DC sound???

Baimor

Hi,

Once a teacher of mine sad, there is not such a thing a dom question, there are only dom answers :D

I'm also making the transition to DCC, almost all my OO locomotives got DCC decoders now.

I call it "going to the dark side" :lol:

I've done 17 last weekend and still need to do 5.

I've no experience with sound generators, but what I've seen last weekend, is that some locomotives got really tight spaces.

And I'm convinced that small locomotives can't be fitted at all.

So instead having half my locomotives fitted, I rather prefer non are fitted.

Although I do admit that a sound generator fitted engine makes quite an impression.

But what I really advice is the step over to DCC, not cheap I admit, but worth while.

Cheers,

Danny

l have seen the train tech system in use on DC locos and was quite impressed with it. They have there own battery power source and in steam locos it just fits in the tender. They say that theres no need to remove the battery unless locos out of use for long periods. If its a small loco you can fit it in a wagon or carridge. There is another system (name escapes me) same type of system but theres a remote control that allows you horns, whisltles etc. Both are a cheaper alternitive than the DCC system but with less finese or options.

Thanks for that Jimbob. I'll Google it now then check the E of the bay. :D:D Or do yo know of a supplier? And Nige!! I went and visited the carlton today! Really wish I hadn't! !! :cry::cry::cry: It looks like it's spent 20 of its 23 years at the bottom of the sea!! I swear it must have more rust than titanic!!!

This was posted some pages back, but to save sifting through, here is the video again with the sound modules laid in trucks behind engines.

battery life is approx 3 hours and the sound isn't actually ear bashing, but it does give a little atmosphere to the railway.

standardstation.jpg

I'm not sure why the standard DCC soundchips (i.e. Loksound etc) are so expensive. It's a small mass produced chip attached to a cheap speaker. It can't be that much different from the less expensive chips as used in Hornby's TTS system can it? I feel we've been overcharged for some time but as I like the addition of DCC sound to my loco's I've felt it necessary to pay up - even if there's a good deal of disappointment with some of them.

I've got none of the cheaper DCC sound options so I'm not in a position to offer any comparisons. Some of the ones I do have are excellent but there are a few that could be better shall we say.

Personally I think the addition of sound to a model loco is worthwhile - more especially with diesel loco's - but it's important for you to hear before you buy. I have some class 24s, 26s, 47s and a 55 that would have you purchasing right away but these are mostly very recent issues - the quality of sound is improving all the time. I love the sound of a real class 37 but surprisingly I've yet to be blown away by a single one in miniature form.

The thing with the expensive Loksound and Zimo decoders, is that they can be "re-blown" if you don't like the effects you've bought. I bought a 21 pin Class 57 decoder and when I opened it up found that the loco was actually fitted with an 8 pin socket. I had it re-blown with steam sounds for a 21 pin fitted steam loco and then bought the right 8 pin Class 57 decoder.

The sound projects on Hornby TTS decoders can't be changed so if you don't like it, you are stuck with it, hence one of the reasons for the price difference. I've read that it is like comparing a pressed vinyl (or shellac) record with a tape cassette. TTS locos are well worth the £25 or so extra in my opinion but I feel the sound of the "fireman's breakfast" is a useless gimmick.

Edited by Guest

It's not only the firemen's breakfast that's a useless gimmick to me. I really enjoy the loco engine sounds, feel a bit embarrassed at times when blowing the horn, especially if there's someone close by, but closing the cab door.... who does that? How come it's cool to hear a door close when you don't actually see it opening in the first place?

:lol::lol: I just wanted a little bit more "realism" than silent locos running round. I've placed an order with train tech so will report back in due course. Might even put a video on if I can work out how the hell to do it!! :x:x:x