'Copy & Paste' posts onto other forums Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ba14eagle

Summer Hampton Railway

A couple of new locos have joined the Summer Hampton Railway fleet.

Both are fitted with Legomanbiffo sound chips, the first time I have used these. I must say, Im impressed with the product and the fact it can be fitted with a speaker that actually fits in a loco, complete with the sound box, is a big positive!

• Like 1

Before getting back to the "big trainset" tomorrow, Summer Hampton has been hosting an English Electric day

I hope you are all making use of this good weather. Ive had a few issues with buckled and broken track - the first time ever. These will be replaced shortly, but I am still tempted to move upto the "senior" scale 🤓

I encountered problems when I eventually got mine up and running too Iain but I just accept it as part of the whole OO outdoor experience. I know it can become frustrating but the real railways have problems with buckled and broken rails too. Each obstacle we overcome is one less to be concerned about and if I'm honest, in my case they're all down to the way I've constructed everything. My elevated boards appear fine at the moment but certain sections close to the ground are in need of attention. I'm going to replace the plywood and use a masonry track bed when the time comes - probably using aerated block sections as they withstand the weather very well.

I have a number of O gauge loco's but I'm content with the smaller stuff for now. Perhaps if I were starting over again from scratch, a move of house or something, then I'd have a good think about changing to the larger scale.

Enjoyed watching the 'EE day' video and a lot of people would be surprised to discover how successful OO can be outdoors. You've made a great job of it.

• Like 1

Cheers Mick

Today I have been outside replacing the broken track and fettling up a problematic section of line. It suddenly all looks a lot better, for just a couple of hours work.

TBH O gauge wouldn't work in this garden, unless I remove all the boards and posts and replaced it with something more solid, nearer ground level. Even then, it could only be a 15ft square and this would seem a bit of a waste of time, just to change scales.

A house move has been thought about recently, as we need more room and extending this property isn't feasible. If this were to happen, Id be building yet another garden railway and would definitely think seriously about scaling up!  

A house move would be the time to consider changing.

Just a few years back a move to O gauge would have been very expensive, prohibitively so in many cases, but these days some recent O gauge models compare very favourably pricewise with their smaller cousins. You're still going to need the additional space required by the larger scale but if you can accept shorter trains, perhaps the smaller loco classes, then why not? There's also the added bonus of an apparent improvement in your vision!

Well, depending on what result you wanted, todays surveying in the garden went well.

It was good in as much it proved that an O gauge circuit wouldnt fit in the garden, before Id invested a lot of money in track, but not so well because I wanted it to fit 🙁

So, all plans for an expansion into O gauge have been shelved and my Heljan "Western" will have to be restricted to occasional use on my local clubs test track - at least until a change of address happens!

That's the trouble with O gauge these days, they make them more affordable but they still can't make them fit into tight spaces.

Wouldn't you be interested in a short end to end type layout? I was going to suggest a shunting type layout but I doubt a Western would be used much in that way but a depot or stabling yard perhaps? There are some excellent limited space OO layouts that would scale up well to the larger scale but I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for. I'd be content to fit a decent soundchip and drive it up and down the shed yard all day long!

I know how tempting O gauge is but OO still has a lot going for it.

On 26/07/2018 at 20:02, mick said:

I encountered problems when I eventually got mine up and running too Iain but I just accept it as part of the whole OO outdoor experience. I know it can become frustrating but the real railways have problems with buckled and broken rails too. Each obstacle we overcome is one less to be concerned about and if I'm honest, in my case they're all down to the way I've constructed everything. My elevated boards appear fine at the moment but certain sections close to the ground are in need of attention. I'm going to replace the plywood and use a masonry track bed when the time comes - probably using aerated block sections as they withstand the weather very well.

Yes, outside, building a layout will lead to problems and work closer to those of the real railroad.
Inside you do not have to move earth, you do not need foundations or have to deal with weather or living things on the track or plants in the catenary.
Also, the smooth bottom floor as a reference point "level 0" is missing outdoors of course.
Also you can catch a cold at work or get a sunburn, in the hobby cellar that happens rather seldom ...

So after all the problems with wood, I've gotten away from using wood.
High pressure laminates are an excellent substitute for plywood and its heavy weight is not so important in the garden.
Otherwise, I am now a fan of rigid foam panels for wet rooms. These are the ones with which you for example the substructure for bathtubs or walls created in the bathroom. And of course styrofoam like Styrodur. Everything can be cut and glued very well.

I seriously consider if I do not even make the construction of my layout with these indoor.

At aerated concrete blocks, I've already thought, but by their higher weight, the foundation is more complex then I think.

Regards Thomas