Carlisle and Cumbria floods

Baimor

Deepest sympathy to all affected by the above!! Just been watching he news showing people being evacuated by boat brought back memories of my own experiences of exactly the same situation 8 and a half years ago!! We had 6 feet of water downstairs during the floods of 2007 when we lived in catcliffe down the hill from where we are now! The aftermath is always worse than the actual floodwater. We had to live in a touring caravan for 8 months whilst our home was rebuilt. To anyone affected by this my heart goes out to you!!

I also extend my sympathies to them, I've not experienced flooding as I live on a Norfolk mountain at 19ft.

Just yesterday I was reading of Aylsham receiving 8 inches of rain in 24 hours in 1912. They had a train stuck at Alysham station for 7 weeks due to the floods and track damage so there is nothing new.

Here's a thought, prior to the 1947 snowbound Britain the winter had been unseasonably warm and wet.....

Few keep more than a few days food at home, the Supermarkets are operated on a just in time basis, more than 3 days snow and there will be food shortages everywhere....

• 4 weeks later...

I guess we should extend this to include all those affected by flooding in Yorkshire too.

We spent Xmas up in the Yorkshire Dales. We had planned on going out walking on Xmas day but the rain was relentless for a period of almost 48 hours and while back home in Conisbrough my weather station recorded a total of 6mm of rainfall, up in the Dales my weather station reported just over 90mm in the space of the same two day period. The ground was totally saturated, roads were awash with surface water. We delayed our return home due to the number of roads that were flooded. As an indication of the amount of rain that has fallen in that part of the country, this month alone I've recorded well over 350mm of rain at our caravan compared to less than 50mm here in Conisbrough. All that rainfall has to go somewhere and unfortunately that usually means further downstream.

I've read some people blaming the government and perhaps there are some things that can be done to lessen the severity of the floods, but I don't think there's any government on earth that can overcome the power of nature when it's at it's most menacing.

Whats so silly is that Monday and Tuesday l was working in the garden in shirtsleves when the sun was out down here in the tropical south. Bit differant today as "Frank" is giving us a bit of a battering but still no rain yet.

Hope those of you up north have managed to keep your trackbeds dry and you and your are safe.

A happy new year to you all.