Thinking aloud (or Did l really say that?)

jimbob

Mark, I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure really how to answer you :( I don't think it's all down to modelling skills though! Some times it's the track layout that's at fault, for example curves that are far too tight to be real, causing both engines and stock to look ridiculous as they pass over them (you know those sort of set track curves they put in "Train Sets") another time it could just be the stock it's self, some of the older Hornby and Lima stuff while ok in it's day is looking a bit dated and toy like today, sometimes very plasticy and with those old tension lock couplings there's about 20 scale foot between vehicles! Taken together it can all add up to the "Train Set" look! This all said though it doesn't mean you have to go out and spend a fortune on new stock and stuff, first of all take a good look at the track layout see if there is any obvious faults there, and if so what can be done, either by re-alignment or failing that could the offending stretch be disguised in some way? ie: a tunnel or cutting etc. If there is no fault with the track then have a look at your stock, vehicles can be re-sprayed or just sprayed with matt varnish to take away the plastic shine, perhaps a bit of weathering would do the trick? then couplings can be changed to bring the vehicles closer together. It sounds a lot Mark but really it's pretty basic stuff. Just try putting two or three coaches closer together, over ride the couplings so that the buffers are nearly touching and you will see the difference.

Failing that.......................Model Aircraft Matey..............Aerial Photography...........you'd be good at that! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mark, I can fully appreciate where you are coming from.

My new railway has the very distinct feel of a layout outdoors, rather than a garden railway :? which I am not entirely happy with, but will have to live with. If I can add some scenic features like buildings and pan scourer foliage, like IanR, then that will improve it further.

I can only think this is because I am effectively using baseboards, with sharp curves, in order to get a decent length run, around a very small garden.

Ive done that because I have a growing collection of stock, that I want to see running in near prototypical train lengths and not be as limited to what I have out on the layout at any one time (like i felt i was on the HFR). For me, Micks Worsley Dale and Fungus' line are great garden railways, but wouldnt suit my needs, as I want to see more trains running than Mick is going to be able to handle. Also, Mick has the undercover storage of the shed which I think helps. I am going to be slightly happier, but only a bit, sitting and watching 4 trains buzzing around, without too much interference from me (hopefully ;) )

If the railway had been built in the same sort of way that the HFR was, then it would have been a very short run indeed, but possibly visually better. :idea: Perhaps we have found the first bit of compromise weve had to entertain since moving outdoors?

With the recent O gauge releases, I seriously thought about switching gauges when I made this house move and going back to a single line branch, with just a passing loop / sidings, but a) I couldnt really bring myself to selling all my OO, some of which has had a lot of time and money spent on it, b) a single line wouldnt have satisfied my requirements as mentioned above (if it was the only layout I had#) and, not completely relevant to this discussion, c) friends who also do OO wouldnt be able to come and play....

# I would still like to do some sort of layout based around a military railway system, which would be lots of winding, single track line with spurs and sidings into sheds and bunkers, but that might need a lot more space ;)

The railway or should l say bits of railway have been spreading a bit, as they do, so today was tidy up day. So train shed emptied out, found all those things l'd lost, and of corse it wouldn't all go back in so a trip to the storage unit was called for. It was then l realised l may have gone oved the top a bit recently.

Over the winter l had one of those fantastic stupid ldeas. What about building one of those big layouts from a Hornby track plan book. Nothing permenant something just for fun. So l set about e baying with avengence. Went for the big collections as it worked out cheaper, not worried if it was steel track either. Ooh look that peco stuff going cheap ..... Any way the grand plan went the way of all such things and there l was looking at a moutain and l mean mountian of Hornby ,Peco, Lima , Bachman track. Now the Peco stuff is no problem, can use that, then l started counting. When l reached 85 meteres of Peco flexi l thought ok l can use that when l extend down the other side of the garden, then lstarted to look at all the bits that have been used and are less than a metre.Oh dear, it was a lot and l mean a lot. Ok still no need to panic, then l started on the rest. Well l can honestly say l think l have cornered the market in Hornby R605 curved track (steel &N/silver). I then checked my E bay account, you really dont want to know what l spent, ln fact l didn't know l had that much in my pay pal account.

So tonight l start the reverse procedure and start putting stuff back on e bay. The Peco can stay but but if any one needs some sytem 6 track l can cut you a good deal!

So just to make me feel better has anyone else gone mad on a auction site or a real one for that matter or built up a collection of stuff they will never ever use. Please say yes.

Not me with a hair trigger finger, but my wife!!!!!!!!!!! How can any woman amass so many vintage hats and frocks? A couple of years ago I rebuilt fitted wardrobes in our bedroom giving two runs x 12ft @ 8ft high. I have a bare 5ft for everything, She has the rest jammed solid plus the wardrobe in the spare room!

l am out tomorrow and just remembered the the memory card on my camara is full, and yes l have mislaid the cable to down load it! So as l was passing l popped into PC world to see if they had one. After much looking l managed to attract a baby assistant who took one look at my memory card and announced that "those became obsoleat years ago Sir, you'll only get them 2nd hand now. Perhaps you would like to see a new camera". Bit miffed at being treated like a dinosaur l asked where they kept the gramaphone needles. "The phones are on the other side of the shop Sir". I smiled and left. Second time baby assistants treated me like an idiot there last time l went in for a new basic mobile phone. "What does Sir want it for", to talk to people l replied. Older lady came to his rescue with a box in hand £10 with free £5 phone card, Sir. Great sold.

Any checked e bay and 100' s of new cards avaliable, bout a couple. Dont know what to do abour Sunday, shall have to pop down the chemist for a roll of film for my old camera instead.

jimbob said:

Dont start me on Halfords, ok if you want a sat nat or a tent, bloody useless if you need a car part!

OMG l'm turning into Victor Meldrew.

I just dont believe it, There are plenty of us a long time down that route.

Firstly another Victor Meldrew moment. Having a new front and back door fitted by Anglia windows (name and shame) booked for next Friday, phone call Saturday, can we do it Monday they say, no probs say l, call this morning sorry fitters have not turned up (supprise) will have to rebook, that ok next Friday as arranged say l, oh no there doing another job then! Speaking to manager Monday.

Great day out Sunday with my other transport love of buses. Road trip to Winchester, would have gone by train but senior citizens railcard doesnt start till next week, for the Friends of King Alfreds bus running day. King Alfred was an independant bus company in the Winchester area untill the 1970's they were much beloved by enthuaiasts for there eclectic mix of vehicels they hand right untill the end. A bus equivalant of a preservation society was formed to rescue ex King Alfred vehicles or purchase simular types to restore in there livery. Buses have been bought back from the USA and South Africa to this end.

Normaly this operating day happens on New years day when no buses service buses operate in Winchester and they recreate the routes they used to operate, and although a great day out its normally cold and wet! Anyway this yeat they decided to hold another one this weeked as well. The weather was great and Winchester in the sunshine was beautiful and the bus rides were fantastic. Highly recommended if your in the area on New years day.

That's a good reason to avoid the big companies. Last Autumn I had two new replacement windows from a local independent company. Brilliant service from my first contact with them. Perfect workmanship including spotless cleaning up from the fitters. Plus a 20 year insured guarantee into the bargain. I just won't touch the big companies or shops if I can use a smaller one.

roddy said:

.... I just won't touch the big companies or shops if I can use a smaller one.

That was the reasoning behind my decision to use a local company to replace a bedroom window. From my initial contact it was just a matter of a couple of hours before they were round to have an initial inspection and then another hour or so for the quote to be given and fitting date to be agreed. Brilliant! However, we've since passed two arranged dates for measuring up and there's still been no sign of them and they're supposed to be fitting in less than 10 days time. I'm not going to start moaning yet again about poor customer service because I'm acutely aware that I've done it several times before and you're all probably getting a bit tired of hearing it. Perhaps it's just me? Maybe they don't like the look of me? Best of all, this local company is a matter of a few hundred yards from my home - hardly out of the way. I don't see why I should have to chase after them so if it can't be done as already agreed then I'm afraid I will be going elsewhere.

I had spoken to two small companies with little result. Then I saw a signwritten van passing. Looked them up on the internet, read the reviews and telephoned. A chap came the next day and gave me a price. A couple of days later a fitter arrived on time to measure up. My windows were then made in house, and delivered and fitted less than a fortnight later. First job was to lay dust sheets everywhere that they were working. The did any cutting on my drive. At the end of the day, the house areas were swept and vacuumed, and any furnite repositioned. The garden was tidied and the drive was properly swept off. I had forgotten about it when I received a letter from an insurance company that covers the guarantee should the window company go out of business. I am absolutely delighted.

I thought by giving up work l could relax and destrees. No such luck it seems to be full of " Meldrew Moments". New doors were to be fitted Friday but thet changed to last Monday but did'nt turn up so its back to Friday. BT were suposed to come today to move a phone line so they can fit the new doors but did'nt turn up. Eventualy got through to them to be told there coming Friday, no today l say, no Friday they say. So can l cancel it l say then get put through to a number were my "call is important to them" only for the phone to go dead after 12mins 53sec of waiting because they go home at 7. Arrrgh. So between Indian call centres and people more interested in selling me broadband than dealing with my problem tomorrow is a de stress railway day.

• 2 months later...

Been to hot, for me anyway, to do much outside but yesterday went on my first rail tour fo good knows how long.

Very good day on a Hastings DEMU to the North Norfolk railway at Sheringham. I joined at Olympia but the hardened soles came up on it from Hastings. A slow ride around the North London line. I wish l had thought about it in advance and got a recording of it going through the Hampstead tunnel as being in the front power car the sound effects were fantatic.

We were held at Straford so about six minutes late away but that just meant a more spirited run up the main line. Flat out at 75 mph seemed a lot faster and the ride inside was quite lively. Watching a coach load of older gents bouncing up and down by about six inches in the seats was quite comical.

After a return trip on the NNR a spot of lunch in Sherringham. Never been there before and it was a busy little place, very prty place helped by the excellent weather. Watched the 2 car sevice train leave full and loads of people waiting for the local buses so a very popular place.

On time departure was stuffed by waiting for a late running local at Cromer so away 20 minutes late. Quick in and out at Norwich still left us 20+ late. Return south via the Cambridge line, again a spirited run and more bouncy, bouncy (made me spill me beer! ) running.

Slow line running down the ECML was trouble free but you realise how slow you are going when a HST overtook us in Potters Bar tunnel. As it was a hot day most of the windows were open and the effect on board was like decomprssion on a plane, everything that wasn't nailed down in the carridge seem to fly about for a few seconds! Fast running and some built in recovery time meant a on time arrival for me back in London.

I would like to thank Hastings Diesels people for a great day out and the bounus of a well stocked and resonablly priced buffet car as well!

Next tour to Swanage railway in September behind a pair of 73's. Can't wait.

Glad you enjoyed your close fly by of us ( about 7 miles from my house from the line from Norwich to Cromer), hope you didn't get too hot and bothered, it was extremely humid all weekend. Did you get the chance to do down the Sheringham main street as far as the cliffs /beach? There is a model railway shop most of the way down there on the left, but it's not as good as it was and rarely open. Being a tourist town Sheringham is heaving during the summer ( as is Cromer). Sheringham and Cromer act as the market towns for the area, whith North norfolk being the second oldest population in the UK most of those on the buses were probably using their free pensioner passes!!!

As you say model shop open as we strolled down but closed when we came back up 3.30. One hopes the bus passengers knew where they were going because even as an ex bus man l could not make head nor tail of the timetable.

The weather on the coast was nice but inland was a bit sticky but not to bad on the train with the windows open.

Not part of the country l often vist, must change that.