Cowboy Builders

Baimor

So 6 weeks ago I did aroof repair which was through the customers insurance company. Job done and the insurance company send out their inspector to, funnily enough, inspect the work. ( strange this as I have never come across this before) Job Done to a "very high standard" ( the inspectors words not mine)! I've now Been waiting for payment for a month! The customer claims not to have been payed yet by his insurer. Today I get on to the insurance company just to see why it's taking so long to settle the claim and pay me. I explain I've paid £400 out for materials plus labour on top for 2 men! Guess what!! They paid out 2 days after the inspectors visit. The customer has had the money paid to him and spent it!!!! Cowboy builders??? What about all the cowboy customers? ?? I'm at a loose end next Monday so while I've got the time I'm going to strip MY materials back off his roof!!!!

Go to the County Court, get a judgement, and then move it to the High Court and get the Sherrifs in to collect payment or remove goods.

Six weeks ago, I had the front double glazing replaced by a reputable local company. Perfect from the first contact. While the lads were sweeping my driveway, I went to my hidey hole and fetched the envelope containing the cash that I had withdrawn the day before. I know I paid cash, but the whole job was properly quoted, agreed, receipted and guaranteed in writing. That's the way to repay a perfect job.

I'm needing a roof replacement next year on my Semi. Built in 1936, it's at end of life really. Pity that Rotherham is too far from Sunderland, or I would be asking you for a quote.

Lol! Nothing wrong with that Q!! I think I may start having to ask for some up front! There's all these programmes on TV regarding bad builders but nothing about the customers that don't pay!

Roddy: thanks for the mate but it's slightly too far to travel mate! :D:D:D

If I'm doing an extension/porch or other large job I generally do it in 'stage payments'. An eighth up front, an eight when building control have checked the footings, a quarter when building control have checked the damp proof course, a quarter when building control have checked the roof and the final quarter on completion when building control have signed it off. I find this way best all round as the customer knows they aren't paying a huge sum out and the most I can be out of pocket should anything happen is my labour costs.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Well my day off has been spent VERY productively!! I've been and removed MY ridge tiles, lead flashing and rosemary tiles today from this customers roof!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: I'm expecting the telephone ringing any minute when he returns home from work!! Even his neighbours thought it was hilarious as apparently I'm not the first builder he's ripped off!! Maybe next time he'll think twice!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:D:D:D Yes Q. I won't be surprised if he's got no roof at all in the morning once the winds got under the tiles!!! :D:D:D:D I've just had a lovely conversation with him!!! He says he's going to the police but soon shut up when I told him my solicitor and the police have both told me that as he hasn't paid for them and I have the receipts to prove I have paid for them that legally they are MY materials to do with as I please!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: The best part is I am doing my nieces house tomorrow and Saturday ( weather permitting) and 90% of the materials can be reused on her roof!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Glad your chimneys turned out ok mate! Not all builders are bad mate :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Never mess with my sister. After several weeks of being messed about by a builder finishing her extension roof she solved the problem by stranding the said builder on the roof by taking the ladder away until he finished ! He even called the police (from the roof) who decided they were to busy to come out and suggested he finished the job!