Ribblehead Station

mick

On Friday 24th July we visited the Hoffman Kiln at Langcliffe near Settle and driving round afterwards we stopped off at Ribblehead station. It's the first time I can remember setting foot on the platform at Ribblehead station and I wasn't even aware that the two platforms were staggered rather than being opposite each other. Here's just a few photos taken at the time.

83711b018ab53203515bcceeec1e0690.jpg

This is the view from the beginning of the Leeds platform with the platform to Carlisle a short distance down the line. There's a groundframe on the right giving access to a siding running behind the Carlisle platform.

105dd4c521377eeec33d567f28593c50.jpg

Accessed by a foot crossing, this is a view of the platform for trains to Carlisle with its small waiting shelter.

b25291243cf60eae3a9d7266d649100d.jpg

And from the foot crossing, this is the view looking back up towards the main station area.

0e7c21a246e5b60b8798a1914709143e.jpg

From the end of the main platform you can just glimpse the tops of the arches of Ribblehead viaduct. The edge of the building on the right forms part of the old Station Master's House which has been converted into holiday accommodation. If you are a member/supporter of Railcam.uk then this is the building which hosts the camera giving you the view of Ribblehead viaduct.

ebb17040c3690be136b58600af8a0c03.jpg

I wasn't aware of this at the time but the above photo, which I initially assumed showed a security camera alongside the blue plaque, is actually a new Railcam.uk live camera view of Ribblehead station platform. It had gone live just a couple of hours before the photo was taken.

3a6dede8eec29e0ca70d6e2bf9dae5f1.jpg

The station wall clock and two more plaques

09a400bf3dd35f7675eeb123ae3294fc.jpg

An finally a wall lamp on the corner of the station building

The platforms used to be opposite each other but the down platform was demolished some years ago to make way for a rail connection into the nearby quarry. The down platform has now been rebuilt in its present position.