Maximilianshafen

ThomasI

Hi folks!

I thought it's time to have a own thread for my layout under construction.

It's called Maximilianhafen because that was the actually alloted name for my hometown.

But surprisingly died king Max(imilian) and Ludwig became King of Bavaria and my hometown became a city under the name Ludwigshafen.

Hafen is the german word for "harbour".

Because I like High-Speed-Trains it will be free-lanced "on earth, advanced industrial country, presence".

Inside my home I've a room 2 x 10m for a storage yard (and later an indoor layout connected to this on top ).

The room has an tunnel through the walls of my home in the garden.

In the garden I plan to built two double track lines.

One as a electriefied and modernised line with origins from the 19. century, the other as a up-to-date HSL with slab track etc..

The HSL will have many bridges.

I will use DCC Digital with Roco Z21 and Smartphone via W-Lan.

For track I will use Code 83 material from Peco, Tillig, Walthers (also for Points) and Roco (only Flex).

But I will also use selfmade points (mostly for the HSL with large radii and small branch angle) and thanks of having a 3-D-printer I will have slab track by using Peco Code 83 and Tillig Code 83 rails.

And naturally there will be a big central station.

Modern style and with all tracks and platforms under a big hall. Model for the concourse is Zaragoza-Delicias.

The HSL will have differend catenaries as following:

- German style (as you might find on the ICE HSL)

- Italian Style (as you might find on the Florence-Rome-HSL)

- French Style (TGV lines, what else...)

- Chinese Style (as on the Chinese HSL)

Only for show .

The other line will also be electrified in conventional style typically for Germany (former West, former East, former Reich), France (25kV AC), Italy and Switzerland but I'm also think about making parts in the style of Amtrak's North East Corridor and I'm looking around for other interesting catenaries I can model.

So, that should be enough to open the theme .

• Like 1

Hi Thomas welcome to the garden railway 00 scale layout thread nice lot of pics of the start of construction of your layout I have neve seen screws used to nail down track, is the track set track by the look of it. Great idea the way you have cut the track base join, you wont be using the PVA brass computer plates for the module joins how I did my joins.

WOW those points are awesome what brand are they the trains will fly through them with ease, the longest points on my layout are the Peco express points about 11 inches long.

I will be working on my station modules today joining the first one to the spiral corner module and levelling it, three 6ft modules, plus the entrance module and last of all the new piece to fill the gap joining up the car port end to the front of the layout, big push this fortnight on my layout.

Have you started on the garden railway yet.

Tony from down under.

Budgie said:

Nice. I haven't seen moving-frog points modelled before.

Fleischmann has one in H0, but with a branch angle of 9.5° and a radius of ca. 700mm ...

I use it in a few places in the underground were trains shall branch off at speed.

aussietmrail said:

Hi Thomas welcome to the garden railway 00 scale layout thread nice lot of pics of the start of construction of your layout I have neve seen screws used to nail down track, is the track set track by the look of it. Great idea the way you have cut the track base join, you wont be using the PVA brass computer plates for the module joins how I did my joins.

WOW those points are awesome what brand are they the trains will fly through them with ease, the longest points on my layout are the Peco express points about 11 inches long.

I will be working on my station modules today joining the first one to the spiral corner module and levelling it, three 6ft modules, plus the entrance module and last of all the new piece to fill the gap joining up the car port end to the front of the layout, big push this fortnight on my layout.

Have you started on the garden railway yet.

Hi Tony!

The tunnel outdoor to indoor will be the only place were I will use screw.

But there the track is not allowed to move in any direction and with the Fleischmann track you can glue and use screws because it is ballasted track.

The points have now brand, I've bought them from a guy who is really experienced in building points because moving-frog was a thing I did not trust me. But now with a template , I 'll try it sometimes...

The big points are 720mm long and have a radius of 8350mm and a branch angle of ca. 3°.

They will be the biggest points on my layout.

For other module joins I will use these:

http://shop.fichtelbahn.de/Trackline-H0

I just finished my plan for the layout in the garden...

....the plan says I need 637m flex track. OMG!

Greetings

Thomas

• Like 1

Hi Thomas,

You're building a very impressive track there.

Although high speed is not my thing, I guess I'm confronted to much with it on a daily base :lol: .

It's nice to see people like you, and some others here on the forum, specializing or showing intrest in this era.

Keep us up to date, I will follow this with great interest.

And If the offer still stands, be sure want I to visit you one day, although the few modern rolling stuff I have is of little use on your track, as it all Is AC.

I'm sure your garden railway will be an inspiration to the modern railway fans, and defiantly an enrichment to this forum.

Cheers,

Danny

Hi Danny!

At first my gardener has to cut the djungle.

I told him and my better half they should not to plant as many plants but they ignored my advice.

So they've to reduce the flora now.

If finished I hope I will have a eye-catcher in my garden.

But I think that needs a few years.

Not only because of the needed working time, also because of the needed money.

Greetings

Thomas

Thomas, Rome wasn't build in one day. ;)

I to, don't have always the time and resources to work on my railway as I want.

My garden is also jungle at the moment, I hope to find enough time this Autumn to give all the trees and shrubs a serious cut back.

At the moment I'm buying every month a few packs of flexi track, I've calculated that I need about 450m of track. :D

As I mentioned, at the moment I'm doing experiments with signal, block systems everything controlled one DCC.

But I do hope, that by next year the first foundations will be seen.

Thomas wrote

The points have now brand, I've bought them from a guy who is really experienced in building points because moving-frog was a thing I did not trust me. But now with a template , I 'll try it sometimes...

The big points are 720mm long and have a radius of 8350mm and a branch angle of ca. 3°.

They will be the biggest points on my layout.

Hi Thomas wow those points must be nearly 3ft long be awesome to see the train fly through them yeah you can buy templates for straight and curved points now and buy already cut sleepers in that PVA coated brass computer pates I bought a pack of them years back and will have a go as well building my own points.

Thomas wrote

I just finished my plan for the layout in the garden...

....the plan says I need 637m flex track. OMG!

Gee that is a lot of track needed, have being using the older track from the old layout and being a five lengths of Peko flexi track every time I go into Ipswich hobby shop, works out a bit more expensive this but a box of track is now $150, I have 20 new lengths will keep on buying them that way.

Danny wrote

It's nice to see people like you, and some others here on the forum, specializing or showing intrest in this era.

Keep us up to date, I will follow this with great interest

HI Danny I too am designing my layout for high speed trains since I have a fee of them now Thaly's TGV one of them.

Thomas wrote

If finished I hope I will have a eye-catcher in my garden.

But I think that needs a few years.

Are you talking about plants of some sort of building structure, I will have two eye catchers on my railway and in the garden first the Oresund double deck cable stay bridge between Sweden and Denmark pure awesome and my station building. Set the first station module to the corner module yesterday and working out how I will modify it close to Sydney Central main line track leaving the platforms and walk ways road level, big job cutting gout today.

Cool morning again this morning, to a perfect day.

Tony from down under

Hi Thomas, yes the Oresund bridge I plan to build the bridge in four 6ft sections and the cable stays be out of 4mm dowel the smallest I can get hold of would like 3mm but not in long lengths. The Oresund bridge has two sets of cable stays of cable stays, I have thought of fencing wire be hard to straighten, piano wire is too dear to buy as for brass wires can't get the at the length needed. The next best thing is the 4mm dowel can get them at 3metre lengths, about $3 a length will have to start build the dowel soon, be some wastage though as the longest cable be over 6foot long.

With Sydney Central I will explain on my post how I will be building the building and station modules, won't be starting on the building till after I have being to Sydney in the first week of October, will be spending a few hours there taking lots of pics and some measuring if I can.

Not sure is I will start up another thread on the construction of the bridge and Sydney central.

How is your layout coming along started work on it, your track plan will you be posting it on your post.

Tony.

Hi Thomas, a very big WOW, what program did you use to do the drawing pure awesome, two levels a lot of work ahead, take our time, are you going to have a camera set up in a loco.

I only had a couple of hours work on the layout today, will have to set up the corner module where it goes and figure out a better way to bolt the first station module to it, had an idea I had worked out is having some teething issues bolts too hard to fit in place, won't get back to the layout till Monday now.

Oh yeah I bought two 5amp 18volt+one batteries for my Ryobi battery tools especially the saw needed some grunt, the new batteries passed in flying colours worth the expense.

Can't wait to see trains running.

Tony from down under.

Hi Tony

There is a point with three levels...

I use Wintrack 12.0

The Layout has 3 stages of construction

Stage 1.0 HSL from indoor-outdoor-connector to the point where it splits up.

Stage 1.1 Central Station

Stage 1.2 Rest of HSL

After Stage 1 trains can run.

Stage 2.0 Conventional Line (CL) from where it diverges from HSL to "Three Level Point

Stage 2.1. Tunnel "Three Level Point" to Central Station

Stage 2.2. 2 tracks from "Three Level Point" to Entrance Central Station.

After Stage 2 Central Station is opened on both levels.

Stage 3:

Rest of CL

Stage 3a

East Station ( just a idea)

Stsge 3b

3. track from "Three Level Point" to Entrance Central Station.

Greetings Thomas

Morning Thomas, it is evening over here, I had a cad programme years back they are handy when you know how to use them, can't beat the old pencil and paper, I have changed my track plan that much now, I think I have a good one, also. Like to test mock up modules mainly to see how the points fit on the module and how many point I need to buy.

Totally agree what you are saying building the layout in stages, I am doing the same, got no choice when it comes down to finances, even the station complex is split up in two stages all up six modules, points are an issue being so expensive.

I think too many modellers try to build their layout in a day, maybe I have bitten off more than I chew, but I am pushing on and in any case this layout is my dream layout and building a garden layout is the only way to have a big layout.

Looks like I will to set the two up where they go and level them, still having problems bolting them together, will have to change the bus wire plugs are in the way as well they will have to be changed, the next two station modules won't be as much trouble., need to get bigger hinges as well for the module legs.

When are you making a start on you layout.

Tony from down under.

Hi Thomas, that is all you need to make a start is 5oomm to get you motivated along, I will be replacing the small hinges on the corner leg modules today and moving the bus wire plugs up higher into the module frame work, blocking the bolts.

Last day of the Olympics, gee hasn't the two weeks gone fast glad to see it finished, our government needs to poor more money into our Olympic team like the Americans and British do.

Keep the pics flowing on the big build.

Tony from down under.

• 3 weeks later...

So the jungle has cut back.

I've changed the plans for entrance to the lower level of central station.

Now can 3 trains enter or leave to/from the south simultaneously and I need 3 points less and no diamond crossings.

On the other entrance all points will now be underground e.g. well protected against rain, sun and other weather.

I decided to built most of outdoor layout with WPC (Wood-Plastic-Composites).WPCs do not corrode or bow and are highly resistant to rot, decay, and Marine Borer attack, though they do absorb water into the wood fibers embedded within the material. They have good workability and can be shaped using conventional woodworking tools.

Hopefully next week my ordered WPC has arrived and I can start.