Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

Found another guy in german railway forum who offered me to make points.

He is just 19 but his points are quite well!

He also offered to make whole sets of points (routes).

That saves me much money and gives new perspektives.

Naturally I will pay him for his work.

He has a H0 indoor layout and with 19 you'ill never have enough money for this hobby.

But for the before shown points I paid between 110 and 150 each....

...Euros.

If I pay him 50 to 75 Euros I save much. But his costs for material a just 3 Euros, so he earns money for his layout.

Hi Thomas, points are such an expensive item to buy when building any size layout or scale, no one tells you this when visiting a train show even train clubs. It is great you can find someone that will build you those points for a good price, but I think after building the fist point the rest be a breeze and you use a jig, I am thinking of building my own points , save some money.

https://www.walthers.com/walthers-code-83-track/show/60

Actually I just found a link to Walter's in America they sell code 83 curved points HO scale and different sizes largest 36inch outside curve, good price too $55 that will US of course, I am sticking will code100, all my points on the main line be the large express points. Peco do made a large curve point I think has a 5ft radius and inner curve 30inch what I am using on my curve sections but you need the cut a piece of track to put between the point to get the right width between the curved track, I may replace them with longer curved points.

This is where the HO scale garden railway comes in on it own, as you can have the layout as long as you like, the front of my layout is about 40feet long, I have good entrances into the station platforms, I will be using double slip and single slip cross overs to save on points.

I am well under way in working on the station modules, this weekend will see stage one of my station complex finished ready to start painting and back to the track and wiring gangs, will post the pics Sunday night and will join up the whole front of the layout from car port to spiral.

How are you going with you outside layout any progress .

Tony from down under starting to warm up 28 degrees today.

• 2 weeks later...

Start of construction will probably unfortunately nevertheless no longer be this year .

Apart from the fact that the delivery of the WPC is delayed, there are problems with the slab track.

The one who really wanted to help me in the production of slab track with 3-D Printers is "submerged".

Another guy who is able to do refused, he will just provide me with stuff printed by himself - and asked me to pay him about 60 Euros per meter track, rails not included.

I need about 150 meters....

9000 Euro for this? No way.

Tried some products from Shapeways but they are so rough that even with code 100 and RP -25 wheels the wheels rattle on the rail fastenings.

For N there is slab track available from Kato but in H0/00 not even a small volume manufacturers.

At the moment annoys me very this focus on the "Railway of grandfathers" in the field H0 / 00.

This frustrates me and takes away me just the desire to carry on.

Hi Thomas, that is sad to here only a few months to Christmas, I don't think I will even have a complete circuit running Christmas, only have half the layout, need more ply, have asked my mum for a gift card for Chrissie from our hard wear (Bunning) shop.

Must ask you what is the WSP is it the road bed as you are taking about rail joins being bumpy, I am not putting any underlay under my track as the train is still noisy anyway.

I have being figuring out the best way on how to cut the ply track curved base as there is too much wastage, thinking of cutting the curved decking in two foot strips and joining up another piece of ply that should make the curve section stronger, have thought of bending thinner strips of ply have seen that done on other layouts.

Not much work on my layout this week and next week only screw in hinges to fold the legs inside the station modules so I can put the modules in the garden shed, going down to Canberra next week for a couple of days and visiting Sydney Central station on the way home, be pure awesome.

Tony from down under,, keep moving ahead.

Thomas,

I've been working on plans, the construction of a shed, the clearing and rebuilding of part of the garden for nearly 10 years, so far not a metre of track is laid. There are however 300 metres of EM Gauge track stacked in boxes waiting £4.60, @ 5.30 euros, a metre. I'll be hand making my Points though, copperclad sleepers soldered to the rails, with cosmetic chairs on the railway inside the shed.

All you can do is keep pushing on trying to do a bit of work when you can.

I would of thought it fairly easy to build slab track yourself using copperclad board for the base, plus base plates then rails see here for parts:

http://colincraig4mm.co.uk/#/plain-track/4532599926

Or using plastic card for the slab using plastic baseplates, glued on, see here for parts:

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_347_348

and rail from Peco

In the UK Slab track is rare, even on modern railways, our HS1 high speed line is for the most part, still concrete sleepered track.

As for railway of the grandfathers, my own Model railway is in part, a tribute to, my grandfathers.

I would advise against making up permenant baseboards for the outside world with many pieces of wood particularly plywood, every joint is another possible leaking joint to get water or insects in to cause failure.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I make a calculation with base plates.

I will need about 300 plates for 1 metre of track.

5 plates cost 2,50 €.

300 plates makes than 150 €.

Ok maybe I will get a reduction when buying thousands of plates so 300 plates will make about 120 €.

Than ad rails, card, glue, paint and I will end with at minimum 140 € per metre track.

I was thinking about having slab track on both levels on my central station, each level with 12 tracks a 5 metres (= 120m) and the long straight part of my HSL, two tracks a 15m (=30m).

150 metres with costs of 140 € per metre says 21.000 € just for that.

And I'm not sure how stable it is outside with glued track.

I was thinking of doing slab track with parts made of Keramin and rails glued on that.

But I was not convinced that this will work as a lasting solution for outdoor.

But good news: I've talks with someone who has plastic injection molding machines and industrial 3-D-printer and is thinking about producing a slab track in which you only have to push the rails.

We both think there is a market in H0/00 for that and I offered him to buy 200m if the price is below 40 €/m.

He showed me first models and they were really very appealing.

There is one point in favor of slab track outside: No trouble with ballast.

With a young guy who is very talented in the production of turnouts in the method you mentioned I work on ideas for slab track turnouts (also one with moveable frogs).

He just told me he has also a idea for producing slab track for only 15€/m but has not spoken about details

I will use for the baseboard outside WPC and PVC and no wood, so water or insects will have no chance.

I've made plans for the last 20years.

But my health is uncertain. Maybe I will have 40 or 50 more years. Maybe I will not have just another 20 years.

I will see my trains on track. So I'm not in a hurry but time is a critical point.

Best Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas, good to see you are having some progress with those track bases, Kato has a simular set up worth a look into, would love a 3/D printer is on the wish list, I am modelling Sydney's Central station building, I haven't the room to build the building to scale but have cut back the width of the building, my building is about 4feet wide rea building is 8feet wide in HO scale, length will be the same still be a massive site indeed when finished.

I could use a 3/D to print out all the small pedestals for the fencing on the edge of the building, take ages to turn all of them and be able to print out my 737 fuselage sections and glue them together.

You can check Sydney Central on Google Earth.

It is warming up fast here now 31 degreed today that will slow me down picking on cooler days, I will be doing some woodturning in November making a wether station for a friends weeding birthday and Christmas present, be like the one in the pic, buying the weather gauges tomorrow.

What other progress have you made on your layout, I have just about finished building the last front module of my layout,would of being finished last week but had to go into hospital over night for day surgery the next day, still getting over it.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead :D:P

20160531_174147  a.jpg

Hi Thomas, I am not sure if this product from Kato is what you are planning to use, comes in N scale and HO scale, Kato also does Catenary in HO scale.

How are you going with the station building project can you get the building in kit form or have to scratch build it, that is my problem as I have to scratch build Sydney Central what my main station building is based on, have to scratch build East Perth station as well, being finding ,lots of pics on the net.

The Indian Pacific has two motor rail wagons, from Adelaide to Perth one from Sydney to Adelaide, be modelling the loading docks, extra fun with shunting

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Kato-HO-Scale-Model-Railroad-Train-Track/97168/bn_1644877/i.html

Tony from Down under keeping on moving a head.

Kato-23-060-Catenary-Set-n-Gauge-Double.jpg

In N Kato has Shinkansen-style slab track also with slab track bridges etc.

In H0 not.

I definitely have to scratchbuilt my station.

The hall will have 4.8m to 1.2m and will be 0.5m above the upper level of tracks.

_1_6ded90dd.jpg?c81e728d9d4c2f636f067f89cc14862c'

I will do the roof with glass only because I want to see the trains...

The walls and the outside of the station generally has no much details:

estacion-de-zaragoza-delicias.jpg

At one side I will replace the plain stone wall with a glass front like this:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/EYAK10/cologne-cathedral-railway-main-station-reflexion-building-face-glass-EYAK10.jpg''>http://c8.alamy.com/comp/EYAK10/cologne-cathedral-railway-main-station-reflexion-building-face-glass-EYAK10.jpg' rel="external nofollow">http://c8.alamy.com/comp/EYAK10/cologne-cathedral-railway-main-station-reflexion-building-face-glass-EYAK10.jpg

Reason is the same as with the roof: Better view at the trains.

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, that was disappointing then , so that link I sent you is different then.

Nice station building indeed, that roof be a challenge to build can you get assess to take pics of inside and any drawing, that is what I am hopping to get hold of, of Sydney Central, I wasn't there long enough to get heaps of pics, ringing the NSW State library today see if they can help

The width of my station building I 47inches long ( 1.193m) full width with suburban platforms 1.83m length is 5.5m longest platform can handle 17 passenger cars, famous Indian Pacific, any longer train has to split up to two platforms, I have a couple of You tube links on my post, what's the name of your station so I can check it on Google Earth. Normal times the IP train has 17 cars plus one motor rail peak times IP has 28 cars and two motor rail wagons.

Tony from down under keeping on moving a head

central_station  a.jpg

cf668f4a5ccf9502beabc4ed7d48330cfaa3dcab  a.jpg

• Like 1

My station is based on Zaragoza-Delicias.

But for the interior with to levels of track it will be based partly on Antwerpen Centraal.

And unlike Zaragoza-Delicias, my station will represent a right-angled quadrangle and not a oblique quadrangle.

At least I had the opportunity to expand my stock of high-speed trains.

I got another Thalys PBKA (the first one was in two-tone-red, the new one is just plain), a AVE S-102 "Pato" and a TGV RD 600

612_1094316953.jpg

4231806416_62c4f435c9_b.jpg

hj2056.jpg

All trains at full length, TGV and Thalys with 10 parts, the AVE with 9 parts.

Hi Thomas, nice indeed pretty good to have a second Thaly's set, where did you buy them from, I was disappointed when I bought my set it didn't come with the bar car hard item to get hold of, I could of bought some another the add on set which came with the bar car but he was more expensive than the guy I bought mine set from.

Like the TGV double deck train as well but I am more interested in getting a couple of Sydney double deck trains, they come in 4 car sets and you couple them together but there is the latest double deck train and it is a full 8 piece train I will have to scratch build them as the don't come in model form a shame, When I was down in Sydney we went to the airport in a new double deck train was pure was very indeed.

My TGV Thaly's has three colours .

Have being busy drawing up the plans of my Sydney Central version, can't do much else at the moment, got bad asthma coughing all the time can't even bend down at all.

Tony from down under, keeping on moving ahead

1395641150343  a.jpg

aussietmrail said:

Hi Thomas, nice indeed pretty good to have a second Thaly's set, where did you buy them from, I was disappointed when I bought my set it didn't come with the bar car hard item to get hold of, I could of bought some another the add on set which came with the bar car but he was more expensive than the guy I bought mine set from.

Like the TGV double deck train as well but I am more interested in getting a couple of Sydney double deck trains, they come in 4 car sets and you couple them together but there is the latest double deck train and it is a full 8 piece train I will have to scratch build them as the don't come in model form a shame, When I was down in Sydney we went to the airport in a new double deck train was pure was very indeed.

My TGV Thaly's has three colours .

Have being busy drawing up the plans of my Sydney Central version, can't do much else at the moment, got bad asthma coughing all the time can't even bend down at all.

Hi Tony

I bought the Thalys via e-bay.

The guy wanted to get 390 euros, after he did not get sold the train twice, I offered him 290 euros.

I thought more he is negotiating now and we meet at 340 or so ...

... but he accepted 290!

And this Thalys has also the bar car.

The TGV RD 600 is a unique combination of used TGV-Reseau motrices and new double deck intermediate cars.

These motrices lost their intermediate cars to the new engines of the TGV-Est-Europe.

This new-old TGV today drives as Lyria from Paris to Switzerland.

So the TGV RD 600 has second generation motrices like TGV Atlantique or TGV-Reseau or Thalys-PBA while the "real" TGV-Duplex has third generation motrices like the Thalys PBKA...

With the RD 600 I've both types of double deck TGVs...

...at the moment I do tests for the construction of escalators for my station. First time my 3-D-printer works helpfull...

Hi Thomas, that is awesome your set has a bar car, can I ask you a favour in taking a close up pic of both sides of your Thaly's bar car, then I can print the pics to HO scale and blue tack them to the side of mine easy way out , I don't think I could just be able to buy the bar car on it's own.

3/D printed escalators sure speed up the construction of having to scratch them, there are quite a few at Sydney Central station, very long ones, height from ground floor and first level is quite high, the stairs were quite steep.

Still working on my front plans of my Sydney Central.

Tony from Dow under keeping on moving ahead.

I use the printer to print the steps. The rest I will scratchbuilt.

There are kits available but they are expensive.

And the escalators in the posterior part of the station, primarily in the lower level, don't need to be so detailed, they are more than 1metre away from any viewer.

For the bar car: Give me a time and I think I can organise the set T678 for you.

If you want another full length Thalys red/silver (not purple/red/silver) with bar car, I just get one offered for 325 Euros... 8-)

• 3 weeks later...

Bad News: My TGV RD 600 got lost at Airport Paris Charles de Gaulle.

DHL will pay full damage, but the train is no longer availaible so I can't buy another one.

Good News: I and the guy with the factory for plastic injection moldings will for sure start to produce slab-track-elements to make a H0 slab track in style of the big concrete constructions company "Max Bögl".

http://www.vde8.de/mediathek/file/1338/dToFyLnkH0Bu24dvcJU-Usm1JTlViZHj_qXh0g8Yh7s/VDE-81-NBS_Feste-Fahrbahn_System-Boegl_b.jpg

We will offer these feature later in 2017 also for everyone else.

Hi Thomas, very sad to hear your TGV train was lost at Paris Post, looks like one of the staff pinched the TGV and sad it isn't on the market any more, good you could get your money back maybe ut the money on your slab track do you still use ballast, how I wish I had a 3/D printer, on the wish list,what about the curved slab track, that be a challenge.

My layout is coming along going to finish off the very last straight module that will link up all the front modules, the hot days have being slowing me down in the 30's today is a nice day not so hot.

I am going to start up new train club in Ipswich close to where I live so I don't have trave to the other side of Brisbane takes an hour to get there Zillmere and don't get much advice as well ask them a question can't help, time to change.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, hi Tony!

Got a Thalys PBA (the older one with the second generation TGV-like power cars) instead of the TGV-RD and an Amtrak Acela Express

Made today reservations for the new TGV PSE in Carmillon design from Jouef, the TGV Duplex in the same design from Mehano and TGV Lyria "de la neige" and TGV Ouigo both also from Mehano.

To have all TGV I now only miss a TGV-Atlantique, a TGV-Reseau and naturally a TGV-RD (I told you I don't like Airport Charles-de-Gaulle, right???).