Summer Hampton Railway

ba14eagle

12 minutes ago, mick said:

Seems like you should be okay with building materials....but not if you decide to take up jogging and require sports clothing despite all Mike Ashley's heroic efforts.

Please excuse me, but what a pillock that man is. He protests just enough to keep his rubbish in the news for the free advertising.

13 hours ago, mick said:

The past couple of days have been pretty decent for working outdoors, albeit a little on the cold side, so it's great to hear you've made further progress.

After the PMs announcement this evening I'm unsure as to whether even the builder's merchants are able to open so perhaps April is being a bit optimistic unless they can do online orders/deliveries. It's all a bit confusing at the moment but no doubt we'll soon get accustomed to it and who knows, we might even discover it's a far better way of living our lives.

It will be a better way of living, once all of the fools and self entitled have been taken by the virus. Us good folk can live in peace then.

• Like 1

I have managed a couple more hours work this morning (whilst not enjoying the whiff from the neighbours exotic type of tobacco) and got half of the rubbercrete laid on the concrete I cast on Monday, before running out of cork granules.

I have ordered more cork granules and have placed an order for delivery of more building material, from Wickes. Delivery is scheduled for 2 weeks time - hopefully, this still may get through. With a drop in air temperature forecast for the weekend, I will be looking to dig out more soil, ready for shuttering up the last section to cast.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see you've completed the hard work Iain and can now concentrate on the business end. It would be great to think that we're in for a nice long summer with plenty of opportunity to get out there and enjoy it.

On 14/04/2020 at 16:12, ba14eagle said:

Trackbed construction now finished. Ive some landscaping to finish before i will start tracklaying.

Sorry about the picture quality - straight off my phone!

20200414_150046.jpg

Wow, THAT is a great trackbed!

And certainly a good starting point for the much time at home that will probably still be ahead of us all.

Thanks Thomas

My only concern is that I only have about 40 new fishplates - a good reason to recycle some of the OO track I lifted last year - some  of which was lifted in long sections of 2 yards. Thankfully, the O gauge track is pretty much complete with fishplates.

37 minutes ago, ba14eagle said:

Thanks Thomas

My only concern is that I only have about 40 new fishplates - a good reason to recycle some of the OO track I lifted last year - some  of which was lifted in long sections of 2 yards. Thankfully, the O gauge track is pretty much complete with fishplates.

Recycling things is always a good idea.
With us in Germany you can continue to shop online and have it delivered / sent.
No longer in the UK?

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 21:36, ThomasI said:

Recycling things is always a good idea.
With us in Germany you can continue to shop online and have it delivered / sent.
No longer in the UK?

We can still order items online, but there are a shortage of available Peco track items, due to the high demand whilst people are in lockdown. I am glad I had the foresight to buy what I did, before Christmas.

11 hours ago, jimbob said:

I have a load of code 75 fish plate l ordered by mistake if there any use to you.

Many thanks for the offer - if I get stuck, I will get in contact. 

On 24/03/2020 at 11:50, roddy said:

It will be a better way of living, once all of the fools and self entitled have been taken by the virus. Us good folk can live in peace then.

Unfortunately, the virus will not do us this favor.

All OO track laid and working well during its first test runs, late this afternoon. Lots of soldering to do now, but I will hope to get a few days play first. The garden has also been greatly tidied up, with lots of my railwayana finding itself a home again - its somewhere you want to spend some time (- until peace is spoiled by the neighbours 🤬) If only I could get to the garden centre and buy some plants.

All has not been great with the O gauge though. A very small issue, and one that should be overcome easily. Combined with the very tight curves and the lower output from the Powercab, the Western struggles around the circuit at present - the previous test runs, I did last week, were done with the Hornby Elite, which has a 4 amp output versus only 2 amp from the Powercab. Ive made a few tweaks to the Westerns chassis and I will see if this helps. If there is still a problem, I have a booster package to run the Powercab through, which will give a 5 amp output- wiring it in might be a challenge in itself!

Hopefully, if the weather is good tomorrow and the neighbours keep the noise down, I might get a bit of video footage to share with you. 

And about time too!

Pleased to hear you've sorted the power issue you were experiencing though tighter curves are something you'll just have to live with on the O gauge front. You've already built up a nice collection of wagons behind the Western and I do like to see mineral wagons whatever the scale.

Hopefully the OO side of things will cause fewer problems - fingers crossed for you.

And so, onto the OO.

All worked fine, except for a couple of old Hornby PGA wagons, which seem to have developed problems with axleboxes and wheelsets. Anyway, here is a short video of what I ran yesterday. Over the next few days / weeks, I will be trying to give the rest of my stock a good run out.

• Like 3