DCC in combination with live steam

Nuvolari

Hi,

I'm still in my planning stage, nothing concrete jet.

I'm planning to integrate the Hornby DCC system.

I'm also very intrested in live steam, and Horby made some beautifull OO live steam locomotives.

Like I understand it, those locomotives come with also somekind of DCC control given over the tracks.

My question is, can both systems run at the same time?

Cheers,

Danny

Unfortunately Hornby live steam locos will only operate through the R8205 transformer/controller. A separate circuit is necessary and only one engine at a time can be run. Of course the feed wire could be re-connected to a DCC system when the live steam loco is taken off. There is some useful information on oolivesteam.com . I am sure that Hornby live steam would have been much more popular if it had used DCC but the technology is very different.

Craig (member 'doublecee') is our knowledgeable expert regarding OO Live Steam. He runs them on his outdoor layout so should be able to offer advice if he sees the post. As Riddles rightly says, the two control systems are not compatible but I'm sure the http://www.oolivesteam.com' rel="external nofollow">OO Live Steam Club will be able to point you in the right direction.

There was another completely different attempt by a small company based, I think, in Southport. That used butane to heat the water but the regulator was controlled by track power. There would have been a better chance of adapting that system to DCC than the Hornby Live Steam system, I should think. The locos used either Hornby-Dublo diecast bodies or brass fabricated ones. Amazingly, OO9 narrow gauge locos were also demonstrated. The company MAY have been called Scalespeed, not to be confused with another company in the Southampton area. I think the locos were hand made to order. I imagine this would have been about 20 years ago but I can't be certain.