hi from the north

hello all

I'm not far off 30 now, had an obsession with trains from an early age, had a Hornby trainset when I was around 12, and was real interested for a few years, then other teenage interest took over, I sold it all off, and then last year I had an urge to build a layout. although the interest had always kinda remained with me.

I have a good large space in my loft, which is fully boarded out & insulated, with a staircase going up, so no pesky loft hatches to hinder things

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Although the forum is primarily intended for OO gauge out in the garden I am sure you will find an interested audience around here. I suppose a large majority of our members would be indoor modellers given the space you have at your disposal and with easy access too.

I myself have made a start on adding tracks round my loft, which unfortunately isn't insulated but is accessed by a good sized ladder, but my primary interest is running trains outdoors as I prefer the natural scenery and natural lighting.

Have you already made a start on the layout, or is it still under consideration?

Hi i did make a start, in N gauge but i kinda got stuck, i can picture what i want, but when it comes to getti g the thoughts out of my head and onto paper, i just hit a brick wall.

I intend to start all over again in OO once i have a plan

20151029_150958_zpsukhgrqj0.jpg

northernmara said:

...i can picture what i want, but when it comes to getti g the thoughts out of my head and onto paper, i just hit a brick wall....

I can relate to that. Usually I'm like that for days on end and then all of a sudden something clicks and I'm up and running.

You've made a great start with getting the attic ready - it looks very welcoming, unlike mine, and you've got natural light in there too. It's a pity about that section extending outwards - is it a chimney breast? Looking at what you've got to play with I'd seriously consider rounding off the corners of the baseboards to allow for larger radius curves - just needs a triangular fillet of wood adding to the 90 degree corners.

If you're not sure exactly what you want then just start small, maybe just a couple of running lines in order to get something moving. I tend to keep things very basic because that's where I feel most comfortable. When things get complicated I get flustered.

Going by the stock on view it looks like you're a 'modern image' man? Is that the way you see things developing? That's the kind of stock I will be running in my attic when I get round to getting it operational - all the stuff I won't be running outdoors.

Yes the narrow section is chimney breast, that was supposed to be a tunnel :D just to hide the fact it narriwed in

20150726_204722_zpsrrxhyr4g.jpg

I like diesels & freight firstly. But iv seen some "steam" models and fancy them too. I always wanted a 156 for my hornby many years ago, but never got one so i bought one for the hell of it :D

I guess i just dont know what i want.

Im even doubting weather to stay N gauge or go OO now,