The thoughts of Chairman Q

TheQ

I can confirm our entry fee is a huge £2, and the opening hours are 10:00 to 16:00.
I think we will have 6 or 7 operating layouts, 3 of which are completed. Also there will be other non operational  layouts under construction / rebuild.

Edited by TheQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regatta week  went well, only two major incidents, one sailing boat was squashed against a bank by a hire cruiser, causing damage to the boat and a lady on the sailing boat needed dental work after hitting her face.

The Other involved a diesel dayboat which managed to mount a sailing boat, and have the helm of the sailing boat lying on the cockpit floor looking up at the hull of the dayboat.

I ( we on my dory) rescued,

A topper Dinghy,

Three ladys in a canoe and one of them's son in another  canoe, paddle downwind in 40mph wind and with the tide was easy, they couldn't make it back against the wind.

A Hire boat stuck nose to the bank trying to turn to tie up, with sailing boats bearing down. a quick sideways push on the stern by the dory pushed them parallel and cleared the river.

I'll try to post a few pictures once I've sorted them out.

Meantime this weekend was:

A, resting

B, Removing a concrete fence post, which turned out to be 9ft, three of which were buried into the ground, that destroyed my rest!!

Just a reminder if you're in the area, I won't be working in the garden on Sunday because... 

Broadland Model Railway Club are holding their Open Day on Sunday 13th of August 2107 10:00 to 16:00 at:

Stalham Town Hall, High Street Norwich Norfolk NR12 9AH.

We do have to have a small charge for entry to cover costs which is a Huge £2

There will be Club and Members layouts in a variety of Gauges,

We hope to have a second hand Stock and Book stall,

Tea and Coffee will be available, there is a pub across the road!!!

:no: Drop in if you're in the area, have a chat and see what we do. :no:

Yesterday was Broadland Model Railway Club's Second Open day at Stalham town hall.

15:30 Saturday set off for BMRC at Catfield (ask me for details should anyone wish to visit)

16:00 start loading up about ten cars and my landrover.

16:45  ish set off in convoy..

17:00 Enter hall,  puzzle how to get all the electrics on, unload cars place layouts into piles in designated places round the hall.

18:00 layouts assembled, some tested.

18:30 Sorting finished,  depart for home via BMRC for forgotten things

There were several layouts completed, one nearly finished, one track down scenics just started,  one track still being laid.

Saturday.

05:00 wake up, get up, SSS,

07:00 breakfast

08:00 set off for Stalham Town Hall

08:15 Arrive at S.T.H.

08:30 we are in, Put up banner and notices inside  and outside the hall.

09:30 All members have arrived, bringing with them their rolling stock boxes,  and have started final testing read for the day.

09:45, tea and coffee for everyone

10:00 open the doors...

10:00 -16:00 Since my layout isn't being shown this year, my particular role is a spare hand wandering around, assisting should anyone need it.

16:00 we've had nearly 100 visitors, and half a dozen asked for details of how to visit the club with a view to joining. Getting new members was the whole idea for having this open day each year.

16:45 by this time, we've packed up into all the cars, I leave with one of the first of the loads.

17:00 At BMRC, unloading the club layouts into their positions inside the club rooms, except for one which is off to a show next week. Most Members layouts stay in their cars for transport home.

17:15 head for home.

Club layouts will be assembled as members come in to visit the club. For which we all have keys for and  the club house is available all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

And just to keep 'em coming here are the details for our annual show in early October.

Broadland Model Railway Club's  ( http://s643945335.websitehome.co.uk/ )

Annual Exhibition at Alysham.

Jubilee Centre, Norwich Road, Aylsham, Norfolk NR11 6JG

7th October 2017,  10:00 to 16:00

Entry,   £4 Adults,    £3 Children,    £3 Concessions

Limited Disabled parking on site.

ALL others at the Bure Valley Railway, Aylsham Station, Norwich Road, Aylsham, Norfolk, NR11 6BW (300 yards)

By a ticket on the BVR From Wroxham and Hoveton Station and get entry to the show for free!!

http://www.bvrw.co.u...el-rail-express

The 2017 model railway exhibition sponsored by the Bure Valley Railway will be held again in the Jubilee Centre, Aylsham, NR11 6JG on Saturday 7th October. There will be models of different gauges and sizes. These range from N gauge to 00 gauge with model steam and diesel traction as the theme.  Exhibitors will come from the surrounding counties of East Anglia.

The exhibition owes much of its success to the catering support given by the ladies.   They do a magnificent job providing refreshments for the visitors and lunches for the exhibitors, traders & our volunteer helpers.

One of the BMRC members is offering a “Loco Doctor” service this year.  If you have a loco that needs attention then bring it along for a once over and advice. There is no charge for this service.

EXHIBITORS.

OO Gauge

Billingborough                                   00

Binegar                                             00

Broadfield                                          00  16.5mm and 4mm:1ft

Cato Pass                                          00

East Park Depot                                 00

East Becton                                        EM 4mm/ft

Ebridge Mill                                       00 4mm Fine scale

Terminus All Change                          00/HO

34th Street                                         HO

Thomas 2                                           00

N Gauge

Buda                                                 N 1:160

Charleston                                         N

Harnser”s Loke                                  N

Oma Park                                          N

Thunder Mountain                           American N

Trenance Quay                                  N 2mm

Hawkins Tower Narrow Gauge       009 narrow Gauge

TRADE STANDS

Bure Valley Model Shop

Joe Lock Model Railways

Bob Pearman Books

Train Terrain

David Rowlands

OTHERS Stands

Advent Modellers

Malcolm Cooper

D.C.C. Demonstration and advice

I'm sorry to hear of various people losses Human or Furry.  My brother in law is now into his 9th month after a six months to live diagnosis so sadly we are waiting.

I  must admit the software troubles seem to have cut the number of posts I make... This lot will be copied to my personal diary to make it a bit more complete..

I buy a lot of my railway stuff secondhand but other than a few key items there is not a lot to get now, But there is a lot of conversion work to be done to wheels / couplings / weathering..

We have acquired a new furry friend, a 6 year old Border Collie. Since we lost the supervisor, AKA the cat, to a road accident last year SWMBO has insisted I rebuild the gateway first, which has been an opening in the fence for some years.  I've installed a six foot high 10ft wide gate way and I am now building two 15ft long six foot high walls to join the new gate recessed from the road to the old fence line.  Border Collies are nothing if not athletic, he leapt the temporary 4ft fence in one bound...   This has diverted my attention from viaduct building for the garden railway which has absolutely nothing done on it for ages.

At the MRC the inherited N gauge layout I received earlier on this year is starting to show some progress, two of the six boards (3ft by 2ft) have now got their folding  scenery extension on the front and now got the back scene / fiddle yard hiding boards on. At the moment they are looking like a wedding cake all In white. Once I  have finished the viaduct and a little more of the scenery in white, then it'll be time to make the scenery a little more Hebridean, lots of browns, greens and grey lumps of rock..

Time to go,  I Have to pretend to do some work, before heading off to get more breeze blocks and soft sand for the building works...

I hope you all have a better year ahead,

The Q

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

• 1 month later...

Well still nothing doing on the garden railway or its in shed component, the new gateway and walls are  complete except for painting, there is a bin cupboard built into the wall one side, and a post box with parcels cupboard beneath the other side. Hopefully that will stop the sorry you're not in cards...

Meanwhile the inherited railway, has been proceeding well, you can see it at  http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38780.msg480978#msg480978

Ben the Border Collie accompanies me to the MRC each Friday, so when we go in, I get ignored and it's hello Ben, as he visits everyone for a pat on the head. He's become very much calmer and is turning out to be a very nice dog...

I've now reached the age when I've got the old gits card from B+Q, and during this year my strength seems to be seriously deminishing. My problems are little compared to many on this site, but I am now finding lifting and placing concrete aerated blocks hard work, my body seems to be going down hill rapidly. I'd better get the railway walls / viaducts  built soon before it goes beyond my strength. The plans for the layout have not changed, it's just taking vastly more time than I'd like. 

So as I lie here in my pit, with pain from my left elbow and lower back from mixing concrete yesterday, I'll toast you all with a glass of Highland Park, and hope you all have a happy and healthy 2018.

Nollaig Chridheil ( merry Christmas in Scottish Gaelic)

Merry Christmas The Q, my side of the world Christmas is coming to an end and just beginning in the UK , are you having a white Christmas,lucky you, one day I will touch snow , my wife and me are on holidays up the north coast QLD in Caloundra, nature just put on a light show, storm going through, need it to cool down hot Christmas in record , beat 2001 32 here, where we live in Ipswich 37 degrees same tomorrow.

All you can do is plod along, I being at it for 3 and a half years , next May be the big month running the first train around my layout, all goes well, depends on my health.

Merry Christmas Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

We didn't get a white Christmas in fact it was quite warm, 11C,

We are possibly getting snow later today, on the back edge of the Strom that's going over, it's blowing 60 mph, With horizontal rain and hail at the moment.

Time to wind up the fire a bit..

• 2 months later...

yesterday on the local radio during the "you tell us what to play" hour the first requested record was.... Driving home for Christmas...

This is what it's like out there,  we've got 50mph winds...

The main road in Filby is blocked by snow. Picture. Tommy Howell

PS, in 2 and a half hours i've got 25 miles to drive home good job I'm in the landrover...

Edited by TheQ

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon All, not too much has been going on , after we had dug ourselves out.

Tomorrow is the first of this years Local ish shows. My club Broadland Model railway club will be exhibiting..

Picture.

I have realised I've not put anything up about the Tiree layout I inherited about a year ago. So once Ive sorted myself out. I'll annoy you lot by creating an indoor layout thread.

Broadland Model railway club
2018 Exhibition
The 2018 model railway exhibition sponsored by the Bure Valley Railway will be held again in the Jubilee Centre, Aylsham, NR11 6JG on Saturday 6th October. There will be models of different gauges and sizes that range from N gauge to 00 gauge with model steam and diesel traction as the theme.  Exhibitors usually come from the surrounding counties of East Anglia but we try and have layouts from further afield to add variety.

The exhibition owes much of its success to the catering support given by the volunteer ladies of Aylsham.   They do a magnificent job providing refreshments for the visitors and lunches for the exhibitors, traders & our volunteer helpers.

Due to building alterations at the Jubilee Centre the available exhibition space is reduced slightly.  However, we will be using the Bure Valley Railway station as a location for our railway groups and clubs along with some modelling.  This is still being developed so keep checking to see what is going where!  The good news is that we have secured the use of a vintage Routemaster bus to link the two sites together and this will be free to ticket holders.

The BMRC will offer a “Loco Doctor” service again this year as this was a success in 2017 with some generous comments.  In addition the DCC ‘doctor’ will be there giving good advice to potential DCC modellers either starting from new or thinking about conversion.  Lots of exciting things can be done these days from loco sounds to automatic train control.

Layouts at the Jubilee Centre

New Walmington Pier

Longstone

Traders at the Jubilee Centre

Bob Pearman Books

Joe Lock Models

Train Terrain

Train Tech

Club assistance at the BVR Station

Loco Doctor

DCC Advice

Correct as at 13 March 2018

Details of further layouts and traders to be updated, when they become available.

• 3 weeks later...

Since there has been little going on in the garden, it's  been too wet out there.. This tread is turning into a bit of a railway show thread, to which, I can recommend this show which I enjoy.

just two miles from where I'm sitting at the moment..

#Norwich Railway Heritage and Model Society
  - Norwich Model Railway Exhibition

• Sat 7th April 2018

• Hellesdon High School, Middletons Lane, Norwich, Norfolk NR6 5SB

OPENING TIMES:  10.00am to 4.30pm
    ADMISSION:  Adults £5.00       free parking on the school grounds.
    16 Layouts, including our 10 road, multi gauge, test track. and 14 Traders confirmed together with 2 demonstrations and 4 other societies.

List of Traders Attending :   List of Layouts Attending :
    Great Eastern Models
    Squires Tools
    Bure Valley Sales
    Caister Loco
    Terry Durrant
    Bob Pearman Books
    Railway Photoman
    Great Eastern Transport Films
    Train Tech
    David Rowland Art
    Layouts For You
    Model Scenery Supplies
    Joe Lock
      Stodden Hundred 0
    Triang Railways 00
    Weihnachtsstadt H0
    Torcastle Viaduct N
    Test Track Multi Gauge
    La Garita Hills Railway
    Thomas & Friends Various 00
    Gestup St Anne 00/ng
    Oakly Green 00
    Clone Line 00
    Wadham Yard 0
    Shipmeadow OO9
    Ebridge Mill 00
    Moorlocks Heath 0
    North Norfolk Model Engineers
    Fen Street 0
    List of Demonstrations :   List of Other Displays :
    Advent Modellers
    Norfolk Mardlers
      Friends of Bure Valley Society
    Norfolk Railway Society
    M & GN JNT Rly Society
    Historical Model Railway Society
    Norfolk Mardlers

• 3 weeks later...

Well the above show was a good one, I bought some stuff for my in herited N gauge railway, Tiree, namely second hand kit built loco, a coach and several wagons and a book on the Highland railway. Oh and a bacon butty.....  or two...

The widow of the previous owner of the N gauge railway is about to down size and move house, hence I have been handed piles of Points and other bits of N gauge railway. She is coming across them clearing the old house and also odd bits of horticultural equipment like A Dydle from the triple garage.

A Dydle? it's a Norfolk tool for dredging dykes by hand, in this case its a 10ft long wooden pole on which is a scoup which faces back towards the user so you drag the mud to you, out of the dyke.

My plans to go to other shows in May are unlikely now, due to sailing commitments.

Work is about to restart in the Garden railway area, However not on the garden railway, I have to build some raised beds for Yacon plants, each will have a bed of 3 ft square, soil to fill them will however be dug from the foundation trenches for the railway Viaduct.

A viaduct it will be, during the gale prior to the Beast from the East, 20ft of garden wall was blown down. Therefore, a thin wall  is now, not in my plans, but a less wind resisting viaduct is. For strength purposes each pillar will be two or three foundation blocks of 215mm X 300mm X 440mm on end.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning TheQ,

I know you are a sailing buff so here is a little photo or two for you. We were one end of the start line for the Nice Ultimed yacht race from Nice around Sardinia and Corsica back to Nice. Your stories of the regatta mishaps made me smile. Only this time the various dings among the spectators was due to no wind at all.

cheers

mark

Ultimed the world 4.jpg

Ultimed the world.jpg

Ultimed the world 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All,

Thanks for the Pictures of the "drifting", a condition often encountered on the Norfolk Broads. Not I hope not too much, on Jun 2/3rd As this is the Big race of the year. The third toughest mass participation competion event in the UK, and one of the longest inland sailing races in the world. Those cats are wider than some of the rivers the competitors  sail in....

The 3 Rivers Race, which  is almost upon us, entries have closed and the competitors should get their entry packs in the next few days.

First start at Horning Sailing club 11:00 2nd June 2018, about 10 boats in a start at 5 minute intervals last startaround 12:30, roughly 100 boats expected to start.

You have 24 hours to complete 54 miles of sailing under 3 bridges twice, meaning you have  take the mast down 4 times, boats from 14 foot to 45ft. (maps on the below websites)

The Record is around 8 hours, the worst year only about a dozen boats finished. My record, about ten hours, and of those races completed, the slowest 23 hours 57 minutes 7 seconds..

There are about a dozen guardships around the Course complete with a rescue boat each, first aid trained personnel, and radio comunication back to base. As each boat goes past a guardship they have to call out their RACE number and the next leg they are going to ( doesn't apply to my boat as we are at one end of the course..)

Yours truly, is based on Hickling Broad at their sailing club on a guardship,  so a long night is expected.

The 3 Rivers Race has finally it's own official website http://3rr.uk/, and it's official Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/306353193114566/

There is a fans Website http://www.threeriversrace.org.uk/index.php5?title=Main_Page and it's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/187800327911928/

Webcams and other information

Horning Sailing club https://horning-sailing.club/webcams.php (Note they are in the process of being reset  for the race and a bit intermittant at the moment)

Edited by TheQ

Oh we are up to 13 confirmed layouts for Broadland Model railway clubs annual show in October, just a couple more to confirm, there is another trader and more demo's organised as well. For full details of it,

see,

http://s643945335.websitehome.co.uk/annual-exhibition/

Meanwhile No progress  on the garden railway, the alleyway between the Model railway shed and the Mobile home has now been wired up electrically, but I am awaiting parts to replumb the mobile home water incomer /  garden water supplies.

A decision has been made not to hold a club open day  /exhibition this year. We have to have the open day at the local town hall, as the club house is unsuitable / too far in the wilds for the public to attend. So it's more a club layout exhibition, and we have nothing new ready for this year.

This slightly works in my favour as I like going to the Southwold show, this is on the end of our regatta week, to follow that with being out at our club exhibition the following weekend would not go down well with SWMBO.

Edited by TheQ