275.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, traingeekboy said:

This is a truly epic build, and it just gets more and more amazing.

Is the inside yard going to be sceniced, or are you keeping it bare for easier maintenance?

It's inside my house and the upper levels is going to be sceniced in the future. 

I also have a shed, but currently I'm thinking about replacing it with a conservatory-style annex. 

Happy new year 2019 Thomas, I hope you had a better start than I did, spending 2 and a half weeks in hospital, it is very hot here, for three days this week be in the high 30's be glad to see the end of summer, rain coming in off a cyclone coming down the coast of QLD.

Is annex like what we call pergolas, mine is nearly the full length of the house bar 5 feet, the car port is up the other end, I took full vantage of with all the station complex in under cover.

Work is well under way on my bridge have started work on the road deck 4 lanes wide with an emergency lane, be double lights in the middle,  pedestrian walk way as well, I be cutting clear polystyrene in stead of hand rails, be a lot of work to build handrails.

Tony from hot down under   

Hello Tony! 

The beginning of the year was good, but on the flight to Bangkok I caught a cold and now I'm sitting in the tropics in a sweater and shivering.

The annex becomes more of a kind of glazed pergola.
I want it dry inside so the plan right now.

Thomas from the principally hot Bangkok ... 😂

That's amazing Thomas - how on earth did you come up with a plan like that for the indoor section? It's way beyond anything I would dream of doing. I'm struggling as it is with my little old single line with passing loop! I feel ashamed.....

11 minutes ago, mick said:

That's amazing Thomas - how on earth did you come up with a plan like that for the indoor section? It's way beyond anything I would dream of doing. I'm struggling as it is with my little old single line with passing loop! I feel ashamed.....

Hi Mick!
The fixed point of the planning was the passage from the indoor section to the outdoor section, which is located inside about 25cm above the floor.
At 25cm above the ground you will not get to the system any more from below, so I decided to build the lowest level of the depot directly 10 cm above the floor.
In order to still get everything done, I have to fit with my body between the lowest level and the next higher level in between, so the distance there must be at least 75 cm.
To overcome this height then the helixes.
The level that I would definitely like to landscap, with buildings and so on, will then be so high that I can serve it standing well, so somewhere between 110 and 125 cm above the ground.

It is less ingenious planning than the consideration of all the compelling needs that led to my planning.
Otherwise, first wait for the construction before someone feels ashamed, planning is only one side of the coin.

And even then I do not want to let anyone feel ashamed, because firstly I owe much of the inspiration, the advice and encouragement and the help that I have experienced here, in other forums, from friends and my family and secondly, I can for my health and material well-being even grateful, because a few years ago that looked quite different.

And then there's something else, I'm not the type of person who plans a layout to then build it for 1, 2 or 3 years and then rip it all off to plan and build something new.
So this is supposed to be the layout of my life, with which I want to play build and enjoy the next few years and decades.
That's why everything is planned so that the different sections, ie the part in the house, the four parts outside and the part in the cultivation, can all be built and played independently of each other.
This allows me later, if necessary, to take sections out of service and to modernize or rebuild sections without taking the whole layout out of service. 

And it allows me to flexibly adapt the speed with which I build to possible changes in my state of health or financial resources without having to do with a non-usable, half-finished layout.

Best Regards

Thomas 

Just wanted to edit my post but somehow I find the editing function no longer.
Instead of "cultivation" it should of course be called "annex" above.
This is what you get when you write a text in English using some German words and have them translated automatically.😅😜🤣

• Haha 1

Believe it or not I look at my single line layout as a long-term project too and even though I have indoor stations, it's the outside single track line that is of most interest and the most important aspect to me. I'm not really into shunting wagons around or creating indoor scenery. I'm not really ashamed of my simple basic layout but at my continued lack of progress on it when you appear to be steaming ahead!

As for the EDIT function, I believe there's a period of time during which a member can edit their own posts before that option becomes unavailable. It's something like a day or so if I remember correctly. Do you get the option of editing a new post immediately after posting?

• Like 1

Mick, even if your railway is “only” single track it sits so naturally in your garden and I hope one day to have something approaching it in quality. With so much of it at or near ground level it is inevitable that it will always be a work in progress.

• Thanks 1

I enjoy the maintenance aspect - it gives it a greater sense of realism, even when it includes the prospect of having to completely relay a 10 metre section!

I'm pleased with the way my ballasted sections have withstood almost a full year now and remain nice and firm with very few places where any parts have become displaced. I will certainly continue using exterior varnish as the fixative from now on.

1 hour ago, mick said:

I enjoy the maintenance aspect - it gives it a greater sense of realism, even when it includes the prospect of having to completely relay a 10 metre section!

I'm pleased with the way my ballasted sections have withstood almost a full year now and remain nice and firm with very few places where any parts have become displaced. I will certainly continue using exterior varnish as the fixative from now on.

I also like the effect of weathering outdoor.

Basically there are no problems with my ballasted sections but, unlike indoor, you can immediately see after the winter outdoor which areas the ballast glue did not flow in quite carefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thomas,  it is warming in Germany, still very hot we peaked 41 degrees , I was at the  new train club in Brisbane and they peaked 38  degrees, 38 tomorrow, WOW you have done  well with the art work on the corner module out in the yard  blending in the the background scene, what I have to do.

I have started work o my bridge when it has being cooler, cool change coming in the weekend and storms predicted  tomorrow on wards.

Keep the good work up and look forward to seeing more pics, much work being done inside.

Tony from very hot down under,

Hello Tony,
unfortunately no, on the contrary, it is cold and stormy at the moment in Germany. For attaching the background to the fence, I used a short wind calm with some sun.
It is dry but only so - 3 to 4 degrees Celsius.

Best Regards 

Thomas 

Late evening Thomas, you sure did well blending the corner to the hedge, what I have to learn to do is 3/D back scene painting, have seen some really good US You Tube train doco's  that had mountain scenery that looked like it was print.

Need to find some good city back scenes to blend in with my station building, have started drawing up the plans.

Tuesday was a bad day heat wise hit 41 degrees still hot 34 degrees today could get hotter, no break till  after the weekend, hope to buy more ply today to finish the first half of the bridge and enough for the second half.

Sadly can't make a start on Camdale till next weekend, will work on the bridge, need to finish it , get all the supports between both decks cut and screwed in place so I can paint the rail deck and nail down the track, slow process.

Take car Tony from mild down under.