Hornby remote control???

Baimor

Hi guys! Resident idiot here again :D:D:D ! I just won 2 hornby remote controls on ebay for a fiver each! They come with transformers, remotes and even the little station type buildings that double as receivers. I just wondered if anyone has any experience, good or bad, of using these? They may be rubbish but I thought it was worth a punt at a tenner for the pair :D . Thanks. Mark

not much info about only this: start with a brand new PP9 battery and keep the controller near the hut to make sure both ariels point upwards and they are both extended.

The coloured handset requires a 9 Volt battery. Maybe worth checking the battery is ok.

the mains transformer-power adaptor output is connected to the control house.

track power cable is connected from the control building.

one of it faults is that if you overload the unit it will shut down.

R9060 RADIO CONTROL & SOUND CONTROLLER HORNBY.jpg

Overload cut offs (Due to power surges) are intended to protect motors, controllers, and branch-circuit conductors against

excessive heating (Aka runing to long) due to prolonged motor overcurrents up to and including locked motor currents.

Protection of the motor and the other branch-circuit components from higher currents, due to short

circuits or grounds,

in other words dont run to long use the correct power supplies, and wired correctly

think off it like a fuse box with a trip

Also overload due to many trains runing from the same controller, When two trains are required to be controlled on separate circuits independent to each other, an additional R9060 Radio Control & Sound system must be added.

Thanks again mart. Yes I will only be running 1 train from each remote. It's more for my 5 year old than anything so he doesn't have to sit in one place holding wired controller. He's train mad since a visit to the national railway museum at York and he can't wait to start playing trains. Obviously the layout is just for him not me!! ( honestly!!!) Lol!

• 6 months later...

Hi Shaun. Yes, I've got to say these are great for the kids. They have forward, stop and reverse and even some sound effects from the base unit which, whilst not very convincing to us adults, does keep the little uns entertained. I've fitted a variable resister between the base unit and track so I can limit the top speed of whichever loco he's using as he seems to prefer my new Mallard now to his Thomas the tank engine and we've had a few ' scary moments' !!! And for the cost if they do happen to get damaged it's not the end of the world. Regards. Mark

• 2 months later...

Did you manage to find any of these remotes Shaun? Although they're technically 9volts I found certain locos (mainly class 37's and the like) struggled on only 9volts so I experimented a bit with one and ran it off 14volts. I've used it regularly and it seems fine although the sound effects now sound more akin to a budgie being strangled!! :lol::lol::lol:

• 10 months later...

Got one of these with some stuff l bought on e bay last week and now l've bought some batteries for it tried it out today. Have to say that it works very well and even has a better operation range than my Dynamis.

The sound is also better than some of the posh jobs l've heard although the whistle effect would not be out of place in a Stephen King horror movie though.