No more stores

traingeekboy

Hi,

Very sorry to hear you're loosing a familiar place that you could turn too for your hobby.

For some of us these local shops are like family, one knows the owner, ask for any advice etc.

I'll think that is something we will see more and more happening in the near future.

We have to face the fact that this hobby turns grey, models get more expensive and the internet offers a sharp price war between the retailers.

No wonder that a little bit of sad back force the small retailers to close.

For us it's a hobby but, they have to make a living out of that.

But I do hope despite the lost of your local store, that you'll find an other place where you can turn to.

And lets face it, it's still a great hobby and joy ;)

Cheers,

Danny

my local stores are roughly 20 miles away in 4 different towns /cities.

of the 4.

One Has just closed and gone to internet.

One I can never find it open and always has a sign saying something like "back in 2 hours".... The owner believed to be in the Pub.

One is brand new, and has a reasonable range, So we'll see how that goes.

One is well established, has a good range appears at shows and on the internet.

Sadly yes I believe many of the smaller Shops will go, not helped by Hornbys changes to their selling methods.

A local store is always great even if just to chat and get some information. My nearest is about a 20 minute drive away and carries a good range of commercial stock but at top dollar prices. A lot depends on the owners as well, he's ok but SHMBO is a misrable .......

Trouble is unless you just can't wait for something it's cheaper to go to Mr H. And get it cheaper. Went to a show last year and a large outlet was there spiting feathers because a small shop was there undercuting his price on a 2 HAL by a fair wedge. There was a bit of a who har about how he obtained his stock so cheap and who had supolied him.

The small shops survive on a small turnover at high(er) prices and the big ones rely on big turnover low price to do exatly the same thing.

Hi Griff, same is happening over here, bloody internet shopping is killing the smaller hobby shops, one shop in Brisbane only opens two days and on Thursday night now.

Not much on the south side of Brisbane in the way of hobby shops, my friend that lives in central QLD has to rellie on internet shopping where he lives.

The closest hobby shop to my s Ipswich, they are one of the luckier ones as they own that shop so have no over heads to worry about, still doesn't stock what I wanted to buy hopping he does get them in. Another hobby shop that isn't far from the train club I can stop in on the way home and pck up what I need.

Every thing has gone up in price, sometimes you can be lucky and buy it cheaper on eBay, but shipping from the US is very costly ok over there, I noticed that at the train shop.

Tony from down under, very sad indeed. :|:x

Hi Griff. It's always sad to lose something you're familiar with mate! As good a tool as the internet is, I can't help but feel it's the root cause of lot of businesses shutting up shop or just going on line. The overheads of running an online business are miniscule compared to running premises. I do think we all are slightly to blame as well as there's nothing easier than sitting in the house and ordering on-line. It won't be long before there's only online shopping available! :shock::shock::shock: regards. Mark

It seems there is quite some negativity towards the internet. :o

I do understand it up to a point, but un the other hand If it wasn't for the internet, the hobby was as good as finished for me.

Living here in Belgium as for the rest of mainland Europe, you wouldn't find a single UK model in any of the model shops.

All I find here are overpriced German/Swiss models, if I want to go for Belgian models I even have to dig deep in my pocket.

It just has become to expensive.

So the internet offers a good way to get hold of stuf I find interesting.

And not alone on the new stuf but also on the secondhand and the really rear models.

It is indeed so, as Tony mentioned, that the shipping prizes can be a real fun breaker.

I hardly buy something from the USA, not that the prise itself is bad, most of the time it's a real bargain.

But if you than have to calculate shipping and import taxes, makes that the item goes for 3 times it's own value :cry:

I think we could in general say, If it has to come from another continent, it better be super good, because good is to expensive.

Almost all the material I buy, I let come together with relatives I have in the UK.

The down side is, that I sometimes have to wait half a year, to see what I have bought :?

But un the other hand when you finally receive all the stuff you order, it's like waking up on Christmas morning, and that happens to be next week for me :lol:

At least now I know how the Australians feel at Christmas, when they celebrate it in high summer ;):lol:

But when I'm in the UK with relatives, and their is a very nice model shop in their neighborhood.

It's always like to go there, it's like entering Aladin's cave, jou don't know where to start looking, it's the magic, the atmosphere, the social contact, expertise and that is what you mis on the internet.

I have found a good balance between internet and model shop.

But I can't agree more, than to say that the shop is always the best, and most pleasant place to buy your stuff from.

Cheers,

Danny

Danny wrote

But I can't agree more, than to say that the shop is always the best, and most pleasant place to buy your stuff from.

Hi Danny can agree what you are saying as there is lots of bargains to grab if you look hard enough, I have a friend that is like you the closest hobby shop is Rockhampton, he lives on the coast two hour drive one way, buys all his train stuff on the net one of the lucky one that can buy what he wants.

I have a Hemano model of the Thaly's TGV 10 car set, both locos are powerd and I did well as if I bought from a hobby shop would of cost pretty close to $1,000, started off with from the seller a 6 car set and he ordered the other four coaches.Pity couldn't get hold of the bar car, latest colour scheme and DCC on board, would like to change to sound on board will come later looking for the right sound decoders, don't like the Mehano sound, this bloke makes up trains for you, would like the Euro train.

Tony from down under

Thanks for the words guys. It is sad to see happen. I have poured a lot of cash into that store over the last 15 years, that is when I moved closer and visited it a lot.

I am as much to blame as anyone since I switched to doing european trains which they do not carry. But I did buy all my garden railway's track, nails, tools, etc there.

Tony,

I have made the mistake of buying from overseas. I end up paying in store prices due to shipping anyway.

I suppose like the rest of you, I will have to change my railway habits. There are some items you just can't buy anywhere else and being able to actually see the thing before you buy it is a thing of the past I guess.

aussietmrail said:

...I have a Hemano model of the Thaly's TGV 10 car set, both locos are powerd and I did well as if I bought from a hobby shop would of cost pretty close to $1,000, started off with from the seller a 6 car set and he ordered the other four coaches.Pity couldn't get hold of the bar car...

@Tony

Do you mean the HO Mehano Thalys model?

If yes, I also got the complete set, but AC version.

That is a very nice train set.

At the beginning of my career, I had the chance a few times, to drive the real thing.

Now and then I still take it, when I have to turn back from Köln, when there is no return train for me.

A normale complete set would be bought in 3 different boxes to complete 1 train, and normally there should be only one powered engine.

Each box contains 4 coaches (Mixed wit the engines)

Or 10 coaches and 2 engines (only one powered), making it a very long train, idle to run on a long modern garden railway. :D

It seems that what you've bought is a not complete, but mixed set.

In this case you should have two the same numbered engine's, or the numbering has been tampered with?

Of corse that is something not to worry about,it still is a very nice set.

I think these sets are still available here in the local model shop, if you want I can have a look if they still have bar coach set?

Or if you're patient, I'm sure going to find it at the Köln or Dortmund (Germany) model fair.

It's even possible I get it at a bargain price there.

Let me know if I can help you?

As for anyone, if you look for a continental European model, you always may ask me, I know a few interesting addresses to turn to.

If I can help someone in his quest, I would be glad to do so.

On an other steam toys forum that I often visit, it is a common practice where we help each other to find things or help to drop shipping prices.

Cheers,

Danny

• 2 weeks later...
aussietmrail said:

Hi Danny can agree what you are saying as there is lots of bargains to grab if you look hard enough, I have a friend that is like you the closest hobby shop is Rockhampton, he lives on the coast two hour drive one way, buys all his train stuff on the net one of the lucky one that can buy what he wants.

I have a Hemano model of the Thaly's TGV 10 car set, both locos are powerd and I did well as if I bought from a hobby shop would of cost pretty close to $1,000, started off with from the seller a 6 car set and he ordered the other four coaches.Pity couldn't get hold of the bar car, latest colour scheme and DCC on board, would like to change to sound on board will come later looking for the right sound decoders, don't like the Mehano sound, this bloke makes up trains for you, would like the Euro train.

Tony from down under

Danny wrote

They want 1000 AUD for the Mehano Thalys as EMU-10?

That's about 690 Euro right?

Here I got it for 330 Euro, with DCC for 410....

...so it's the same down under with stuff from here as for us with stuff from the US...

Hello Danny, Yes it is the DC Mehano version, to start of with I bought he first set a 6 car set and the seller actually powered the dummy loco and both do have the same running number with I didn't know thinking the second loco had a different number, I will check if our XPT sets have the same practice as in Europe for full sets.

At the time all the extra add on sets were sold out and the seller had a lot of trouble getting in the extra four add on coaches, no bar car is what I am missing, but I have a 10 car set, be great if I can just get the bar car, yes a very nice set indeed, was thinking of getting a different brand bar car.

It would be great if you can find that out Danny and Thomas has ordered a Mehano 10 car set with the bar car but the I think the bar car would come in with the four add on set, looks like Mehano has done a rerun , my price train set now, one day will replace the DCC on board with two sound decoders getting the right sound card

Tony from down under

aussietmrail said:

...It would be great if you can find that out Danny and Thomas has ordered a Mehano 10 car set with the bar car but the I think the bar car would come in with the four add on set...

I already mentioned that the total set is 12, 2 engines and 10 coaches.

So 3 boxes and each box contains 4 vehicles.

But what really raises questions with me, why would you motorize the dummy loco?

The one loco in my set is powerful enough to give motion to the total train, and has more power than realistically required.

Is it perhaps that a Märklin type 3 rail AC system has more grip?

Perhaps Thomas knows a good sound decoder as they are not my field of intrest.

@ traingeekboy, thank for sharing the news footage of your local train store, and boy what a store it is, I can imagine that you loose a few hours walking around in that store.

Yes, I really can understand you that the disappearance of such a shop I a real sad thing.

I do hope though for you, that perhaps a new location can be found, as there was a small chance, according to the news footage

Cheers,

Danny

Nuvolari said:

I already mentioned that the total set is 12' date=' 2 engines and 10 coaches.

So 3 boxes and each box contains 4 vehicles.[/quote']

\ said:

...It would be great if you can find that out Danny and Thomas has ordered a Mehano 10 car set with the bar car but the I think the bar car would come in with the four add on set...

Thalys PBKA and Thalys PBA have, as also the most TGV exept of TGV-A, 10 parts i.e. 2 engines and 8 coaches.

Have a look at railfaneurope.net were he is showed a EMU-10.

Only the TGV-A(tlantique) has 10 coaches and is EMU-12.

The standard platform lenght in Europe is 410m for long distance trains.

As EMU-10 the TGVs are about 200m so the standard platform lenght can handle a duo.

TGV-A is about 240m long.

It's the same with the ICE-2 and ICE-3.

A full lenght ICE-1 has a lenght of about 400m. But they are "lonely rider".

It's the same with both Eurostars.

But what really raises questions with me, why would you motorize the dummy loco?

The one loco in my set is powerful enough to give motion to the total train, and has more power than realistically required.

If it is a Mehano Prestige ( as my Thalys) it's okay with one powered loco.

But if the locos are Mehano Hobby (as I have for my TGV Duplex but with added details and lights and with Prestige intermediate cars) than it's better to motorize the dummy.

At least if you want to have it going up a 3,5% incline with can be found on HSL and also planned for my HSL on my layout.

Perhaps Thomas knows a good sound decoder as they are not my field of interest

They aren't my field too.

Cheers

Thomas

ThomasI said:

..Thalys PBKA and Thalys PBA have, as also the most TGV exept of TGV-A, 10 parts i.e. 2 engines and 8 coaches.

As EMU-10 the TGVs are about 200m so the standard platform lenght can handle a duo.

It's the same with both Eurostars...

I totale agree with you Thomas, but your are speaking about composition in reality.

I refer to how Mehano sells them.

Nuvolari said:

I totale agree with you Thomas, but your are speaking about composition in reality.

I refer to how Mehano sells them.

\ said:

...Thalys PBKA and Thalys PBA have' date=' as also the most TGV exept of TGV-A, 10 parts i.e. 2 engines and 8 coaches.

It's the same with both Eurostars...[/quote']

Mehano sells:

1. 2 Locos plus first and last intermediate cars = 4

2. 3 intermediate cars = 3

3. 3 other intermediate cars = 3

4 + 3 + 3 = 10

:oops: Yes you are correct Thomas, I just had a look, everything is stored away here, I had to dig them out, I suppose I must run my models more often :lol:

I bought the set at the time when I was in training as a train driver, I have a model of all types of trains I drove, but these types do not come out of their box as much as they should do.

Specially the ultra modern stuf like the Thalys, It's a beautiful set but it needs long stretches to become realistic, like a garden rail.

But than again your garden rail should look as modern as your material, and that is not what I'm aiming for.

Nuvolari said:

:oops: Yes you are correct Thomas, I just had a look, everything is stored away here, I had to dig them out, I suppose I must run my models more often :lol:

I bought the set at the time when I was in training as a train driver, I have a model of all types of trains I drove, but these types do not come out of their box as much as they should do.

Specially the ultra modern stuf like the Thalys, It's a beautiful set but it needs long stretches to become realistic, like a garden rail.

But than again your garden rail should look as modern as your material, and that is not what I'm aiming for.

When I have finished the first tracks and train can run, come with your trains and spend a weekend with me....

...you want have a model of all train types you drove, I want a piece of rolling stock from every country I've visited.

We both definitely are nerds! :lol:

Hi Danny and Thomas,

Danny wrote

The reason for powering the dummy as I have grades on my layout, spiral is 2 percent quarter inch a foot 24 ft spiral length on a 6inch height on the lower level.

The train club is even worse in steep grades and tighter spiral than mine will be plus it is realistic as well push.

I read in one of your post that you are a train driver Danny , I have a friend in Central QLD, he drives the electric coal trains.

Thomas you are talking about TGV train lengths here is a pic where they have connected two sets together gee you would need a very long platform but then again the Euro train has 18 passenger cars, a train that is on the wish list, always wanted the Euro stay especially the latest colour scheme.

My longest train has 17 cars two locos and a car carrier, at peak holiday the train grows to 27 cars too long for platform one Sydney central has to split up on platforms two and three, going to be a while before I finish Sydney Central, 6modules all up.

This is one of my favourite pics have it as my desk top on the lap top, wish I thought of when I bought the Thaly's from Brogan should of asked him to modify the front cab so one day could have two sets.

Tony from down under, days are warming up still cool in the morning and evening

3378_1271106051  a.jpg