The Baimor Line claims it's first victim

Baimor

:x:x:x Had today off due to weather so thought I'd lay some more track on the Baimor Line. HUGE MISTAKE!!! Totally forgot it was Friday the 13th!! Result?? 7 hours in hospital and 15mm now missing from the end of my ring finger due to my jigsaw thinking I really didn't need an end or even a nail on that finger!!! :o:o:o Back at Rotherham hospital on Monday for surgery!! Bloody railways!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Clot! Sorry to hear that, but you are not the first. A guy I worked with was jigsawing plywood. Holding the sheet with one hand and forgot his fingers were underneath. It's too easy to do. Hope you aren't too sore, and heal quickly.

Just thinking about it makes the old stomach churn a bit. For many years I was in the printing industry and for some reason it was always me that had to extract fingers or hand (thankfully aways still attached to there owners) from printing machines when the operators done something they should'nt have, normally bypasing some safety device to prevent it happening. Just thinking about changeing the 48 inch blades on the power gulliotines still gives me nightmare. In the days before safefy guards it was rare to find a gulliotine operater with a full compliment of fingers and thumbs.

Sorry, probably not the sort of thing you wanted to hear about but I hope everything goes all right and your back up and about soon.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: thanks guys! I'll live I'm sure! Funnily enough the injections between the fingers hurt more than the accident!! :lol::lol::lol: really not looking forward to surgery tho! :lol::lol::lol: SWMBO is looking after me well tho. The Mrs told me to sweep the decking before I started but I didn't listen!! Didst blew into my eyes at precisely the wrong time. It's amazing how long a jigsaw actually carries on running after you release the trigger :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm not saying anything about the accident that's tempting fate too much with how often I use a jigsaw..

Rotherham hospital should look after you OK I've spent many hours there ( luckily not for me) the car park is full of potholes though....

:D:D:D the company my old contracts manager now works for has site cabins on the grounds now!! :D:D he asked me to join the company about 2 years ago but I declined. I'm happier picking and choosing my own work but I definitely don't think I'll be applying for any surgeons work!! :lol::lol::lol: amputations maybe more my speciality :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm sorry to hear about this injury, although it seems like you are taking it in stride.

I have an old old circular saw that scares the hell out of me. I need it to cut my boards, but every time I use it I am convinced I am going to do something horrible to myself.

Although this event is being taken rather lightly, it seems like we really should be talking more about power tool safety. Most of us do not have proper training on these tools, and simply buy them and fake our way through it.

I know for myself that not being in a the trades, I had to teach myself what little I know. A lot of it came from being around friends who were professionals. One guy told me how you always have to keep in mind that even though you have stopped using the tool and no longer are pressing the GO button on it, it can really hurt you; this sounds a lot like your accident. He described a guy putting down a hand saw with a round blade and having the saw literally crawl up his leg and nearly kill him.

Just as bad as having the thing keep going, is having the thing suddenly stop going. Always twist your extension cords into a loose knot before plugging them together; that way they can't pull apart and cause an accident.

Not too long ago I did something really stupid and tried to use my saw to cut a small piece that was awkward to hold. In the end the small piece kicked back into me. Hurt like hell. I felt stupid. I was reminded not to use the right tool for the wrong job.

No loose sleeve cuffs either.

No neck ties.

No wedding rings when using power tools.

Eye protection!!!

Wear long heavy pants.

Oh, hey it's weekend, I think I will just wear flip flops to do this dangerous construction job just this once. Nothing like losing your footing when handling a power tool.

So yeah, hate to spoil the joke party, but you are so lucky it wasn't worse.

You're right tgb! ! Power tools can be very dangerous so don't try this at home kids! :lol::lol::lol: The funny thing is that in 28 years in the building trade I've never had an accident as bad as this!! The worse thing is the mrs being able to say " I told you to sweep the sawdust up because of the wind!!" I was about to make a cut when the sawdust blew up into my eyes due to the very strong winds we've been having. You automatically close your eyes and clench up which made me squeeze the trigger!! :o:o:o Surgery at 9.30 in the morning so as from 7pm today I'm on nil by mouth!! :x:x:x:x

My maximum caution time is when I get the chainsaw out!!!!

Three of us built boats for something to do out in Saudi I built the smallest 18ft by 4 ft the largest was 30ft by 10ft.

We didn't brush up the sawdust because we were working on sand!!

Then someone came along chatting to us and threw his fag in the sand....

It caught fire!!!!

Luckily we had clean sand and some water around to put it out.

Between us we had generated so much sawdust we were working on a big pile of it mixed with sand!!!

No smoking signs were quickly put up....

It's nothing more than a Gallows humour Griff. Power tools must be handled with care. My personal hate is the chainsaw. No protection seems enough for those things. My own failing though is a simple set of stepladders. I have lost count of the number of times I've landed on my backside. Not bad for an ex Fireman eh?