Marks mumblings, mutterings but mainly moaning

Baimor

Yesterday I finished what may be my last large building job!! :cry::cry: In the last 12 months I have found it increasingly more difficult to cope with scaffolding, ladders, etc due to the arthritis. I'm 45 in June, have a 3 year old house with no mortgage, a moderately good savings account and a pension I can cash in when I'm 50. Er indoors earns enough to give us a comfortable, ( not rich!!), lifestyle and she thinks, seeing the pain I'm in lately, that I should retire before I do any more damage to my back. I've never been out of work for longer than about 3 weeks and the thought of retiring quite frankly scares the hell out of me!!! Anyone else in the same situation? ? Is retirement as rubbish as I'm expecting?? I know life is what you make it but surely there's only so many holidays you can go on and so many trains to buy, etc.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baimor said:

... Is retirement as rubbish as I'm expecting?? I know life is what you make it but surely there's only so many holidays you can go on and so many trains to buy, etc.

It's totally rubbish. You want to keep on working for as long as you can. If possible do some extra hours, work weekends, start early on a morning and finish late at night. Who on earth in their right mind would want to retire? You'll soon get fed up of being at home and doing the things you enjoy most and I bet in no time at all you'll be out looking for another job. In fact give all your surplus money away to someone else and let them retire instead :) You'll get no end of fun out of watching them suffer :D

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Mick! ( I think!!! :lol::lol: ) I do understand where the mrs is coming from but I just can't imagine not working!! Had to laugh though, when I showed her this post, she said just think how much time you'd have with the railway if you weren't working! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Any spare money is on its way to you now Nige! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

On a more serious note!..............Yes I know! :lol: but really mate If I got the chance to retire I'd be gone like a shot, unfortunately, for me, it's not going to happen, I have got another 8+ yrs to go, not that I'm counting :D Over the last few years I have seen far too many of my mates and work colleagues retire permanently. Which makes me wish to spend a good bit of time at home with my family doing what I want to while I still can, without work getting in the way. Sounds a bit morbid I know, it's not meant to but you know what I'm trying to say. :) If you've got the chance grab it with both hands (Arthritis permitting! :lol: ) Also it will have the added advantage for you in so much as it will lesson the chances of accidental high speed descents from tall LADDERS :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: haha! I knew what you'd say about ladders Nige thats why I included it in the post! :lol::lol: I know what you're saying though. I missed a lot of our eldest growing up when I was a heating engineer due to being away from home a lot. It's time I can never replace so I do enjoy the time I have with the little 'un! :D:D ( and trains!!) :lol::lol::lol: I can now look back over the past 12 months or so and have to admit the job is gradually becoming too much! I'm thinking of doing my pilots licence. That way I could teach you how to use a plane!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: yes Q I'm sure there's a growing list of jobs she has in mind!! Time will tell!! :lol::lol: Upon reading this post again she says it could be construed as being boastful. This is in no means meant to be boastful at all and to anyone misreading this I can only apologise. It's just that, reading between the lines, quite a few of the forum members would appear to be retired and I just wanted to know from experience if it's as bad as I'm expecting. :shock: my daily driver is a 13 year old vectra 1.8 and I've just got excited about a 23 year old car I've bought. All my track, engines, rolling stock, etc for this railway have been bought used. I've never owned a brand new car and have worked 7 twelve hour shifts to pay the bills so I don't really think I'm in a position to "boast"!

You aren't boasting. I did the same, worked all the hours that God sent and got the mortgage paid off early. No fancy restaurants or holidays. Old nails of cars. No credit either as the card if used got paid in full every month.

Biggest thing that I missed on retirement was the routine and the chatter. 18 months spent on a new garage, pouring tons of concrete, sorting the garden, skimming and decorating bedrooms and stairs etc, then I went sick. Couple of months in hospital defying the reaper and haven't been right since. Like a half shut knife all the time now and pottering on a stick. Because I can't do some jobs that I want to do, and can't concentrate on others, I have long periods of getting peed off with myself. Never mind though, I would rather be a bit fed up than dead. All I can say is take care of your health. Go to the Doctor before things get too far gone etc. Just enjoy yourself and use the time to do what you didn't have time to do before.

No Mark, it's still not arrived yet, :( still suffering really, really hard though...........just in case :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, I've been tidying up a bit in my workshop and pondering on what you said about a pilots license.....................I think it would be a good idea :) ...........you know broaden your horizons.............see the world from a different perspective..................bit like "live" Google Earth! :lol: .............and God forbid, should the worst happen,................................it would be just like falling from a LONGER LADDER!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes I know what you mean Roddy mate. It's the doctors advice I'm taking before I end up with " severely restricted movement"!! Yes, I've missed out a lot on our eldest growing up. Yes, I've done weeks away from home to pay the bills. We lost absolutely everything in the 2007 floods. We've gone without holidays at times. But, on the plus side, ive still got my Mrs and kids and some people aren't that fortunate. Like you, quite rightly, say, I'm alive. I've got hobbys. It's not all been doom and gloom though! In fairness we've had our share of good luck too. We did really well out of the sale of our last house and er indoors had a very good win on the irish lottery which allowed us to buy this new build. Sure, we've had to go without a garage as that would have added 12000 to the price and we just couldn't stretch to that without borrowing which we were keen to avoid and I reasoned I could build a better one for less cash should I want to. I know what you mean about missing the banter. I've worked with some real characters :lol::lol::lol: I've no credit, no loans, etc. I've missed nights out with the lads at times when I was younger as I was paying into 2 pensions and an endowment ( remember them???) :lol::lol: I'm just hoping I can now enjoy life a bit. Er indoors says I've spent so much time making other people's lives comfortable building extensions, conservatories, fitting boilers, etc, etc ( which in fairness I've been payed well for at times ) that I should now put myself first for a change. :lol::lol::lol:

This looks like reading some of my life, we got in a deep hole in a previous recession when the house we had bought went down from 60,000 to 28,000 (the Identical house five doors down sold for the 28) and the mortgage rate went from 9% to 15%. So I ended up spending 6 years of my life out in Saudi or we'd have gone bust. But when it all got paid off it was very nice when the Endowment finally paid up 2 years ago. Sadly not enough to retire, 8 Years to go....

Desperately trying to finish off all the heavy work around the house and garden before all the old injuries come back to haunt me....

Hey guys. Good to see everyone having such a good time at everyone's expense but mine. ;) … for once. :D

Whats all this about ladders? did someone finally kill themselves building a garden railway?

I must say that being partially retired is kind of nice. Still got plenty to do, but not so much I can't get it all done.

I think I've been away a good bit of time, as I just noticed engine drivers got a D&RGW icon on his account. Denver is just over run with that loco, we have some real ones at a museum.