The actual track!

Purbeck

I had some old Hornby track when I started. I've used it in the shed. All the new track I've bought has been Peco. You should have no problem mixing and matching between the two if you stick to Code 100, and you don't want to be using Code 75 outside anyway.

As others have just said, the best advice is to use Peco code 100 Streamline nickel silver flexible track outdoors in one metre lengths. It allows you to lay nice smooth large radius curves and eliminates a lot of the rail joins necessary with sectional track. Much of mine has been down for 8 years now with little or no sign of deterioration. I've used code 75 in the attic for it's finer appearance but would definitely suggest code 100 outdoors.

I believe the latest Hornby track is now made from nickel silver but their earlier track had rails made from steel or steel with a nickel silver coating and should be avoided at all costs outdoors. You can check using a magnet which kind you have if you are unsure but if it's short sectional track anyway then it really would be better to make the change to Peco.

I have just relaid my OO gauge track - some of this is actually being used for the 3rd time! I haven't used any of the new track I have in store and I still have probably enough previously used track to completely relay what I have just laid! It is all naturally weathered, some looks a complete mess, but with a quick rub of the fine rubbing block, it all runs fine - I haven't even started bonding rail joints yet. This is all Peco code 100 - with care, it will last for ages. 

I was aware that Hornby was Nickel Silver these days. Not sure from when so nice to know. I have a mix of old and new track. Hopefully all will be nickel silver. I'll use that for now as I can't justify buying whole new track at min. Unless I could sell mine. Maybe an option and go for the longer flexible track of Peco's.

Edited by Dav2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

Is there any difference in the durability of peco concrete sleeper flexi to that of wooden sleeper when used outside?..

None that I've noticed Barry. I've used both types and haven't had a problem with either.

Excellent, I've bought a box of SL-102.

I have seen comment on forums elsewhere that the concrete sleeper track was less durable outdoors. I couldn't see a reason for this, if anything the light colour should absorb less light and heat. I'm thinking it is probably one of those falsehoods that has passed into conventional wisdom.

I've already received a reply, sent at 8.39 this morning regarding concrete sleeper track.

A Beard, PECO Technical Advice Bureau, said

"Thank you for your email. I can advise that this sleeper base also uses UV stabilised plastic."

So there we have it.

I wonder whether the same applies to Hornby track. Of course they use different factories but they are responsible for the specification. Roco in Austria, at one time made track for Hornby, and when production moved to China, they supplied the same track to Bachmann.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Riddles said:

...."Thank you for your email. I can advise that this sleeper base also uses UV stabilised plastic."...

That's reassuring to know. Thank you.

The concrete sleepered track I lifted from my ground level section late last year showed no obvious signs of deterioration after 7 or 8 years other than some bleaching of the colour so I was pretty confident in using it again this time. However, I do believe the design of the sleepers has been changed since then.

42 minutes ago, Riddles said:

I've already received a reply, sent at 8.39 this morning regarding concrete sleeper track.

A Beard, PECO Technical Advice Bureau, said

"Thank you for your email. I can advise that this sleeper base also uses UV stabilised plastic."

So there we have it.

Thank you.

As I thought then, an old wives tale that gets repeated. Good to know my 24 pack isn't wasted.

• 1 year later...

We've not discussed track much on here. Peco works fine, get on with it....

However. 12 years in. some of my sleepers are looking rather white.IMG_1674.thumb.jpeg.d93e42520dcc4120eb9ff3d650c19ac5.jpeg

It hasn't effected the points, which are off a similar vintage.

IMG_1675.thumb.jpeg.76f15275639f0b422480bc2e969437e0.jpeg

I'm assuming its an UV issue because it's only happened to lengths of rail that are on the sunny side of the railway.

The track section on the right here has been out for nearly 8 years, rather than 12.

IMG_1676.thumb.jpeg.d0d82fb1851368bed8ebf97cfa55e66c.jpeg