Moss

traingeekboy

I had an odd thought today about scenery - MOSS

452637381.jpg

Most of you guys live in places where all kinds of moss grows all on it's own. We've talked about getting moss to grow on things before, but never as scenery. I wish I could try this , as it sounds kind of fun, but I live in a climate that is so dry that my ideal scenery material is dust. :lol::lol::lol:

So my question is this: Why not encourage moss to grow next to your tracks so that you can have scale grass on your railway?

It seems like the thymes and things like that are great for shrubs, but a nice layer of moss growing on the roof felt? Is it even possible?

I am pretty sure fungus was using quite a bit of it. It just seemed to grow on his layout because of it's location and height.

I don't know much about growing it, but if I could try it I would. Who's going to get out the yoghurt and try this?

Griff. I like the idea of using moss and tried to on HFR, but it just didnt happen. I tried the yoghurt and wee methods and both failed. Now I am back up and running - yes running :D - I might have to give it another go - or maybe I will just stick to putting in a little pond 8-)

I have some moss, but in my hot location the sun kills any moss it see's. My moss has to be very much in the shade. I can only keep moss alive in a few dark corners. If you live somewhere with less sun and a section of layout with shade it should work.

To grow moss there where you want is not always significant.

These are the things moss in general does not like and or needs:

-No sun

-no dry spots

-a constant supplier of most, idle is a constant high humidity air that surrounds the moss

-a good thick layer compost soil (dead leaves, used tea) the compost should act as a drainage, but in the mean time keep enough most, or being able to evaporate huge quantities of most

-some type of stone, such as granite mix in the soil also helps, but not all stone is suitable.

-no artifiscial compost or ground supplements.

So if you take everything in consideration, the places where you want to grow moss next to an open railway will be very hard to realize.

A good alternative is low growing sedum, the type they use to cover roofs, this is a very hardy plant that does well in nearly every space.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,

Danny