Baimor Line started

Baimor

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks a great start Mark - it's good to see progress in pictures.

Now that you're up and running I would go back to your opening post above, edit it and change the subject title to one that reflects the name of your layout (you can change it again later). I will then move it to the 'members layouts' category so that in future all your progress can be added to that single thread in order to keep everything together otherwise it will all get jumbled up.

Looking forward to more progress - you shouldn't be far off being able to run something along there now ;)

Thanks for your kind comments Mick. I know it's taken me ages to lay 3 lanes of track but I've checked all my locos run on each one as I've done it and checked wiring etc. Thankfully I've been able to overcome my gradient problem too!!

Thanks mate. Yes it's quite a slope isn't it? I'm going all round the garden. As your looking at it now it's going onto the decking raised on someform of wooden bridge ( as yet undecided what to Build!!) turning left in front of the little shed then some form of removable structure to allow access to the large ( engine??) shed which it will run through giving me storage and a fiddle yard. It will then turn left again out of the shed and up the other side ( but running level not uphill if that makes any sense??) of the garden on some form of 3 track viaduct bringing it level with the side I've already built then turn left again to meet up with the existing bit if that makes sense? Mark

That's as much slope there in 16 ft As I have in 100Ft!! quite a challenge but may make the line more interesting.

I like the stone work too.

Lamp posts, on a public highway they are just under 60ft apart normally, (240mm in our scale), in a railway yard they often further apart and taller. Although if above something like refueling depot pumps they may be a lot closer.

Are you going to disguise going between the spindles, maybe the track going under a bridge or viaduct?

Hi Q. I know I dropped a clanger with the spacing of the lamp posts so I'm going to have a think about putting something near them to try and take the eye away from my cockup. There's going to be some form of raised track bed on the decking ( a bridge perhaps?). I was going to cut the spindles and put a tunnel mouth or something there but 'er indoors wanted to keep the spindles so I had to open out the tracks to go through the gaps. The stone came from land around where I live. It's a new build on the old Orgreave site and there's a pile of around 100 tonnes of it on the land that's not yet developed so a quick word with the builders meant they gave me free reign to take as much as I want. I wanted to use stone to try and add a bit of interest to the line instead of it all just being on bridges, etc, whilst still overcoming the quite substantial gradient.

You're lucky to have a source of those stones BQ would charge you a couple of quid each!

I knew I'd heard of Orgreave, good job all that ammunition wasn't around in 1984!

I could do with a few tons of stones here, but all we have is clay and sand down the beach.

Q: yes I'm lucky to have a source of stone. I know how much the garden centres charge for it and I'm glad the builders were obliging when I asked them. I did give the guy I spoke to £20 and told him to get a drink on me which probably helped!! Lol! Haven't found anything to do with the Orgreave dispute yet but I have unearthed quite large amount of horse shoes on my walks!!

Mart: thanks for that mate! Yes I think some resin tunnel mouths will look great!! My next purchase me thinks!!

Thanks guys.Mark

Baimor said:

Ooops. Not sure what I've done Mick but I seem to have opened another thread with the same title!!! Appologys. Mark

Not a problem....both topics now merged into one and firmly located in the Members Garden Railways section.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Baimor, I was just looking at your grade, don't worry too much, are you going to use DCC as you can have a couple of helper locos at the end of a train see that a lot in real life in America and Australia as well, have heaps of fun, all you need to do is add a couple of siding for the locos.

Agree with Mark on the rock retaining walls, nice job indeed, what's the plan with your layout going around the whole fence lines, love the paved path way as well, you are lucky to have a level yard . My back yard is too steep would have to have a few spirals to get up the back yard would be awesome if I could do that, can only dream the other option is around the whole house big undertaking on a budget, lucky to get my layout up and running.

Keep the good work flowing, a bugger you are moving into winter and the snow stops you going outside too run any trains, the opposite over here yesterday we had a taste of summer was 40 degrees in the sun 35 under the pergola and24 degrees in the house, good time to work on the layout projects.

Tony from down under.

Hi Tony. You lucky so and so having sun and warmth. We rarely get that even in summer!! Lol! I think summer over here was on a Tuesday this year. Haha! My garden isn't level mate!! The track is level!!! I've had to build it that way to overcome the gradient!! I'm going to have 2 sidings outside but on the left hand side of the garden ( unbuilt as yet ) and 3 more inside the large shed when I've moved things around in there to make space. This will then act as storage for the locos/rolling stock to save keep taking them on and off the track. Thanks for your praise on the path/patio. The Mrs insisted I finished that before I started building the layout! ( bloody women!!) Lol! I used to enjoy soldering until I started soldering droppers to the track. What a ballache of a job!! I now do it at night when it's too dark to do anything else then I've got some ready in case the weather permits track laying the following day. How's your layout coming along mate? Regards. Mark

• 2 weeks later...