Other hobby interest

aussietmrail

Here is some pics I like to share of my other hobby< I have talked about on my other post, finding this thread is the best one to put them in

I plan to I use woodturning also in the train as well, like turning the modern tanker shells and the modern ones don't have a frame like the old ones

The top pic is where I got the design of my pedestal and since mine is longer I had to ad in an other shape, looks good

Second pic is of the wood blanks, the pic with the lathe, goes to show how much timber is wasted, the other two pics are of the final shape of the pedestal the timber is origin pine and round pieces is camphor laurel.

Haven't done any turning for 6 months, got to keep up my skills, will keep everyone posted in the progress of the coffee table, this is my third table, could be worth a lot, once I finish all the turning IO have to put the pedestal; back in the chuck as there is some sand paper scratches.

Back to the layout after the coffee table is finished.

Enjoy, Tony from down under :roll::P

001 a.jpg

002 a.jpg

003 a.jpg

Coffee table timber blanks a.jpg

Jessica%20McClintock%20Home%20-%20The%20Boutique%20Collection_217-918W-b4.jpg

I'm liking that. Never got round to buying a lathe, but I have had a go a few times on a pole lathe. That's a treadle operated thing where you can only cut on the downnstroke. Started to make one years ago, but got divorced instead. :roll::lol:

HI Roddy, many thanks, woodturning is a hobby I have always wanted to do started up in two clubs, ended up quitting both, best doing woodturning a home, the second club did teach me much ask questions, sorry don't know. Pity because I would like to belong to a club so I can learn to sharpen chisels, actually learn more looking at you tube on the subject, other clubs are ion Brisbane, would have give up my train club, don't think so going there today, hour drive leaving home 8;45am, long day out but good fun.

Yeah, those pole lathes are awesome, got a couple of video clips on how a bloke made one and showing how it` worked, that is all they had in the many evil times, Chinese would of had the pole lathe first.

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/history2/history-turning2.html

Here s the latest pic of the pedestal coffee table base turned the second piece I ran out of time will finish turning next weekend and start on the table top.

The timber is Camphor laurel, has a very strong fumes when turning, I had to end up wearing a mask and will do so every time I do turning, was shocked when I blew my nose, the amount of saw dust that came out.

Will e a heavy coffee table when finished, taking my time.

Tony from down under :roll::roll:

IMG_1161 a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have finely finished turning the pedestal coffee table now the job gluing in the pedestal to the base and the gluing the top to the pedestal, before that happens I have to get some 1.5 balsa to pack the base hole where the pedestal goes made it to lose, the table fits perfect. The thin balsa bends quite well width wise, off to the hobby shop tomorrow.

Next project is the terminus station building, now I have the book which has he plans of Sydney central station, mine will be a cut down version, modelled on the Walther's Union stating kit, which didn't have a clock tower. The kit is too expensive to modify, next best thing is scratch my own, Sydney has two levels with a tram stop what I want to model as well, I will keep this post going with other woodturning projects.

Tony from cold down under, 1 degree this morning

IMG_1185 a.jpg

IMG_1186 a.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've got a small wood lathe, which was bought to make stair spindles for my house to replace some broken ones. I also have made odd parts for sailing boats but nothing as impressive as your work.

My own other hobbies are.

Sailing small keelboats, ( a keel boat is a sailing boat with a lump of lead hanging underneath to keep it upright but no cabin).

Building and repairing the above.

My landrover 110.

Using my 27ft motorboat on the Norfolk broads, unfortunately it was bought in a very tired state( the only way to afford it) and is still needing a massive amount of work. A previous owner thought chipboard would be good on a boat!!!

Diy, very handy in this forum...