London Underground S Stock

mick

Manufactured by Bachmann exclusively for the London Transport Museum, I wondered what kind of reception this London Underground S Stock gets from others on our forum?

A product announcement on the Bachmann website on the 7th May 2015 stated "...we will soon be revealing our latest Branchline model to the world...." which had me wondering what on earth it could be but much like the Bachamnn 25th Anniversary announcement, I was left just a bit surprised and a little disappointed when details were finally published.

Is it just me or are these Product Announcements becoming something of a triviality? In a way, after the hype, I was left feeling a bit embarrassed for Bachmann. In fact, other than the recent NRM Atlantic models, it seems a long time since we saw anything new from the Bachmann stable.

Details of the S Stock London Underground models can be viewed on the London Transport Museum web shop. They are available to pre-order at £280 for a four car motorised set or at £439 with an additional 4 intermediate carriages to form an S8 8 car set. Intermediate cars are also available separately at £39.99 each.

Mick

I will take my hat off to Bachmann for trying something completely different and think it will go down well with those who might like to model some surface part of LUL, alongside their BR / National Railway models. Do you think when Rapido announced something as off the wall as the APT-E model last year, that the people at Bachmann really thought outside of the box, when looking for a new model to launch? (Although, the APT-P might have done it, it would, possibly have been a bit copycat).

However, I am still feeling a bit frustrated by Bachmann - how about putting a bit more energy into producing some of the re-liveried models that we have been promised? 47001 in banger blue, for one and there are still plenty of new announcements from last year that are still a long way off being released - Mk2F anyone???.

I certainly think this announcement was a bit a special - more so than for the anniversay models, which, I can imagine for some, were a bit of a let down.

I'll be honest Iain, I'm not that familiar with the underground stock, which is probably the reason I was disappointed at the news. I take my hat off to London Transport Museum for this venture as I would imagine they're taking the biggest risk but in my personal view it has limited appeal at a time when there are so many alternative offerings for us 'collectors'. I don't normally turn anything new down, most of what I purchase I never actually saw running, but this one really isn't for me.

The S Stock is a great train. I'm glad that a manufacturer has bitten the bullet and is going to produce a RTR underground train. I think that they will sell well and that they will inspire a fair few London layouts.