Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

Hi Thomas,

The high speed turnouts are very impressive. I've not seen any that size, or with moving frogs.  Working on the installation inside is a very sensible idea, It should ensure you make some reliable turnouts.

Chris

Hi Thomas,

The high speed turnouts are very impressive. I've not seen any that size, or with moving frogs.  Working on the installation inside is a very sensible idea, It should ensure you make some reliable turnouts.

Chris

Hello Chris!

Turnouts with moving frog were / are available from Märklin and Fleischmann.
But these switches are more in size between the middle and the large turnouts of Peco.

I have used the Fleischmann turnouts in the parking yard because moving frog makes it easier to use NEM and NMRA wheelsets at the same time.

You really have to build a big switch yourself. Or have it made.

I've a friend who made them.😎

Best Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, great idea using the acrylic board, can be quite dear, bought a piece I was going to use for my sons computer  table draw, never uses it, well over $100 6mm thick , not too bad for drilling holes, use it for putting ship plans on the old laptop table.

I use Peco  express points have a few of them mainly on the cross overs, I don't use frog points too hard to wire up need switches.

Tony from cool down under.

Hello!

It was really a difficult birth, among other things, because I had to reinstall my entire digital center "Roco Z21" to make it work, but finally the servos work and can be controlled digitally.

For mobile frogs you have to polarize.
But otherwise I do with Peco turnouts only use Electrofrogs if this switch is also driven slowly.
In the exit of the depot I used only Insulfrog.

Happy Thomas from Germany

15281467553228626194003839919417.jpg

15281467757802936720888472935722.jpg

1528146798613405294868465523387.jpg

15281468132173328148005573469709.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, well done, it looking like I be looking into those servos as well, the 12 volt servos be the better way to go, guess experiment with one first, the only problem with Peco motors you need a Peco switch to switch signals, will have two sets per point and act as a block signals as well, the Peco signal switches can be quite dear and break down easy.

Keep the great work flowing and pics as well can't wait to see your first train run on your layout, you would be happy camper.

Tony from cloudy down under.

9 hours ago, ThomasI said:

Hello!

It was really a difficult birth, among other things, because I had to reinstall my entire digital center "Roco Z21" to make it work, but finally the servos work and can be controlled digitally.

For mobile frogs you have to polarize.
But otherwise I do with Peco turnouts only use Electrofrogs if this switch is also driven slowly.
In the exit of the depot I used only Insulfrog.

Happy Thomas from Germany

Sorry Thomas but could you explain what you mean by reinstalling your Roco Z21? Do you mean you had to recreate the layout?

My Z21 just works straight from the box for controlling my locos without any "installation", although I don't use it to change turnouts yet.

You are making great progress. Well done.

Riddles

3 hours ago, Riddles said:

Sorry Thomas but could you explain what you mean by reinstalling your Roco Z21? Do you mean you had to recreate the layout?

My Z21 just works straight from the box for controlling my locos without any "installation", although I don't use it to change turnouts yet.

You are making great progress. Well done.

Riddles

Hallo Riddles,

unfortunately my Z21 was four years in the box and then refused to work decently despite various updates.
So I did a reset to the factory settings and then reentered everything.

The switch is now installed outside.

Best Regards

Thomas

IMG_20180605_120447.jpg

Edited by ThomasI

• 3 weeks later...

Soo....

... once hidden the ugly fence with a friendly sky.

In addition I made a few test with the catenary.
A prototypical mast spacing of 75cm is feasible.
In the pictures, the overhead line is only hung, but it is still slightly tensioned in the final state.

Regards

Thomas

2018-06-26 11.35.29.jpg

2018-06-26 11.38.21.jpg

2018-06-26 11.38.36.jpg

2018-06-26 11.39.14.jpg

Hi Thomas, wow nice work indeed, I wouldn't tackle  the over head cable will it be powered, I believe with Marklin they have both overhead powered and choice of track powered.

Going to look awesome with the electric locos with there pic ups touching the over heads, a lot of work there, but worth the effort when done,can't wait .

Tony from wet down under wet week, lots of track work to do with two boxes of Pecc flexi track arriving tomorrow, will have three boxes of track.

Hello Tony,
that was synonymous with all other manufacturers, not only at Märklin.
But the really energized overhead line makes no sense at DCC.
I will also fix the pantographs 3mm below the catenary, because that's safer outside.

Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, didn't know you could set pantographs different heights, nothing worse them getting caught with the overhead, what about your tunnel it high enough for the over heat to stay the same height, some real railroads the over heads drop down for the  tunnel height they do here in QLD.

It didn't do much today, was wet and cold outside, hope it is better tomorrow, I have worked out how to use a small cross over to give access to the turn table to turn steamies and diesel locos around and have a steamie service facility, having  a separate diesel loco facility as well .

It dropped down to 16 today warmer days coming up.

Tony from down under.

Hello Tony and everyone else!
as I am still waiting for the delivery of material for the construction of the next bridge, today once used to set up a few catenary poles.

The average height of the overhead contact line in Germany would be on H0 converted 63mm above the rail top.
In order for my Chinese and Australian and American trains to fit underneath, I will set the height to at least 73mm on the high-speed line and on the passageways from the house into the garden.
The pantographs are then modified so that they can go up and down but do not go up above a height of 71 mm.

So I can attach the overhead line also lower, but then it must also be designed in the places that it leads the pantographs safely.
But this is much easier than constructing the overhead line so demanding over the entire route and, above all, maintaining it outside.

Modern tunnels in Europe have such a large cross-section that I do not have to lower the overhead line for the high-speed line, even in the tunnel.
The tunnels can be a problem on the other routes, so I am considering using one of the two main lines with overhead line and one without overhead line.
And immediately split this behind the exit of the conventional routes out of the house.

Regards

Thomas

15301019148986491318889648908695.jpg

Hi Thomas, you got some Aussie electrics , what are the classes, be interested to see the pics, are they Queensland Rail {QR} have what we call high speed Electric Tilt and suburban EMU sets, Sydney have the double deck Electrics ,they aren't high speed.

I just finished fixing my son's Thomas tank engine funnel, looks good  be stronger than Hornby's  funnels, all I need to figure is make the lip for the top of the funnel , like in the shell of Thomas, the replacement isn't as high either, haven't got a small paint brush get one tomorrow. should look good once painted..

Two boxes of Peco flexi track arrived today , have three boxes one all up with six separate lengths 82 lengths all up.

Keep the good work up and pics flowing.

Tony from wet down under

IMG_1329.jpg

Hello Tony!
I do not (yet) have any australian electrics.
But the Australian loading gauge is (at least in parts of Australia) much larger than in Europe or Germany, as is the case in North America.
At an overhead line height of 63mm hangs an Amtrak Superdome already badly under the line.
And a Chinese electric locomotive comes with lowered pantographs almost on the wire.

73mm is simply a compromise to use all the vehicles in my collection.

Regards 

Thomas

1 hour ago, aussietmrail said:

Hi Thomas, you got some Aussie electrics , what are the classes, be interested to see the pics, are they Queensland Rail {QR} have what we call high speed Electric Tilt and suburban EMU sets, Sydney have the double deck Electrics ,they aren't high speed.

I just finished fixing my son's Thomas tank engine funnel, looks good  be stronger than Hornby's  funnels, all I need to figure is make the lip for the top of the funnel , like in the shell of Thomas, the replacement isn't as high either, haven't got a small paint brush get one tomorrow. should look good once painted..

Two boxes of Peco flexi track arrived today , have three boxes one all up with six separate lengths 82 lengths all up.

Keep the good work up and pics flowing.

Tony from wet down under

IMG_1329.jpg

A ring of copper wire glued to the top of the chimney and painted will give you a lip.

So, from the switch we are now another 150 inches further.
When tomorrow, hopefully, the finished boards of HPL for the Bridge surface come, I can tackle the adjoining next bridge.

It will be about 120 inches long and up to 20 inches high.

15302900431937664810258739024164.jpg

15302900957956609892180237811913.jpg

1530290181581377300567702034504.jpg

15302902160173184285765773926795.jpg

Hi Thomas, WOW coming along nicely, I like those small plants, are they lavender plants, looks like you could be running trains before me, my layout be finished when ever, the wiring  taking the longest, working on two modules and the third one is the module that the control panel will connect up to.

What's the plan with the stuff on the fence are you painting a sky scene, I am going to a men's shed where they do art and get shown how to paint 3/d back scenes.\, do you have men's shed's in Germany.

Tony from sunny down under