Summer Hampton Railway

ba14eagle

Another enjoyable video Iain along with some impressive new stock. Have there been any new additions on the OO gauge side or are you leaning a little more towards the larger scale?

I've been so disappointed with some of my recent purchases that I'm reluctant to keep on splashing out on products that fail to meet expectations. I used to be more of a 'collector' than a modeller but now I can't see any justification in continually hoarding models and I actually find myself saying "I don't need it" whereas before I just had to have it whatever the region or era it represented. Maybe that's got something to do with having a layout that's now more or less operational making it easier to decide whether something fits in. I now find myself with a number of previous purchases that don't fit in with either of my layouts so I need to make an effort to dispose of them.

I can't see me adding an O gauge line outdoors, though never say never I should say, but I'm hanging on to my O gauge models for now as I would like to be able to do something with them at some point even if it's only a small stabling point or depot scene. Maybe in the years to come when my eyesight deteriorates even more I'll be glad I kept hold of them!

Your layout combines the two scales extremely well and you hardly notice the other gauge alongside when either is running.

• 2 months later...

I braved the sub zero temperatures outside today and gave my O gauge locos a run out - don't panic! Next time, it will be the OO locos (but there are a lot more of them!) Ive done a bit of work on some of my stock and wanted to see it in action. Ive got a little bit more work to do to my 117 dmu, so, that will have to wait a week or 2. With lots of my pre-orders either just landed or about to, there is likely to be more than just locos getting a run out.

• Like 2

Brilliant Iain, very enjoyable and extremely realistic though much warmer sitting here in front of the monitor I would think. There should be a special 'award' for members going that extra mile but sadly you'll have to make do with a 'like' on your previous post! All the same, I think I'll leave it a while longer before I venture outside - I haven't even braved the attic for a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally finished my Class 117 dmu, fitting passengers, driver and fiddly pipework.

20210215_120403.thumb.jpg.15244c5d60f1cb08f7f241eccea87a7b.jpg

And, having ordered and paid for in May 2018, my IZA twin Cargowaggon has arrived from KMRC. Some very restrained weathering has been carried out. Just noticed the wonky buffer 🙁

20210222_150316.thumb.jpg.cc117a8e9ba007195ffc79d19f9f841d.jpg

Edited by ba14eagle
missing text

The driver figure and bufferbeam detailing makes a huge difference to the front view of the DMU and I'm sure the added passengers do likewise with the sideways viewpoint. In comparison the actual cost of these improvements is a mere fraction of what the model itself costs and yet as you've remarked already, it's just such a fiddly process and quite often the interiors are so difficult to access without, particularly in my case, causing some degree of damage.

The Cargowaggon twin looks very nice - you've done extremely well to restrain yourself with that one!

Sun is out - lets play 🚆 Ive got to admit, running the OO today felt a bit of a chore at times - I hope that passes 🙁

I don't know if it's that I've got so much stock it's a faff getting it all out and then putting it away again or the slightly less forgiving nature of the smaller scale for needing clean and well tidied track. Or, it might just be that I'm tired and not feeling very good after having my first CV19 jab. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ba14eagle said:

...Ive got to admit, running the OO today felt a bit of a chore at times - I hope that passes 🙁

I don't know if it's that I've got so much stock it's a faff getting it all out and then putting it away again or the slightly less forgiving nature of the smaller scale for needing clean and well tidied track....

It gets us all like that at some point Iain. I doubt there's one of us who hasn't questioned what the heck we're doing at least once, especially when things don't seem to be going as we'd hoped. 

I noticed a couple of occasions on your video where it seems there's a bit of stuttering but wasn't sure if that was actual operations or a sound blip on the video itself. Other than firstly cleaning my track with the Garryflex abrasive rubber, I find the single most important task is running the CMX cleaner around with IPA solution inside. It really does make a difference both outdoors and up in the attic. Do you have something like that? There are probably other track cleaners that work in a similar fashion.

The IPA doesn't just wipe clean the track it also helps with electrical continuity. A couple of days ago I was running one of the sound-fitted 37s which began stuttering, the sound cutting in and out. Straight away I sent the CMX round and one circuit is enough to cure the intermittent sound. I find it's not just an accumulation of dirt but also sometimes moisture on the rail tops, especially once the temperature starts dropping, and the CMX is good for that too. It's one of my better purchases!

To us viewers, other than those couple of stutters, it's a really enjoyable video with some great viewpoints, though perhaps I need to return that axle box grease! Anyone any idea what is the best cure for squeaky axles? Anything reliable in the long-term?

20 hours ago, mick said:

To us viewers, other than those couple of stutters, it's a really enjoyable video with some great viewpoints, though perhaps I need to return that axle box grease! Anyone any idea what is the best cure for squeaky axles? Anything reliable in the long-term?

If you notice, the squeaky axles disappear half way through, thanks to a liberal application of gear lube - not the best oil for the job, but its nice and thick and seemed to work wonders. Odd isn't it? that it only seems to be Bachmann axleboxes that need constant lubrication.

• 2 weeks later...

How did the session go Iain - have you managed to get things sorted out? The video looks smooth and trouble free.

The loco's sound very nice, though personally I generally find Legomanbiffo's just a tad too quiet when compared to some others. However, your video really brings the sounds across even from a distance.

Mick

There was less moisture in the air whilst I was running, as it was earlier in the day. Each of the locos had a spin on the wheel cleaner before starting and that helped no end. I'm not always very good at that part of the maintenance regime!

Well hello 31's!

Nice weathering on both loco's Iain. I never worked with 31's but I do remember them as always being oily and dirty and your pair brings that across well.

I was going to ask you about your track ballast and how it coped during the winter. Has it survived okay? Would you recommend using SBR?

13 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

The ballast has stood up well Mick. I would thoroughly recommend SBR for fixing ballast.

That's good to hear Iain. I might just give that a try this year if I can find the time and a decent spell of weather to get round to ballasting.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently been off work for a few weeks due to illness (I am fit again now after a short hospital stay last week) and had a couple of former work colleagues visit the garden this morning. This called for a couple of trains to be run, including a fairly recent OO steam loco purchase. 5274 is the standard Hornby model, now fitted with a basic, non sound decoder. I'm pleased to say, both the O and OO gauges ran perfectly with no derailments or problems during a 2 hour running session. This is a short video, taken after my guests had gone. I have taken a leaf out of DorkingIan's book and just put some music to the footage, rather than the ambient sounds.

• Like 2

Sorry to learn about your illness Iain but certainly glad to hear you're back up and about again. I hope you're fully recovered or at least well on the way to that.

I enjoyed the video and as I mentioned after watching @Andrew's video with the added soundtrack, I quite like them that way. I will have to look out for some appropriate music for accompaniment and have a go myself one day.  You've made a good job of yours.

The trouble with being off work and not having too much to do, is that retail therapy becomes too easy. I have recently aquired some Skytrex china clay hoods and a variety of LMS liveried freight stock - all in O gauge. The clay hoods were purchased from a facebook group ad, whilst the LMS stock was part of a bigger lot that Ellis Clark trains were selling. There were 3 more wagons in this lot, but I am going to move these on, as they werent required. Thius was an interesting lot, having been built from kits and possibly even some scratchbuilding - either way, they have all been well finished. The china clay hoods need number and data panels adding and I am going to add to the factory weathering. I know they arent the most accurate of models, but look like what I remember of china clay hoods.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

omg. I have been very busy filming out in the garden over the last couple of months. I have been trying to run every piece of rolling stock I own - perhaps I need to justify having it all!

And I have more tee'd up, waiting to publish!