Things we don't worry about

traingeekboy

With cold weather coming on I bought some N scale code 55 track to mess round with on my desk. I have been pondering a small shunting set up with out scenery, just something to roll trains back and forth on. This brought me to become more active on some other forums of course.

I was just reading a huge discussion on how to simulate snow on ones layout. one of the guys no longer lives in my area, but is obsessed with the former Denver and Rio Grande Western line that leads from Denver to Moffat tunnel. He has really mastered the art of winter scenery on his N scale modules.

T26_snow1.jpg

My suggestion to the group was the use of marble powder. And then it struck me, all of us garden railroaders don't really need to make fake snow. Maybe we need to post some snow shots in the coming months.

I thought I would contribute a picture or two from my previous garden layout, from the 1990's, we don't get much snow in this part of England, but I usually had a running session on those occasions. The snow plough is a brass kit, I don't think they are available now.

5-12-2013_031.TIF.jpg

5-12-2013_032 plough.jpg

Welcome to the forum - looks like that was a lot of fun! I have some video posted somewhere from my old layout where I'm running a few trains shortly after clearing the snow from the tracks. Probably not as deep as the conditions you've shown in your photos but just proves that it is possible - if you yourself can stand the cold that is.

Does 'previous' layout suggest that you have another one now?

Hi Mick:

Thanks, yes we moved house a good few years back and I am planing another garden railway now, probably on a wood base, the previous was on concrete, very robust but slow to build and tough to maintain, but then in the garden it is like p-way work on the real thing!