SKEW BRIDGE - Attic Layout

mick

There have been some quite good videos where people have used real recordings overlaid on the model video.

There have been some awful ones too where the sound doesn't match up, usually because the real train is far longer than the model or going at a completely different speed.

You'd have to choose your sound recording first and then match the speed of your train for the video, it might be too much of a faff.

I've said before that I don't think little speakers do justice to the noise of a loco. One of my thoughts was whether a decoder could be outputted to a proper amplifier. Since I have a pair of Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders that will do anything justice. Or I could stick them under the baseboard and play a recording from YouTube.

I believe part of my problem concerning the actual video sound quality is the fact that I'm in an enclosed space where the roof and sides are lined with insulating foil. It's a bit like playing music inside a tin can! The addition of an external microphone hasn't made a great deal of difference.

As for background music I was actually thinking about running the trains without sound and adding a music track rather than loco sounds. I've been trying a few examples out and if you can find a complimentary track then it works pretty well and you often end up tapping your feet rather than covering your ears! You can even mix the music in with some of the more pleasing loco sounds.

As for your thoughts, I'm sure there'll be an easy way to hook sound up to an amplifier and speakers or at least play recordings via YouTube. There's got to be a way that's better than some of the poor quality sound installations we've had to endure to date.

I've not done anything for two days. It was a bit too wild outside to have the attic trapdoor open yesterday and tomorrow looks like it's going to be much the same with more strong winds forecast into Monday.

• 2 months later...

It's been a few weeks since there was anything running on Skew Bridge but after an enjoyable day in the garden yesterday I decided to have a short session up in the attic this afternoon.

If there's anything guaranteed to put a smile on your face then it's the sound of a class 37 so I doubled up on my 2 EWS ones, attached them to the steel coils and simply let them run while I captured some action on video. Unfortunately the acoustics in the attic don't do DCC sound justice due in part (I believe) to the foil insulation fastened to the roof which appears to deflect sound back down into and all around the confines of the attic space, particularly when heard back on video. 

37411 and 37419 head past Skew Bridge with the steel coils.

144430915_2022-05-0120-26-21(CS5)copy.thumb.jpg.4054cc9be6e5a598a9459233d2f6601e.jpg

675186248_2022-05-0120-29-12(CS5)copy.thumb.jpg.b13553c0657d2e2b82f2498e7e306bab.jpg

The rear loco (37419) is unpowered and operates as a dummy loco but has a sound decoder and speaker fitted so they are a great pair to double head as there's no problem keeping them running smoothly together.

I've been saying for some time now that I need to sort out which loco's I want for use on Worsley Dale and which I want to retain for Skew Bridge, well this afternoon I've finally made a start sorting them out. There are some loco's that could actually be used on either layout but what I'm looking for are the ones that definitely belong on the Worsley Dale roster such as Scotrail 47s and the large logo BR Blue class 47/4's. It's been so long since some of them were touched that I couldn't even remember which of them were fitted with sound.

In addition I've done some weathering to some of the ones that were still 'pristine' concentrating on the loco bodies and leaving the chassis until later when I get the airbrush out.

It was interesting to compare the different sounds from the 37's but the best of them in my opinion is 37248 Loch Arkaig which has Jamie Goodman class 37/0 sounds and a Rail Exclusive Chunky Boom Box speaker in the fuel tanks. I have the same sound decoder in another class 37 with a double iphone speaker under the fans and there's a marked difference in sound quality. I'd better get myself some more speakers.

What I want to do now is have one or two sound-fitted chassis that can accept any of the non-sound fitted loco bodies. As I'll never be able to use all the loco's at once it makes sense to swap them about and save money on further decoders. I also want a 'dummy' sound-fitted loco so that I can use it for double heading behind any other loco without the need for speed matching, similar to the EWS 37419 that I already have. I probably have a chassis somewhere that I can utilise.

Coal sector liveried 37692 'The Lass O'Ballochmyle' and 37698 'Coedbach' are two loco's that will spend most of their time on Skew Bridge but it would be nice to see them outdoors too on occasion. I've had this pair running round while I've been sorting out and it's a great soundtrack to work along with. They run very well together with only the occasional bumping and grinding. They're both fitted with Locoman class 37 sounds and have speakers in the fuel tanks.

140192379_20220506_214431copy.thumb.jpg.df329a35d1683bc5bd73ed3751c6f72d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

37692 and 37698 have been out running again this afternoon still with the PFA wagons in tow only this time, for a short while at least, they were joined by 37419.

copywithsky.thumb.jpg.358fdc7f2a54194b8c3451a04aa9b9ad.jpg

If you can manage it, having a sound-fitted 'dummy loco' is pretty handy as it can be added to any consist without any problems and there's no need to speed match. I plan on adding another one in the near future once I sort out the best donor to use.

The triple header can be seen running in a single clip at the end of the latest video upload.

Great work. There was recently a guy selling new Bachmann class 37 chassis's on ebay quite cheaply, probably worth keeping an eye out there if that is all you want. I have one I bought which is still in the packaging somewhere. I bought it for a Bachmann class 37 I bought on ebay for £15 which has quite a bit of cosmetic damage to the chassis ends. Another project that sits patiently waiting.... LOL

2 hours ago, Loco Hauled said:

...There was recently a guy selling new Bachmann class 37 chassis's on ebay quite cheaply, probably worth keeping an eye out there if that is all you want....

If there's one thing I'm not short of (other than Hornby A4's) it's Bachmann class 37s! However, some of them are a good few years old now and although they're all operational some of them run more smoothly than others so it's just a case of me determining which one(s) would make the best donor(s), taking into consideration the potential for swapping loco bodies around.

• Like 1