Drainage holes in baseboards????

Baimor

Sorry for asking what will probably be another stupid question but I'm well under way with the construction of my baseboards and as some of them will be sandwiched with my interpretation of stone walling this will in effect from a channel. Will I have problems with standing water? Do I need to drill drainage holes through my baseboards?? I noticed our wise beyond belief leader ( Mick) has drilled drainage holes in his viaduct to alleviate this. Do I need to do the same or should I just put a minute fall on this section of baseboard?? Any thoughts/advice greatfully received. Thanks again guys. Mark

Personally I wouldn't drill plain drainage holes in the baseboards as it would just be another potential entry point for wet and damp to get to the wood. I remember Chris (Amblethorpe layout) inserting a plastic or metal tube into a pre-drilled hole in his baseboard for point operations - sealing the hole round the exposed tube section. Maybe that would be a better way if drainage holes are the only option?

How do you intend sandwiching the walling and the baseboards? Ant chance you can give a quick illustration of what you intend to do?

Hi Mick. my drawing is even more shocking than some of my questions so I will try to explain the best I can. I've wrapped my baseboards in felt, top and sides pulled tight then stapled underneath the boards. I have cut and 'shaped' some 3 mm marine ply to 45mm tall which when placed flush with the bottom of my 20mm baseboard gives a height above the board of 25mm ( roughly a scale 6 ft ) which I've painted with Ron seal garden colours grey paint which has then had a very light 'dusting' of aerosol grey primer to give a 'weathered' look. This resembles stone walling (sort of)!! I then ran a thin bead of clear silicone along the baseboard edge where this 'walling' is to be fixed! Clamp the ply in place until the silicone sets then the silicone sticks it in place without resorting to screws/nails having to puncture the felt. I must stress that with silicone you get what you pay for. Products from a certain retailer that sell everything for a pound are rubbish!! Buy a decent quality silicone and it will perform as good as any glue on the market. Hope this makes sense Mick?? Will try and get some pics when mother nature allows!! Mark

You could do with something like a 20mm deep strip of ply cut into sections and glued flush to the bottom of the 45mm deep wall with a small gap between the sections to allow surplus water to drain away.

I think IanR (Kirkfield & Warmthorpe Railway) has a wooden fascia or trim along the edge of his layout that has spacers inserted where it is fastened/screwed to the base leaving the trim standing proud of the baseboard edge. The following photo from Ian's photo gallery shows it better than I can explain.

1ccb3b066e9b1434c334916480cb058a.jpg