Traction Tyres???

Baimor

My son recently bought me a Lima King George V. It's tender driven and I've managed to strip and rebuild the motor as it ws really noisy. The tender wheels are just spinning on the track. Should it have traction Tyres on it? If so which wheels should they be on?? The wheels measure at 14mm. Does this sound about right? Does anyone have one they could send me a picture of the underside of the tender please showing which wheels need tyres on please? Thanks. Mark

Are you sure it had traction tires? My tender driven locos can hang up. Is the dummy loco armature getting hung up? Try rolling the loco free hand without the tender, how does it roll?

As a tender driven unit, you should be able to set the tender on the track without the loco and run it.

I have a smilar loco. I just tried to locate it, but I think it's at the bottom of a bunch of stored trains. You know how train storing can get. :roll: yeah, even after selling off a large portion of my collection I still have too much/not nearly enough. :lol::lol::lol:

Hi tgb. I've lubricated all the wheels, rods, axels, etc on the loco and it rolls really freely. The tender must take some power from the loco as it won't run without being coupled to the loco. When power is put to the pickups the wheels and motor run perfectly but on track the tender wheels don't seem to grip. Does that make sense anyone?? :D:D:D

Traction tyres on tender: Opposite side of where you'll see the cogs and brass pick-up strip on wheels.

Spent a couple of hours trying to rectify the "No Motion" of engine driving wheels.

I suspect it is actually down to lack of weight in the engine. It is extremely light. Maybe some weight has gone missing over the years.

By strategically placing some lead weight on top of the engine, the motion starts moving.

Not sure whether the project is worth all the effort.

About the Bullfrog Snot...No idea. Must have been some meeting around the table of executives to come up with that name.(After a liquid lunch maybe?) :D

Just a quick PS.

Roddy: read the bumf on the Bullfrog stuff. Looks as though that is the way to go maybe. Looks pricey at first glance, but you have a jar of the stuff on hand and lasts a few years in the bottle.

Good light-hearted promo from Peters spares!!!

I had a Lima LMS Crab at one time, and this has a very similar mechanical arrangement. That also had sticking loco driving wheels and I discovered the problem was not the valvegear but that the chassis had expanded and stopped the wheels turning. The loco has thinnish plastic frames with a diecast weight between them which must have used impure alloy causing it to bulge. I filed the bulge flat, re-assembled it, and it ran beautifully. I fitted it with a Hornby Zero One chip which needed some careful thinking about, so you can see how long ago it was. Has now been replaced with a much nicer Bachmann Crab fitted with a Zimo sound decoder.

I believe the secret of successful use of Bullfrog Snot is to apply it thinly from a cocktail stick, to wheels which are revolving under power. See how you go with the replacement tyres first though - it sounds much less messy!

Edited by Guest

Mark,

I'll probably hang onto the "King" and let it rest in the back of the engine shed for a while.

Problem over here is, that we have no model shops as such (railways) so any rebuilds/spares are always taken from whats at the back of the shed so to speak.

The wear and tear of outdoor running can be demanding, especially (luckily weather-wise) as mine does it in more or less daily doses.

I have a Lima "Western" diesel which has a burnt out motor. In the back of my mind I'm looking at the King motor. Mmm!!!! :D

Just a quick update. Traction Tyres now fitted and I've run the King with a rake of 8 coaches in both directions on the part completed Baimor Line. It's now running fantastic in both directions. :D:D:D Big thanks to everyone for your help and advice. :P:P:P:P