TheQ

The thoughts of Chairman Q

89 boats are confirmed for the race,  little down on Numbers. With 8 days 23 hours and a bit till the start, the webcames are begining to come to life and one appears to be live feed for the first time instead of 15second stills. click on the black screen to see it..

https://horning-sailing.club/webcams.php

And today being Thursday they are getting the sailing club ready for the sailing school, up to 80 kids will turn up later to learn to sail in ever decreasing circles.

Edited by TheQ

Get them into boats young. I learned  in Toppers, Mirrors, Optimus' then wayfarers and enterpise before learning to capsize regularly in lasers. Fantastic fun! We have hobicats on board here but I have not plucked up the courage to take one for a run when we are at anchor. Too fast for me!

cheers

mark

They can, join our sailing school at the age of 8, which is the youngest the Broads authority allows anyone to helm on the Norfolk Broads. ( But they do teach adults as well), If anyone lives nearby, then you are advised to visit the year before. to get information and you name on the list such is the waiting list...

Horning sailing club is one of the cheapest on the broads, with club membership being roughly £120 a year for a family. There are additional small fees for the sailing school,

we are a self help club, the only paid staff is the cleaner once a week..  I was PAT testing the Club in Saturday.

I've spent many times upside down in Lasers and Enterprises. Just once crewed a hobbie cat out in Saudi Arabia. These days I mostly sail a Yeoman.. http://www.yeomankinsman.org.uk/yeoman/yeoman.shtm if you can see Yeoman 103 in the main picture I'm the red blob under the sail.  I do helm as well .. The picture is taken from the front of the sailing club.

I'm also restoring a minature keelboat I built in Saudi, when rebuilt it will be 16ft long, sit in facing forward., steer with your feet, control the jib and main with your hands.. A sort of Norfolk Broads International 2.4 in operation, but not style of boat.

As for the race, yesterday they were forecasting a northerly 3mph for the start of the race race today they are forecasting a North Easterly a 9mph north easterly. We need more wind as the race is spending the first 4 hours against the tide...

More webcams have come on ready for the race,  you can see the boats are starting to arrive ready for Saturday, If you click on the black screen you get Potter Heigham bridge, the hole in the wall all the boats have to go through twice..

Edited by TheQ

Is it really nearly a year since I posted here?  Life has got in the way,  a family funeral,  and too much to do and not enough time to do it.  

Very shortly I'll be heading out Into the cold to finish building a new shed,  not for railways but gardening equipment . That means I can clear half the garage,  so that I can use it as a workshop.  That then means I can clear the alleyway between the mobile home and model railway shed which was my workshop,  as SWMBO has highjacked it for use as a wool treatment room for preparing wool for weaving. It does mean the new workshop is nearer where I need it. 

This summer I will be still continuing with my boat rebuild,  which I hoping to complete this summer,  no garden railway work will be going on for some time, my plans haven't changed, just delayed.. 

My indoor model railway work only continues at the MRC,  the N gauge layout https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38780.0 Progresses well but slowly,  there are 4 original boards and one sub-board,  I'm finishing board three and working mostly on board 4. Soon I should  start on new boards 5 and 6 where the sub-board will now sit.

It will however go on display on the 26th May,  10:30-15:30 at Hoveton village hall,  where we, the Broadland model railway club are having a club open day,  we'll have to charge £3.50 at the door  due to hall hire costs.  We'll have about a dozen club or club members  layouts will be there, most will be running .

Hall costs are a problem,  one of the local shows has had to close due the increasing cost of halls. Our own full show in early October can only continue with sponsorship which pays the £500 hall costs.. 

Right time to finish the coffee and get wrapped up warm to venture outside..