The thoughts of Chairman Q

TheQ

My boss is on holiday next week so I'm having to fill in my personal Assessment this week, Here's one of the boxes I have to fill in and describe how I match the target statements. :(

So this is one set comments in the five target boxes in section 2, that I have to match. :roll:

Builds People, Teams & Organizations

•Relentlessly attracts, engages and develops people

•Creates followership and collaboration

•Builds strong and effective organizations

I work on my own, in a room on my own and speak to may be 1 or 2 people a day! and By regulation have to my work in a specific way. :?:

My brain hurts!! :?

Fortunately I got out of the big businesses just as this twaddle was being introduced. It's nothing more than an exercise to justify the overlarge HR departments that companies now employ. Useless shower in my experience. If I needed three men for an immediate start, it meant NOW, so I used to send a couple of lads round the local pubs to grab anybody with two hands that wanted 12 hours work to get the shift done. This led to a few problems with these strangers giving false names to try to avoid tax stoppage. Not quite Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck, but very close. I played merry hell about it to my supervisors and the very next morning found that my night supervisor had employed John Conte. (Remember the boxer of the early 80s?) I refused to pay him, but caught a cold when the said John Conte (not the boxer) turned up for his wages.

Well today I had my brain fried again with compliance training, 5 cases of power point poisoning , did you Know a moving part is a piece of a machine that moves? :?

Most of the diversity training was spent talking abut the laws in the USA complete with pictures of the statue of liberty.. diverse the training wasn't.!! :!:

Someone else was almost fried, we have contractors in replacing the "in floor mains sockets" the new ones of course, are to big to fit the holes so they have a kangoo drill to drill out the concrete before making good and fitting the new sockets. Though that was not the problem.

The man tested the socket with his socket tester, all off, then he cut through with his hand cutters, big bang, flash of light and a little cloud of smoke!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock: ! yes his Socket tester was faulty!!! luckily because they are working on that ring main none of our equipment was on it today or we could have lost 12 hours work plus damaged equipment. he was saved by having insulated cutters although they'll not be used again, they are a bit melted... :oops:

Edited by Guest

I have watched Dr Who since about 1965, missing only the Sylvester Macoy series. I've just watched part two of the Osgood box episodes.

I think The Doctor's (Peter Capaldi) speech at the two Osgood boxes, is both one of the best pieces of acting and the best speech I've ever seen in Dr Who, come to that ever seen in anything.

For the Fallen

Poem by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943), published in The Times newspaper on 21st September 1914.

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,

England mourns for her dead across the sea.

Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,

Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal

Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.

There is music in the midst of desolation

And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,

Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;

They sit no more at familiar tables of home;

They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;

They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,

Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,

To the innermost heart of their own land they are known

As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,

Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,

As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,

To the end, to the end, they remain.

]

Well yesterday the chimney men finally turned up and removed the wrapping protecting the chimney. I've been up since and they didn't go down as close to the roof as I would have liked but they appear to have done a good job very smooth and neat. Hopefully the chimney cowls will turn up tomorrow and be fitted, they're needed to stop the rain going down the stacks and to keep suicidal pigeons from falling down them.

In the mean time we have some heating for the cold snap predicted for today / tomorrow.

I've got tomorrow off to keep SWMBO happy, as Saturday I'm off to the Spalding MRC show, mind you I think I'll need tomorrow off as I had a terrible nights lack of sleep maybe only 4 hours spread over an 8 hour period...

After, for me, a good sleep of just over 6 hours I had been working in the railway shed we SWMBO appeared saying the cowls had arrived so I bimbled down opened the box, all OK, I got a screwdriver out as that was needed and headed up the ladder good view up there, I can see the north sea over the sand dunes. I had just figured how to fit it when I heard a roaring behind me a quick glance behind confirmed my worst fears. So I braced myself to the chimney, back to the wind, hand on top of the cowl and waited....

Then it hit, a squall horizontal rain and high winds, I was instantly soaked. So I stayed braced up for up to a minute till the main wind passed then with one hand holding the vowel one fiddled around with the giant jubilee clip till it was over all the hooks then screwed it up.

Since I was already wet in the pouring rain I carried on with the other chimney, but pre preparing the giant jubilee clip this time. I can confirm the even though I'm standing on a platform 40ft in the air with a howling gale from behind me you still get a face full of smoke.. Just like barbequeing.

Just back from the Spalding MRC show which I enjoyed, I particularly liked Loch Oran, Aston and the Holbeach Estate railway. I didnt buy much, just a stack of second hand wagons in reasonable condition for £3 each most of them boxed.

I left just as it started raining by the time I got back here it was bucketing.

Well time to get changed and swim down the road I've another sailing club dinner to go to.

The devils orchestra was in town last night not a lot of sleep was got!!!

The high winds are turning all the scaffolding into flutes wistling and howling all night.

But it was Good doo last night which was more than the sailing was this morning, due to high winds. The clubs anemometer was recording 36 mph and that's sheltered from wind by a big willow tree when it's in this direction. Xc weather is showing 45 on the nearest site to me at the moment.

So an extra 4 hours were spent on the shed.

Another lost nights sleep as storm " Barney" passed through, the forecast for tonight is not much less wind.... :(

Cats....

We have a cat, inherited from someone who moved away about 6 months ago.

It's terrified of farm machinery, which meant she was not happy :( yesterday, they were loading sugar beet into lorries ..

It's a great mouser, :D

The description on it's documents that we received is 'Grumpy" :evil:

It's not fond of me, :(

I get up in the morning and go to the bathroom in the mean time the cat comes up stairs and goes in the bedroom.

I go to bed at night she comes down stairs and sleeps on the sofa.

If SWMBO goes to or comes back from the Railway shed the cat follows...

If I'm sat in the chair in the railway shed she can see me and won't come in without a lot of persuasion from SWMBO. Once in she runs past me down to the other end of the shed.

Unusually she came in the bathroom last night while I was in there, :? and wandered round the edge of the bath listening intently to the noise of the wind whistling round the overflow.

If I meet the cat in a corridor she takes fright and runs away.. :o

Sometimes she'll take a bit of food from my hand, other times she'll only take it if I give the food to SWMBO.

Yet another nights sleep lost I woke at 00:50, when the scaffolding planks started bouncing up and down in the wind, scaffolding tubes were playing a tune as well.

I got home to be met by SWMBO, to be told there is something wrong up there....

So in the gathering dusk, up the ladders I went, to find, several planks had moved and were sticking up in the air, so I refitted them. Then I noticed one of the cowlings was displaced, a quick inspection showed one of the factory fitted nuts and bolts were missing. so I took the cowling off and returned to the ground. I replaced the nut and bolt with a pairing which included a lock nut.. Then up in the darkness and refitted the cowling in the increasing wind...

I'll have to check the planks again when I get home after the noise last night...

Still haven't done a patrol of the garden to check if we've lost any trees, they are quite ancient fruit trees (in excess of 120 years), with an even older hedgerow which the previous owners let grow out into trees. I'm slowly going round cutting them down to size but there is only so much firewood I can use and it takes a considerable time chopping up all the remains.

I've got tomorrow off so I might be busy....

Well I've been getting more sleep over the last few days, but more storms are forecast.

So the've issued a flood warning for East Anglia as spring tides / low air pressure / wind blowing down the north sea are all due at the same time.. and we've had a huge amount of rain of the last few days filling the rivers..

Friday, I had hoped to get more done on the Railway shed but SWMBO needed to go to Norwich, not too expensive....

Saturday, working on the railway shed, more ceiling work done, SWMBOS , computer, Projector, Light box cabinet finished except for trim. More importantly 8ft more of layout top cut and loosely installed.

Sunday, sailing, I wasn't , it was my turn on rescue boat, probably just as well as when I was making up the Multi-fuel fire that morning the handle came off, so my finger touched the glass...... OOOOOOWWWWWch, big blister on first finger not good for pulling ropes. This has since burst. I froze sitting still all day, so when I got home I ordered a " wooly bear", there's a long time to go till winter is over...

Yesterday (Monday) made an appointment for my annual prodding / visit to the vampire / Eye test for Diabetes, they've gone all user friendly this year I've got an appointment at 18:45 instead of having to take time off work...

One wonders why they were filming what should have been a routine task, it's pretty obvious that the windlass brake failed.

I love the bloke going to the side at the end, all he was going to see over the side would be sea.

I did throw a mud weight over the side at Horning to hold the bow when stern on mooring, only to have the end attached to the cleat come undone. but the rivers on the broads are only around 5ft deep (plus a couple of feet of mud) and it had 30ft of rope on it, so a few seconds of fishing with the boat hook caught the rope OK.

Things we don't we about.. as said by Roddy....

I don't have to worry about the wind.... yes, we have high winds forecast yet again but FINALLY the scaffolders came and removed their scaffolding. No more devils orchestra on the roof, No more scaffolding boards drumming up and down in the wind.

Only problem is the bill (part 2) will now come in from the chimney men...

Added to that the landRover is in for a service MOT and rebuild the front axle, this is going to be one expensive month.

Still I've got tomorrow off as I use up my remaining holiday for the year, a big box of heavy duty sand paper arrived for my belt sander today so I can take it out on the floor of the railway shed...

just found this...

I have a little Satnav, It sits there in my car

A Satnav is a driver's friend it tells you where you are.

I have a little Satnav, I've had it all my life

It's better than the normal ones, My Satnav is my wife.

It gives me full instructions, Especially how to drive

"It's sixty miles an hour", it says, "You're doing sixty five".

It tells me when to stop and start, And when to use the brake

And tells me that it's never ever, Safe to overtake.

It tells me when a light is red, And when it goes to green

It seems to know instinctively, Just when to intervene.

It lists the vehicles just in front, And all those to the rear

And taking this into account, It specifies my gear.

I'm sure no other driver, Has so helpful a device

For when we leave and lock the car, It still gives its advice.

It fills me up with counselling, Each journey's pretty fraught

So why don't I exchange it, And get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, Makes sure I'm properly fed

It washes all my shirts and things, And keeps me warm in bed!

Despite all these advantages, And my tendency to scoff,

I only wish that now and then, I could turn the bugger off.

Pam Ayres

NO further comment will be coming from me!!