Modelling Modern Shipping Containers in HO scale and wagons.

aussietmrail

Here is my latest project modelling modern shipping containers, big business for the railroads and what they do best .

I have made a start on scratch building 6 48ft containers, at this stage a bare shell has no detail will come later, I bought 2 sets of 5 unit double stack container well wagons, aim is to buils a complete train of those well wagons, It is an awesome site indeed to heaps of containers with the same logo, also 48ft containers are getting hard to find now with the new 53ft double stack container well wagons coming out, will have a go at scratch building a setoff then on top of building the Aussie stile well wagons.

First two pics are of my 6 48ft containers third is the Aussie double stack containers and last of all the ones I bought off the US eBay, back to the Aussie containers you will see what I mean, just pure awesome, so much expense in those containers.

Everyone is welcome to join in with their container models, also aiming to build in front of the layout a container port, be nice to have working container cranes, I will also find out the class of the Aussie wagons are.

Tony from down under :):D:P:roll:

$_1.jpg

P7100091  a.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

Are the card container kits suitable for your needs Tony? There seems to be a growing selection of them available these days and I wouldn't expect they'd be too expensive. Might save you a lot of time.

Mick wrote

Are the card container kits suitable for your needs Tony? There seems to be a growing selection of them available these days and I wouldn't expect they'd be too expensive. Might save you a lot of time.

Yes Mick as you say the container RTR model is quite dear now to buy, I rang a hobby shop in Brisbane and they quoted me $48 for four 48ft's would cost me $240 for 20, on top of the two 5 container wagon sets, ouch I think the card ones will be the way to go, Decals are getting hard to come by as well, trying to get decals enough for three containers, Have a few links where I can buy card container kits, cheap way is a few containers for $6 and glue them onto the shells I have made.

Actually I am surprised that the card container I made is about the same weight as the one I am copping from, easy to wack in a bit of led in the middle of each container, be an awesome site 30 double stack containers with mixed containers.

It is starting to rain here, big event tomorrow, they say 300mm's 80 over night, thanks Mick :lol::P

Tony from down under

Thanks Roddy, had a look on eBay, quite reasonable price wise can get a few sheets at once cheaper way to go , to buy in a printer shop will cost more.

Can get smart and buy some logo decals and print them a way out. Watched a video and they say lazar printing is best suited for decals, there is a printer shop in our shopping centre that does lazar printing will ask him for a price.

Tony from windy down under

China_Water_Transfer_printing_Paper_A4_Size_white_transprant20121223142198.jpg

Have found out there are four classes of Aussie Double stack container wagons, AQYY, PQYY RQYY and RRXY.

There isn't much difference between the PQYY and RQYY, AQYY difference has a square bar on the side frame, RRXY is close to the US container well wagons.

Bottom pic is AQYY, second form bottom PQYY, Third RQYY forth RRXY, there many be another container well wagon by SCT could be the same as RRXY but top pic is for Mick and Chris found it searching for the Aussie ones.

Mick do you if the British double stack their container well wagons.

Here is a you tube link on the Heljan container crane review, pretty awesome , a must kit to buy up in the $900 mark, ouch , one day be fun.

Tony from windy down under :P:roll:;)

A23 (Large)  PN AQYY  a.jpg

2-PQYY7083 (Large)  a.jpg

5-RQYY (Large)  a.jpg

a-RRXY (Large) Toll.jpg

1280px-Banbury_box_car_2001_1st  a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have finely finished 10 containers three are refrigerated containers, plan to make another 7 of them, but I have a gut feeling that they didn't bring out any 48ft refrigerated containers will stop at three till I find out can only find 40 and 53foot refrigerated containers.

Is taking too long to scratch the refrigerating units decided to buy 5 of them , came across an Aussie eBay shop that sells them, Athearn and other mobs are bringing out new refrigerated containers with modern refrigerated power units.

I came up with a new technique on building the containers out of cardboard, once I cut all the parts it didn't take long to glue together, here they are.

Second bottom pic I glues the thin strips to the sides third op pic I glues the sides on forth top pic is the finished container after gluing the side and top on

I had an error with this post and ended up sending two of the same Mick can you delete the bottom post, thanks.

At this stage I will only make three on the refrigerated containers, have a gut feeling they didn't have a 48ft refrigerated container, 10 more containers to build

Tony from down under

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

Thanks Mick, yeah I have tried that Chris in one of the containers, wasn't happy because it had a rounded edge rather than a sharp edge when I folded it.

I am thinking about cutting up some timber to the size of the container light pine have heard other modellers doing that, next one I may have a go out of wood the refrigerated containers will be a challenge, ill need timber an inch wide then glue some styrene on the side to build up to 27mm wide.

Probable be easier to add decals to styrene rather than timber side.

Going to my train club tomorrow to run the two new double stack container well wagons, only have one container in them till I make some more, pics to follow and video should look good with 15 of the double stack wagons, can only dream in having a full train like in the video clip especially the blue containers.

Tony from down under

I ran the two Con-cor double stack 5 unit container well wagons on Tuesday pass in flying colours but not with a few issues, to being my fault, didn't think to check to see it the lead wagons had couplers on them, spent most of the morning at the train club figuring out how to fit them on with using any glue.

Came up with using tape it did work for a while, at least I got two runs around the club layout before the failed :cry: in the next couple of days will fit no;5 kadees to them ready for the next time I go to the train club in July, hopping it is a quiet day so I can run the three sets together.

The train club has a 10 foot train length, on quiet day you can run longer trains wont be an issue on my layout longer the better, will need more locos as I can make up two container trains now, these 48ft container well wagon sets are pretty long, be after some more, be an awesome site indeed.

I had to take out the first three container well wagons out wanted to take the pic first to show how the wagons will look with double stack containers, I would like to a rake of blue containers be awesome , all up I now have 15 of the double stack container wagons can only dream to have a full train of them be very expensive train indeed by the time you buy containers for them , that's the trouble when modelling modern container trains.

We are having another wet weekend again won't be as bad as two weeks back, ground is still wet wont take much to flood.

Tony from down under. :roll::roll:

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got heap of container card sheets for my birthday, actually the card container is not a bad model at a distance and a good cheap way in having a lot of containers to have stacked up high in your container terminal.

At the moment am using blue tack to hold the two containers together until I drill holes in and glue pins like the real thing, I have being busy as well replacing the couplers on the double stack container wagons to kadee's with at this stage no.9's till I get no; 5 kadee's

The cardboard I use for inner of the card container to give a bit of weight and strength as well did think of timber would of made the container too heavy and too much work, this way it is pretty quick once you cut the cardboard to size and doesn't take long to cut fold and glue a container.

Las week I got another 5 of those refrigerated units all up got eight of them, may buy a couple of 53ft containers to go by to build the refrigerated ones, something different. I plan to also scratch build what Union Pacific call a arrow head container which they put in on top of the front container of the train something to fuel efficiency, pics to follow.

Tony from cool down under

006  a.jpg

007  a.jpg

008  a.jpg

I have finely finished making up 10 card containers and four are 20footers,have turning out quite well, great for being on a budget since the plastic RTR containers are so dear to buy, I got the card container sheets for my birthday.

I have one more special container to build now ready for when I go tot he train club Saturday fortnight 16th and my newest NR loco duty will pull the new container train and Indian Pacific after, pics to follow of the last container, specially designed to cut the wind drag on the containers.

Came up with an idea in stead of using blue tack I decided to drill the corners and use a thin plastic rod, to my surprise it worked, would liked to have the pins shorter but would not of held the top container in place.

Next job is to build the 8 other refrigerated containers now I have units, can wait a while want to get back into the layout and sort out the double deck bridge at the back of the layout 24feet long wides spad 14feet.

Tony from down under

IMG_0641  a.jpg

IMG_0643  a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

:P Here is a video clip of my container train and close up of the newest NR class loco pulling the train, did have some issues with the couplers coming a drift, will have to glue in the couple plate of the Con- Cor double stack container wagons.

will make sure first I will have the whisker type kadee couplers, the Bachman couplers are a lot thicker than the Kadee's. other than that the train ran well with the card containers looking ok at a distance, even the 48ft containers I made and glues on JB Hunt decals was a big hit as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZUyVizrAk

[Video showing as unavailable]

Tony from Down under :roll::roll::D:lol: