Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

The garden is tidy and the sections still under construction are covered with tarpaulin.
And since 30min wind has come up, the temperature drops and it looks like rain.
Nevertheless, I am satisfied with what I have done since March on track, including 5 points.

Based on the raw materials rigid foam boards for bathroom fittings, Styrodur / Styrofoam, High Pressure Laminate, WPC and concrete, I also found my very own style of construction this year from the many ingenious suggestions and tips here.
If frost and winter are not causing any unforeseen problems, I think I have found my base on which I will continue to build successfully next year.
And I have found that in the course of the year in the German-speaking model railway forums reactions to H0 in the garden of mockery and "that's not" has turned into real interest and the first noticed that while no one has a 300 square meter hobby cellar, but so much space in the garden ... 😂

But that would all have been impossible without you and this forum here.
That's why a big thank you to all who made this forum possible and shared their experiences and knowledge with me and with advice were helpful to me!

Best Regards

Thomas

15402142633256771775553677645179.jpg

15402142858151101811538257187929.jpg

15402143258865305656181435420569.jpg

15402143423574682773038528232719.jpg

15402143530543622365884750135941.jpg

15402143622798030222365384562911.jpg

15402143742111653518949758444141.jpg

15402143858176300994189027032572.jpg

• Like 2

Well you're certainly proving all the doubters wrong and showing that OO/HO in the garden can be very successful and worthwhile. Just wait until you can show them a fully operational layout next year!

I think the forum provides the required inspiration and motivation to make a start in OO/HO outdoors. It shows what is possible and provides advice on things that are best avoided. Each individual member introduces their own ideas and you've added some novel methods yourself which should aid others who dare to follow in our footsteps! I think you win the prize for the most expansive OO/HO garden railway featured here so far and it's been very interesting following along. Looking forward to the recommencement of construction in 2019.

• Like 3

I think the forum provides the required inspiration and motivation to make a start in OO/HO outdoors. It shows what is possible and provides advice on things that are best avoided. Each individual member introduces their own ideas and you've added some novel methods yourself which should aid others who dare to follow in our footsteps! I think you win the prize for the most expansive OO/HO garden railway featured here so far and it's been very interesting following along. Looking forward to the recommencement of construction in 2019

Hi Thomas, WOW those last lot of pics of your layout in near completed , I am still itching what you have planted for that corner module when the track is down, anything like the rest of the layout it be stunning indeed.

Agree what you say Mick 2019 is going to be a big year for the forum, my layout be up and running by May 2019 celebrating  being in the forum 5 years, we have trains running pretty close to each other.

Only a couple of months left of this year,  wiring of the station modules still going on,will have the station  modules up and running and control panel wired.

We had our inside of the house painted, a big job in pulling every think back went for a bright cream colour for the walls 

Tony from down under

• Like 1

This is the plan for the eastern half of the garden.
The green highlighted is ready, the green dotted will be done first in the next year.
Green and red the HSL, black the other routes.

I have changed the HSL so because I can operate the red marked track then analog and I can also offer the trains without DCC and "GPS" in the future a route.

Ottersberg is the village where I spent my childhood in the district of Bahnhof (train station).
All the buildings of the station have now been released as a kit by a model railway manufacturer.
Since the real Ottersberg is now a boring S-Bahn station with three tracks and the same station building was used along the entire route between Hamburg and Bremen, my track plan is a combination of the track plans of the neighboring stations in Sagehorn and Rotenburg.
So there is a train station with express railways for 230km / h (in the real Ottersberg also driven with 200km / h) and waiting tracks for freight on a multi-track route (as in Rotenburg) combined with a branching of the routes (as in Sagehorn).

By the way, from the Corner Module to the other end, it's about 18m.
So it will not look packed with tracks like on the sketch!

15403867195844542104394189389314.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, now that is some track plan, I thought mine was big, non think to your plan and can't wait to see a train running, my design is similar to your plan, feeding into a terminus station and other suburban trains and freight trains, I could go DCC  pretty easy, that is  only a dream .

Those green tracks are where your bridges are, when the cool change comes in next week going to make a start on the ramp to the bridge, very hot tomorrow 37+  degrees be inside working on the ship, nearly finished the first section , just two bulkheads to go .

Keep the good work up, you wont be able to do much outside and same with me too cold and too hot.

Tony from down under

Hello Tony!
To be quite honest Ottersberg will only be an intermediate station.
There is also the western half of the garden with the shed!
There will then be one of the two terminus stations, the other will be in the house.
But if I finished the green dotted marked routes, then with the parking yard in the house a first circuit is finished and the trains can run.👍

It seems I'm little bit crazy.

Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, wow  is that three stations, I have only two stations both terminus with suburban, platforms,mine will have to share the same platforms, change the station building around.

At first I did plan to go around the whole house, would be too dear, nice to dream, then I could have a second terminus station on continuous  running ,have with what I have got for my circuit.

How many circuits do you have planned for your layout, be pure awesome to see the high speed trains running, I like to get some more Thaly's TGV coaches to make a 20 car train be awesome, the Euro Star is a 18 car train., I have 11 cars now , with the two locos 13 .

Tony from down under

Hello Tony!
How many circuits it will be in the end is difficult to say, because the individual circuits are so interconnected that one can divide them into many small circuits on the one hand, but on the other hand can be used as a single very large circuit.
A fast train with a Vmax of 160km/h (100mph) should take more than 20min for a tour if everything is ready, stops not included.

At the moment I think again how I control the layout.
The provider of the previously favored control with DCC and localization via a kind of "model GPS" offers the new small position transmitter only in combination with a DCC radio remote control.
And I do not want and need this radio remote control and I do not want to have to buy it.
Because the system does not work so well on the layout part in the house, because you can not equip things like a track spiral or different levels in a row with radio transmitters so that there is no gap.
Only to determine the position you can live with dead spots, but not at the steering.

With regards

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

I started with the first track helix from the upper parking yard to the lower parking yard.
It struck me that I should first assemble the turnout drives before I build the helix over the points...😎

15421936926758511606252550549225.jpg

15422061823438729288247880544714.jpg

Edited by ThomasI

Hi Thomas, I like the idea of using bolts to adjust the grade on the spiral, how much do you have to climb up to, my spiral I need to climb 14 inches,starting on it the weekend at long last,.

I use a special level jig I made to work out the heights on the piers and then cut them, a lot harder, three quarters of an inch  every 3 feet.

Tony from down under

Hello Tony
This first helix only needs 2.5 turns to go up about 8.5 inches.
There will then be a second helix that has to overcome about 18 inches and from the level a third who goes up another 15 inches.
That's the top level.

Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, wow that is a big climb, what is the radius  of spiral, mine is 7ft but a lot longer and keeps climbing up to the bridge, your spiral be awesome when trains running, is the spiral double track , mine is single track, start work over the weekend depending if any storms roll in which is predicted  for the next three days.

Tony, 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody!
Somehow I am so lazy at the moment and just got through the first helix with a lot of effort ...

Outside, however, it has frozen for the first time really strong and stormed and rained pretty strong and, to my great joy, my layout has survived very well except for very small losses on gravel.
But I suspect that are the places where too little ballast adhesive has arrived.

Regards

Thomas

15447213815321587792114355212399.jpg

Hello Thomas, as I typing it is pouring rain here, we are copping a cyclone up in the Gulf of Carpentaria North Queensland and heavy rain down south, they say both lows will join up, Sunday the worst rain, gee we need it bad.

We both are working on our spirals, I am only going up one level , really two levels up to the bridge , are you going up any higher than three levels, looking good, only single track , see a super liner on its side in the middle of the spiral , how many of them do you have, I have 9 , aim to get more , like 16 and auto carrier wagons behind the train .

We are very hot you are freezing , how is the track and points. going with ground frozen, don't forget to take some pics.

I am heading over to my post now ,

Tony from hot down under keep warm .

Hello Tony

This helix does not get higher, it is just to lift the track over the other tracks to the right, it then continues along the wall.
On top of this helix comes another ans bigger helix that will be multi-lane later.
But I was not so lazy, have already mounted the drives on 16 turnouts and connected them with decoders and programmed them.

I also follow your progress carefully.👍👍

Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, wow you have being busy, that is a lot of turnouts are they scratch built, save some money, I have run out of larger straight points, one 7 inch point left, that one is for the middle shunting track in the station complex, need one more and a large wye point come later.

You are building a second helix wow the first one is awesome can't wait to see the second one, you are freezing we are swelting , humid here, could get a storm soon, will wait till later on after lunch, I hate summer .

Yeah keeping a close eye as well on your progress, you must have heaps of points, can you get track and points cheaper in Germany , cost over $30 for an express Peco point , $70 for a double slip, I can get the box of Peco flexi track at a good price on Australian eBay $110 plus postage , got three boxes.

Will continue  on working on redrawing my track plan today, have asked my brother if he can help me finish off the last of the layout construction, after New Year.

Keep the good work up and lots of pics.

Tony from down under

Hi Thomas, wow working snow plow, is that as far as it went or could go further, I the one with the spinning blades, can you get an actual working HO scale one .

Is that it till spring now, you can work on those spirals inside the nice warm house, work has come to a halt my end of the world, too dam hot  peaking 41++ degrees Friday and storms. Have stared work on my bridge something different and the way it is going will work holding up the 14 foot span, wish I had an air conditioned work shop.

How are you going with the planning of your station complex, have started planning mine, modeled on   Denver union Station  Colorado , Griffs home state., will have working Union Station Travel train .

Tony from hot down under

Hello Tony!
I was able to drive a little further to the points.
But since I had fed only DC and not DCC, I could not drive over the points, because the frog juicer were not active.

Planned is everything as far as the train stations, but until I can start building one of the two major stations will certainly pass some time.

Regards

Thomas