Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

Hi Tony!

I have no problems with Peco points. I am concerned with solutions for switches that do not have this spring mechanism. So non-peco switches.

The question is, how do I manage the effect of the spring on switches that do not have this.

Thomas

I found another German-speaking guy from Austria with H0 in the garden on YouTube:

In the film he tells, among other things, that the layout at the time of recording, has existed for two years. And also works with snow:

And another one in Saxony:

Edited by ThomasI
  • Like 1

Work started at the exit of the parking yard. It found out that if I attached the entrance (on the photo where the yellow spirit level is) instead of pillars with shelf holders to the wall, I gain a lot of space.

Instead of 6 parallel tracks in the curve I get 11 there. Of which 9 with a radius over 500mm.Which means my depot station will have 11 continuous tracks with a total useful length of about 105m. Space for 52 TGVs..

Of course, there are also the sidings that are not continuous.

But now I have run out of points. I had counted only with 6 transit tracks.

Thomas

1515254917659806189758.jpg

15152549595241614809322.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's great to see so much progress Thomas. I hadn't realised you were at such an advanced stage but there again I've not been keeping up with things as I should have been doing so I do apologise to you and everyone else for that. It always makes me feel slightly inferior when I see layouts with multiple track layouts and there I am with just a single one! When you and Tony get fully operational there's going to be some interesting viewing in these parts.

Hi Thomas, Wow you have being busy, how I would love a yard like that on mine, can quite possible now i have shifted the whole layout around, have the room for a staging yard,, going to awesome to see trains running on the top level and others in the yard.

The heat has slowed me down, today would of being a good day, had to wash the car, rain coming in be cooler for a couple of days, all explained on my page.

Do you live near Frankfurt, there was a big train show there, keep the good work up and plenty of pic flowing.

Tony from hot down under keep on moving ahead.

Hello Mick, 

to be honest nearly 1/3 of the progress was done since Xmas.

I hope to finish the lower level of the parking yard before spring so I can concentrate on the layout in the garden in the spring.

When it is autumn I plan to start the upper level of the depot station. It will be about 70cm above the lower level and at about 110cm then comes my indoor layout.

The outdoor layout and the indoor layout are both fully connected to the middle parking yard. From the lower parking yard one will be able to extend to indoor as well as outdoor, but only enter from outside.

Hello Tony!

Yes, I saw your first steps to the bridge. Frankfurt is about 80km / 50 miles away from me. In 8 days I fly from there for two weeks to Egypt. With regards

Thomas

Edited by ThomasI

The entrance to the parking yard is nearing completion. It is fully equipped with Fleischmann high speed crossovers with movable frog.This allows me to ride with American standard wheels as well as with wheels of European standard without having problems with the frog.

In the exit, however, Peco Code 100 insulfrog turnouts are used. These should simply drive up by the outgoing trains so that I do not need a turnout drive for these switches.

15175811062471759192775.jpg

1517581144303525579994.jpg

Edited by ThomasI
  • Like 1

So the points of Peco arrived today from England. Now I have started with the exit from the parking yard. The gap closure is thus made, from the entrance from the garden into the house to the exit from the house into the garden is now a continuous track connection.

Since I do not have such an experience with Peco, one question: If I these as trailable points (is that the correct name if I use the switches in the exit without drive and the train switches the switch points when driving?) is it better to remove the springs?

15176776522591106371141.jpg

1517677719209440798796.jpg

Morning Thomas, wow you have being going great guns with your indoor section main yard, can't wait to see it finished,  are you planning DCC straight away, probably best to go that way, only two wires in but still need to do all the bus and feeder wire soldering,, a night mare in DC

How many track do you plan to have for your staging yard, yes I can now fit in a staging yard  on my layout , cost is the problem,will have to wait, get my layout up and running first.

What has the weather being like in Germany, a friend in northern Italy, said it is snowing quite heavy there,  it has being raining the last few days and being cold, very unusual  for February, yesterday was 19 degrees , today 29 and sun out, the week be in the low 30's over the weekend in the mid 30's hope the air con is fixed  by then.

My ship plans are coming along, have actually started marking out front Bow section, building the ship in sections , pics to follow may start a new thread on my ship.

Keep the good work going and pics flowing love your progress.

Tony from nice down under keeping on moving ahead

Hello Tony, yes I still plan DCC with Games-on-track, otherwise I could Start my own copper mill to produce the wires...

It was quite warm the last two weeks for January, but since two days it's cold again and today it had snowfall.

But I don't care, in 36 hours I'm in Egypt and there it's warm and sunny. 😎

My stagging yard will have 11 continuous tracks. Of these 11 continuous tracks, 3 tracks will still have a siding, so in the middle the yard will have 14 tracks parallel at one point. Side tracks are different from the continuous tracks in that you have to use one of the continuous tracks to reach or leave.

The continuous tracks provide sufficient length to park several trains one behind the other. The usable lengths are about between 10 and 15m. The sidings between 2 and 6m. Then there are still siding that are connected only on one side, for push-pull trains or railcars.

Thomas

G'Day Thomas, I am stuck with DC agree the only problem all that wire, to get more that one train running, still can have just as much fun , only think I wont be able to do is run a set of helper locos at the end of a train to tackle the grade, all my grades be 2 percent , 24 feet in length .

You wont have that problem having a permanent layout,  mine isn't , needing plugs one for each end, can still have  with DC running two to three locos up front,.

WOW that works out to be 35 to 40 feet in length,  my blocks are that long ,I am looking into either a vertical staging yard of draw  yard to save on points has being done, 

Have fun in Egypt, keep, take plenty of pics.

Tony from nice down under keeping on moving ahead

• 1 month later...

Hi Thomas, that is an awesome plan, I do that all the time with the points, mock-ups that way you can work out what size point and cross over fits in with the track plan drawing, I just finished redoing the points and cross overs on the approach module on my lay out car port end.

What I am lacking is a staging yard , comes down to being a budget layout , figuring out how I can work out a staging yard with out to much expense, will have two tracks  spare to make up a train   where I am not bending down.

Passed midweek of our holiday down the Gold Coast, we are staying at Labrador, before Surfers Paradise , going to Burleigh beach , there is a good walk  mountain there, this time I bought my Digital camera, here are a couple of pics, if you want more will send them in a message .

Have you heard of Sea World that is one of the ides and castle with the smoke, I will take another pic of the castle today, next pic Surfers Paradise high rises, going to take a pic tonight  of the building lit up , final pic of the new trams, I think they were built in Germany, a far cry from the old Brisbane trams in the 60's , sadly I remember a lot would of  being in my early teens.when the last tram ran in Brisbane, can go to the tram museum and go for a ride which I will do. 

Tony from windy Gold Coast down under keeping on moving ahead

DSCF1510  a.jpg

IMG_0851  a.jpg

IMG_0863  a.jpg

Hello Tony It was not so much about checking if the route was working more than cutting the cork ballast.

The Fleischmann tracks are with ballast, that of Peco I stick on cork.

I've to just 4 more tracks and than is the parking yard on the lower level in "the shed" done.

This is more a depot station than a staging yard.

On a higher level I will later have tracks to arrange trains etc.

Regards

Thomas

1521032056156556939857.jpg

15210320936411454469313.jpg

• Like 1

Winter is back with heavy snow here in Germany.

I had hoped to finish this weekend with the lower parking yard in the house finally, but in the last few meters I just noticed that I have bought two points too little.

On the other hand, after it was already 16 degrees Celsius last weekend, it does not look like this weekend as if I can already start building in the garden next week, so the delay at the parking yard in the house is not that dramatic.