Summer Hampton Railway

ba14eagle

A couple of new locos have joined the Summer Hampton Railway fleet.

Both are fitted with Legomanbiffo sound chips, the first time I have used these. I must say, Im impressed with the product and the fact it can be fitted with a speaker that actually fits in a loco, complete with the sound box, is a big positive!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Before getting back to the "big trainset" tomorrow, Summer Hampton has been hosting an English Electric day

I hope you are all making use of this good weather. Ive had a few issues with buckled and broken track - the first time ever. These will be replaced shortly, but I am still tempted to move upto the "senior" scale 🤓

I encountered problems when I eventually got mine up and running too Iain but I just accept it as part of the whole OO outdoor experience. I know it can become frustrating but the real railways have problems with buckled and broken rails too. Each obstacle we overcome is one less to be concerned about and if I'm honest, in my case they're all down to the way I've constructed everything. My elevated boards appear fine at the moment but certain sections close to the ground are in need of attention. I'm going to replace the plywood and use a masonry track bed when the time comes - probably using aerated block sections as they withstand the weather very well.

I have a number of O gauge loco's but I'm content with the smaller stuff for now. Perhaps if I were starting over again from scratch, a move of house or something, then I'd have a good think about changing to the larger scale.

Enjoyed watching the 'EE day' video and a lot of people would be surprised to discover how successful OO can be outdoors. You've made a great job of it.

• Like 1

Cheers Mick

Today I have been outside replacing the broken track and fettling up a problematic section of line. It suddenly all looks a lot better, for just a couple of hours work.

TBH O gauge wouldn't work in this garden, unless I remove all the boards and posts and replaced it with something more solid, nearer ground level. Even then, it could only be a 15ft square and this would seem a bit of a waste of time, just to change scales.

A house move has been thought about recently, as we need more room and extending this property isn't feasible. If this were to happen, Id be building yet another garden railway and would definitely think seriously about scaling up!  

A house move would be the time to consider changing.

Just a few years back a move to O gauge would have been very expensive, prohibitively so in many cases, but these days some recent O gauge models compare very favourably pricewise with their smaller cousins. You're still going to need the additional space required by the larger scale but if you can accept shorter trains, perhaps the smaller loco classes, then why not? There's also the added bonus of an apparent improvement in your vision!

• 1 month later...

Well, depending on what result you wanted, todays surveying in the garden went well.

It was good in as much it proved that an O gauge circuit wouldnt fit in the garden, before Id invested a lot of money in track, but not so well because I wanted it to fit 🙁

So, all plans for an expansion into O gauge have been shelved and my Heljan "Western" will have to be restricted to occasional use on my local clubs test track - at least until a change of address happens!

That's the trouble with O gauge these days, they make them more affordable but they still can't make them fit into tight spaces.

Wouldn't you be interested in a short end to end type layout? I was going to suggest a shunting type layout but I doubt a Western would be used much in that way but a depot or stabling yard perhaps? There are some excellent limited space OO layouts that would scale up well to the larger scale but I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for. I'd be content to fit a decent soundchip and drive it up and down the shed yard all day long!

I know how tempting O gauge is but OO still has a lot going for it.

On 26/07/2018 at 20:02, mick said:

I encountered problems when I eventually got mine up and running too Iain but I just accept it as part of the whole OO outdoor experience. I know it can become frustrating but the real railways have problems with buckled and broken rails too. Each obstacle we overcome is one less to be concerned about and if I'm honest, in my case they're all down to the way I've constructed everything. My elevated boards appear fine at the moment but certain sections close to the ground are in need of attention. I'm going to replace the plywood and use a masonry track bed when the time comes - probably using aerated block sections as they withstand the weather very well.

Yes, outside, building a layout will lead to problems and work closer to those of the real railroad.
Inside you do not have to move earth, you do not need foundations or have to deal with weather or living things on the track or plants in the catenary.
Also, the smooth bottom floor as a reference point "level 0" is missing outdoors of course.
Also you can catch a cold at work or get a sunburn, in the hobby cellar that happens rather seldom ...

So after all the problems with wood, I've gotten away from using wood.
High pressure laminates are an excellent substitute for plywood and its heavy weight is not so important in the garden.
Otherwise, I am now a fan of rigid foam panels for wet rooms. These are the ones with which you for example the substructure for bathtubs or walls created in the bathroom. And of course styrofoam like Styrodur. Everything can be cut and glued very well.

I seriously consider if I do not even make the construction of my layout with these indoor.

At aerated concrete blocks, I've already thought, but by their higher weight, the foundation is more complex then I think.

Regards Thomas

• 7 months later...

Well, despite my post from 26 September 2018, I have gone back outside and been altering the railway and have managed to incorporate an O gauge circuit!

Its not quite finished yet - yesterdays delivery of track to site was too late for the job to be completed. Hopefully, by this time next week, I should be finished and will be able to run a train.

Don't worry - there is still some OO. I have reduced the OO down to just a double track, with a loop on each line. The loops are now around the pond, meaning I can reach the pointwork, from the decking. The other pointwork has been removed (to try and improve running) and the station has gone. Too be honest, running 4 trains at once wasn't really feasible, as there were too many derailments.

4 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

Well, despite my post from 26 September 2018, I have gone back outside and been altering the railway and have managed to incorporate an O gauge circuit!   

You don't belong here 😳

4 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

Don't worry - there is still some OO.    

Oh, carry on! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a frustrating lack of progress on the railway in the last couple of weeks. 

I completed the O gauge circuit, but have had to relay various parts as, even in O gauge, rises / falls and tight curves have caused problems with smooth running. I think im there now. Interspersed with this, I found my ancient H&M Clipper wasnt upto powering my twin motored Heljan Western (not surprising really, as it only pumps out 1.5amp!). I then purchased a Gaugemaster O gauge specific controller off Ebay - even an output of 2.5amp isnt enough to power the Western or its a dud. It worked ok for 5 minutes, but then started cutting out after only powering the loco about 2ft at a time 🙄. Surprisingly, it appears that my Hornby Elite might be capable of pushing out 4amp, so I might try the Western on address 0.

Oh yes - and we are on the verge of moving house again, so I might be ripping it all up anyway!! Roll on garden railway no.3 and some space to enjoy bigger radius curves 🤸‍♂️

I logged on this morning remembering your post from a couple of weeks ago where you mentioned adding a O gauge circuit and was excited to see you'd recently made a further post. I was full of anticipation, expecting to see photos or even videos of that stunning Western circling the garden so I'm saddened to hear of the problems you've experienced but what's this? There's the possibility of you starting all over again in a new garden? You really are a glutton for punishment!

Seriously though I'm sure the prospect of a house move must be exciting for you, providing of course that the garden is suitable for your needs. That is, of course, if you intend to continue your quest for a garden railway and that the new residence doesn't have a suitable indoor space that you could use.

I've never run any of my O gauge loco's so can't really comment on their requirements regarding power supplies - in fact it's something I haven't even thought of. Perhaps I should try them as I have a couple of old Gaugemaster controllers that I no longer use, though I'm not sure what output they are.

Interested to hear what your thoughts are regarding a new layout if that does indeed become a reality. Would you continue with OO, switch to O, or accommodate a combination of both? I guess it would all depend on the size and layout of the new garden? 

I was also interested to read that you had simplified the OO gauge section of your existing layout after the addition of the O gauge line. I've always believed that the simpler the the outdoor layout the better but have every admiration for those who decide to incorporate much more. I would never discourage anyone from building something complex if that's what they wanted but I know what an enormous task the upkeep can be. That's one of the reasons I opted for a predominantly single line with a minimum of pointwork outside. 

The house move is a real possibility and this year too. I might just about get a play with the O gauge, but the OO has probably seen its last train. 

We are desperate for more space and at least 3 bedrooms and a workroom / shop for my Wife to work out of. A bigger garden is a must of course - not too many boxes to tick then!! I intend having enough space available to have a single O gauge track, with a couple of loops and a double track OO layout, again with a couple of loops. I am pondering whether to thin out my OO collection a little bit, despite still having got new items on pre-order! 

I learned today that the owners of my old house had started to try and dismantle the raised bed that Hampton Field was located in - apparently, they weren't expecting to find massive reinforced concrete beams within! Last seen calling the Royal Engineers :lol: in to help.    

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the future of Summer Hampton.

The house went on the market last week and so I have decided, to ease the pressure when a buyer is found, I'm going to start dismantling the railway - that's despite never having run an O gauge train on the line id completed! (The Hornby Elite doesn't do the address 0 thing any more.) The track and boards / timbers / posts can be stored in my rented garage, for possible further use. As an aside, whilst decluttering the house, I found an O gauge point I forgot I even had!

I will take a last photo when the garden has been cleared.

Beyond that, I will be taking a break from modelling for a while, as ive already put a lot of paint, tools and materials into store - if I get an itch to run something, I can always have a little shunt around Baker wood Bunker.

I'm now just itching to move and start again!! 

Edited by ba14eagle

• 1 month later...

So, without wishing to tempt fate, this should be a last post from Summer Hampton. The railway has gone and im in the process of returning the garden to an acceptable state for a normal person. Roll on next year when i hope to bring you all progress on my 3rd adventure into garden railways - hopefully, it will be even better!

20190819_164230.jpg

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

...Roll on next year when i hope to bring you all progress on my 3rd adventure into garden railways - hopefully, it will be even better!

I'm sure it will be! With the experiences you've had and the mistakes you've seen the rest of us make then I'm certain No.3 will be the best yet and while it's something I'm sure you're looking forward to I'm just glad it's someone else and not me that's having to start over again ;) I've just about had enough with building.

Wishing you all the best for the future and looking forward to sharing your adventures in due course.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its barely 4 weeks since my last post and the World has turned on its head. Without going into any detail, house moving has been cancelled and will not be happening in the foreseable future.

As far as Summer Hampton is concerned, unfortunately, simply putting posts and boards back, isnt an option. I have tentatively started the process of building an all new railway. This will be done in the fashion of Hampton Field, using a solid concrete trackbed. It will be slightly lower down and blended into the garden a little more. It wont be as complex as previous and will probably only amount to a single line of O and a single line of OO, with a loop or two on each circuit. I want to be able to create something that doesnt need so much interaction - allowing me to relax and enjoy a little more.

Below are a couple of photos, showing the tight corner by the where the footbridge is located. Here I am moving the log roll a little, so as to get the required width of trackbed in. (Being lower down, the trackbed wont be able to overhang the log roll like the boards did). I am digging out the soil, so I can put the shuttering in for the concrete.

20190903_180526.thumb.jpg.b6e0100de963deffa2f265a2bbd7a320.jpg

20190903_180545.thumb.jpg.85f00a189d24119fe7eff13a48434de8.jpg