Ludgershall change for Tidworth

TheQ

On she's not really interested in the railway, but the shed is also her art studio at one end in the open circle where the track goes back the other way. So she wants it to look nice!!

Did a bit more work today on the shed just a few more ceiling tiles, this was after sailing was cancelled due to no wind.

I do have a motorboat!!

Or to be more precise a without motor boat,

It's being re-engined after 46years bumbling round the broads its diesel engine is knackered, so its going diesel electric.

Electric motor, big stack of batteries, and generator for when I can't get to an electric post to recharge.

in winter I can just go over a flick a switch and motor away, no " de winterizing" to do.

It's used as a support boat for sailing, towing boats, and for sleeping on during multi day events.

I bought it in an extremely tired condition and have very slowly been doing her up.

On and we had a company curry night just over a week ago, it didn't help!!.

Edited by Guest

I'd like more toys, but the Trouble with buying old secondhand toys is they need a lot of maintenance, work and I've run out of spare time!! which is why the building of this railway has taken so long to get started.

Well this weekends work on the railway civil engineering was delayed by working on the house. Since we've got scaffolding up to replace the chimneys I took advantage to clean out the guttering of the house it was lightly raining at the time but I don't know how long the scaffolding will be there.

I am unimpressed, I used proper exterior sealant, I checked the half used tube again today, for the joint between the canopy over the front of the shed yet a week from sealing up the joint the rain was washing out the sealant which was dissolving.!I now need to wait for a dry day and to get some new sealant.

So I went inside and and carried on glueing up ceiling tiles, I had just finished and was sitting in an old armchair looking out watching the rain when a squall ran through it really poured down washing out more sealant. While bending the trees. After that the rain cleared and the sun came out. So I finished my pint and went back to the house. Definately not a day for garden civil engineering.

The first job this Friday was sealing the canopy roof shed joint again, then I coated the canopy top with bitumen paint. After that it was a bucket of water and detergent to clean off all the previous failed sealant that had run down the door and walls.

I'd just done that when I went off to the chimneys.

When I came back I sat on the floor back to the fan heater in attempt to dry out. Once that was done a cup of coffee was required before carrying on , the "curved" ceiling I all but completed , more work was done on the fridge housing to ready it for the railway to pass over. The electricity box was completed as well. A hatch was built for the ceiling which SWMBO will paint during the week if her hands are up to it.

Next week I've got another hatch to do, a last bit of ceiling in the third of the shed and finishing SWMBOs art light box . hopefully the week after I'll be sanding the floor before varnishing.

Due to the lack of sailing an extra 4 hours were spent on the shed, mostly working on the ceiling still. Probably another full Day to complete that section. Once that's done, the it's the floor and after that weather permitting its back to working outside for a bit clearing the garden across to where the railway wall will be.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a frosty day on Friday so after visiting the Vampire for a blood test I spent the day working on the ceiling of the railway shed as I did on Saturday morning. The ceiling for that part of the shed is now finished so I started sending the floor which is recovered yellow pine boards from a 150 year old warehouse...

This was continued on Sunday as sailing was cancelled, the wind is really rattling around now as the storm is passing through.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this weekend was spent sanding the floor other than the problems reported in my personal journal, my shoulders ache from holding either a powerful belt sander or orbital sander. The floor is now ready for cleaning before varnishing.

Running on from Micks dismantled layout thread, I thought I'd expand on the boards design for the indoor part of my railway.

The building of the shed has taken some years and given me some time to research what I'll do.

Sections of the layout need to be able to be removed.

They must fit in the car or landrover if I wish to take it down to the model railway club.

They must be light weight, It's 100 yards from the shed to the house to work in the warm in the winter and we are all getting older!!

All controls and electrics must come to the operators side of the layout, I've been spending too much time under someone else's layout repairing things.

Because of the above, I spent a large amount of time researching baseboards and have decided to build them of 2 inch thick Extruded foam panels with plywood edging as a base but with scenery built up on more of the foam ( a rough calculation means up to 200mm thick of foam total on the high operators side of the layout.).

The maximum size will be 4 by 2 feet but there will be some odd shapes but they will not Exceed that size.

Yes the track will come out of the shed at 3 ft to 4 ft above ground level onto a wall / viaduct / bridges, travel around 40 - 60ft to a loop which will turn the track round to return on the same wall, inside the loop will be an external station ( Weyhill, http://www.swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/ds25.jpg ) this station will be removable to the shed to protect it from the elements. ( The track on the walls will have upside down guttering to protect it when out of use)

The walls and viaducts are to be built using Micks thermalite block carving techniques.

There will be multiple boards inside the Shed, Collingbourne station ( http://www.swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/ds23.jpg )will be on 4 boards, and is planned as a removable exhibition layout. Ludgershall station ( http://www.swindonsotherrailway.co.uk/ds24.jpg ) is to big for exhibition, so though each board is removable to be worked on, it will live in the shed.

Due to pressure from SWMBO, the shed is having the majority of the work done on it first, to remove my railway stuff from where it is stacked up in the house!! and the end of the shed that is nearing completion is also her Art studio !!!

Once this section of the shed is complete (estimate, 4 more days working on it), weather permitting, work will proceed on some paths which will take me to the first bridge, then the wall from the shed to the bridge will be built, enclosing an area of the garden to be leveled and reasonably completed, before the connecting bridge and viaduct will be built up to the loop.

Further extensions to the garden railway, are hoped for, once these current plans are completed, and further planning permission granted from SWMBO.

this station will be removable to the shed to protect it from the elements. ( The track on the walls will have upside down guttering to protect it when out of use)

I really want to make a removable station, as I want to do my modeling indoors and also keep it protected from the worst of the weather.

upside down drain pipes are a good idea. My layout has cut to fit pool liner material to keep the worst of the rain out, but it also keep sunlight away which can cause a lot of damage where I live.

• 4 months later...

Bad news, I nearly ran into someone who pulled out in front of my landrover 110.

Braking was difficult due to a full load floor to ceiling front to back.

Good news, the 110 was full of thermalite foundation blocks for the the railway wall / viaduct!!!

Today a hot and sunny Sunday, with no wind to start with, I was very glad of the sea breeze when it started.

I used 14 foundation block as a temporary wall to hold back the soil on the raised patio area. Then it was across to the jungle, cutting back 3 ft of nettles, Alexander, and the occasional bramble. I then started digging holes for the foundation blocks, just under a wheel barrow load of soil per block. Cutting tree roots as I went along, The Barrow was then pushed the 30 ft to the raised patio and unloaded. Six blocks were laid, the trench I've dug for eight so far.

After that I was knackered, time for a pint, a half hour snooze in the railway shed armchair, then retire to the house for a long soak in the bath.