DDC conversions

chris

I've spent some time today fitting DDC chips. So far I've purchased a section of traction and rolling stock that fits into the three camps of "fitted", "ready" and "other" so have built up some experience with installation techniques. I've also had the time to find out which chips I like (TCS) and which I don't (Hornby).

Currently my fleet is exclusively fixed formation passenger stock so for me DCC has a lot to do with lights as well as motors, and every unit, apart from the single car 153 requires two or more DCC chips

The problem with the Hornby chip is with the lights. If the power to the chip is interrupted the lights go off but when power returns they stay off and you have press the lights button on the controller twice ( off then on) to get them to re light. The TCS chips come back on by themselves. This may sound like a trivial matter, but if the chip is in a non-motor car, then all the chip is doing is controlling the lights so it's rather useful if they can preform that function correctly.

So last weekend and this I've had my iron out and I've been replacing Hornby chips with TCS ones. The process was relatively simple and the results are far more satisfactory. I used TCS FL-4s, which are function only decoders (they don't have motor output) and can control 4 functions, in my case lights. I'm using two of these for forward and rear lights and may use the other two for door indicator lights on the side of the carriage.

Ive now fitted the Hornby chips into a friends locos. He's 17 and all his cash gets spent at the petrol station (the fool), but he has a fleet of diesel locos which he can't run on my layout until he's chipped them. We did an EWS 37/4 and a BR Blue 25, both were "ready" so, apart from getting the body off the 37 it was a simple job. It was nice to see a couple of locos running about Amblethorpe, and the experience really rekindled my mates enthusiasm for the hobby.

I've only got two Hornby chips left in my fleet and now I've found a suitable home for them I think I'll be replacing them soon. The TCS chip are far superior in every department.

Agree with you on the standard Hornby chip. The one I had in a DCC fitted class 56 loco lasted for less than a circuit before expiring. I have had no problems (yet) with the standard Bachmann chips and these are still available at reasonable cost. I have yet to try a Hornby 'Sapphire' but by all accounts they are much better than the standard Hornby offering.

I've never considered the light problem. Sure, there have been occasions when I've lost the lights and had to switch them off and then on again but never gave it another thought. Better take a bit more notice in future.

Mick, lights are less important to you because you have a loop and your trains tend to run in the one direction. My loop won't arrive until phase 4 so my units are reversing all the time and lights are very good indicators as to which direction they are about to head off in. When you get round to installing some sidings in your shed ;) and you can run a loco round your stock you'll pay a bit more attention to the lights.

Now I have the DecoderPro software, the abilities of DCC Chips are a lot easier to comprehend. I will have a play with some of the settings soon and have a go at altering momentum and speed curves. I may even try and work out what the heck Back EMF is.