WoodSide garden railway

Mart

After moving homes again! i start my 2nd garden railway the first one was "Bramble Line".

Started planing this around nov 2014 and when the weather gave me chance i started on it in April 2015.

I have named this one "WoodSide" the plan is 3 lines passing through a shed "3 circuits".

i have been making a video diary on it but like anything you plan theres allways room for change as you go along.

The Station area and the two suspension bridges will have a drop down cover, What you see in the video is a temporary,

It's somewere to work when its windy and wet.

can't have my tea getting cold ..

As for power supply i have this running to the shed from the house

used the caravan hookup system, fitted the socket to the outside of the house then run along fencing to shed..

as for the lights on the layout they run from 12 volt - 3 volt these are power feed via on/off operation they get there power from

a old PSU from a computer as they give you the 12 volt 3.3 volt 5 volt (easy option)

As for the train controller its HORNBY SELECT DCC with a power unit 15v thats the larger one to the one you get with it.

running around 5 dcc locos and 3 dc locos at the same time, but as you might know 00 for dc and all controled @ the same time so spacing them you must get it right lol

thank god they put that big red button there :D

Removed the old awning as it was getting a bit wind damaged and started to leak in rain, so replaced it with a 12ft lift up cover.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE

W-H-R Woodside Garden Railway was vandalized by fools fence hoping the back gardens smashed station area and the 2 suspension bridges

i was not a happy bunny @ all

So i ripped it all down and rebuilt it over the other side of the garden

Blooming heck.... you don't mess about do you? It's taken me more than 3 years to get a single circuit part-way round my garden and it seems you've built three layouts this year!

Sorry to hear about the fence hoppers and the damage they caused. That's something I dread too - would hate something to come over the boundary fence and into contact with the viaduct.

Just been watching your latest video's and everything looks great again with plenty of trains in action. Looks like a lot of fun. Keep the video's coming and some photos for Griff....!

Hi mart. I'm still a newbie to garden railwaying but my layout is coming along, ableit slower than I'd like! Really sorry to hear about your layout getting damaged mate! Little shits want hanging!!! I'm sure that like the proverbial phoenix it will rise again bigger and better! Good luck for the future with it matey. Mark

Loved the video but sorry to hear about the "trespassers on the line". Fortunately mine tend to be of the four legged kind, a fat cat (not mine) nicknamed Garfield likes to sleep on my station in the shed if the door is open for a few seconds and a fox that thinks it's tunneling for crossrail leaving large holes everywhere and the spoils over my track.

Back to the video, is that plastic piping your using to support the track base? I recycled/rescued a load out of a skip recently with the same idea but in the end didn't need it. Have you buried it in the ground or is it self supporting? Love to see different methods of building being tried.

to: mick

i have a lot of time to waste m8 lol

and looks like money 2 lol

to: Baimor

big thx m8 life here to try use and its doing a good job lol

you will have to get some videos or pics of yours uploaded

to: jimbob

track base surpports are mainly wood but the white ones are metal poles from my old 20ftx10ft gazebo that was taken for a ride down the street last year bloody wind..

so used what i could recycled/rescued is allways the wtg,

plastic pipe i tried but found due to some areas in the garden being a hot spot in the summer they seem to bend

i was thing of getting square or oblong plastic piping then filling them with concrete mix,

Animals love them little sh++s

• 2 weeks later...

Well its that time of the year again cold damp sh"t oops sorry thats normal for uk lol

so winter work started indoors fixing and servicing of locos/rolling stock, serviced 18 locos still more to sort out..

Also lots of Telegraph Poles to paint plus other parts to sort out. When we get a warm day i think ill have ago @ the stations outside

need wiring the lights etc.

lots of reading to catch up on, and dvds to watch, so it should keep me going for a bit

and popup to NYMR for a day out.

Hi Mart, have to agree Baimor pure awesome with you video clip and pics, what system are you running to have that many trains running at once.

Would think UK would have the power shortage sorted out by now with latest technology out there today, where I live down under we had power issues in the 70's with union strikes on top of it, its only the bad storms now and were are in the storm season, being lucky so far.

How about you send some of that cool weather my way, we have had some hot days in mid 30's not summer yet January Funerary being the hottest months, in the high 40's, no work out side, will slow me down, will aim for April when I joined the forum two years back. Not pushing it with Mick taking three years to get where he is, my layout is a modular set up and even into the garden is as well, why it is taking longer to build

Keep the good work up, time to move inside on those kit projects

Tony from down under :roll::roll:

I take your warmer weather any day

system @ this time is DC but all running from 2 elite controllers

but need to install new dcc chips in locos then back to the dcc system controller

the lights on the system are 12volt stations and extras they get there power from 2 x 12v power packs via switches

in time it will be all setup to use the eLink RailMaster which is stored away @ this time

dcc elite set code 00 runs for none dcc locos so the controllers @ this time 1 runs 3 lines and the other runs 2

but you control all at the same speed and direction, that's why I need to get back on the dcc chips again,

At this time the controllers are both using the bigger power pack

and the layout is not running a bus line @ this time but will need one soon

hummm thinking 5 lines 2 controllers that's a odd number wounder if I can get a 6th one in

thx guys for your kind words

system @ this time is DC but all running from 2 elite controllers

but need to install new dcc chips in locos then back to the dcc system controller

the lights on the system are 12volt stations and extras they get there power from 2 x 12v power packs via switches

in time it will be all setup to use the eLink RailMaster which is stored away @ this time

Hi Mart, the spring weather over here is quite pleasant at the moment, mid 20's but cloudy with rain forecasted today stormy season as well, big bad of storms come in yesterday we missed one but copped the other and good rain out of it 15mm over night.

My train club orders in DCC decoders a batch at a time in at a cut cost, I am buying two for my Thalys TGV set both locos are powered, 10 piece set, awesome to see running on the club layout and every time I to the club committee meeting each month will buy more, great way to go. The train club has DCC Wi-Fi set up, I have one loco with DCC use my iPhone as a controller, the clubs brand is NCE I will the same next year.

I still plan to wire my layout as DC and have a switch on every block to switch over to DCC.

Those video clips are awesome, did you have someone looking after the controlling of the trains while you took the video, I have only tired two locos on my layout and they kept me on my toes, was running them in different directions on single track with passing loops.

Keep the good work up, would love to see what you have set up in the garden shed.

Tony from down under

no touch wood, luck been on my side.

I had them all running with out a glitch for 4 hours none stop till a leaf decided to lay on the track. that's the video from above

But the fun run video it was set up on a tripod u can see me in the shed changing locos etc.

as for the shed its just a pass through to the return loops,

Was thinking of adding a 2nd shed to use as siding etc

still thinking of a 6th line making it a colliery line

but the 2nd shed and 6th line is just on paper not in the bank. YET..

As for the dcc side I will go that way in time using the elink and run via android or mini laptop

here is the inside of the shed still lots to do and sort

all system is controlled from here but I do have the e-link RailMaster but not yet setup

the shed is only a pass through and a storage area.

I Have 2 small port windows looking down the main layout and one lookin out the back at the return loops.

Still need to run the lan cable from house to the shed, or I get a electrician to wire me a feed from the main fuse board

then I could internet link direct into house fuse box using it as a router.

if anyone is thinking WTF yes it can be done as I have 5 pc's in my home running this way.

all you need it the main home router lan to house electrics using a TP-Link powerline set up my 160mb broadband speed http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3705711287

using the TP-Links

in other rooms they get around 40 to 60 mbs

well here's the shed if you need any info on the above feel free to ask

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Now that's a model railway in the garden - and I'm struggling to complete my single track! Good to see the workings inside the shed too. The e-Link system sounds appealing so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it. If ever I get round to my 'layout in the attic' then it's something I was considering for up there.

I'd certainly go for a colliery line if you intend adding another; there's nothing to beat a decent rake of coal wagons and there are some great little colliery type shunting loco's available now.

Regarding the 'powerline', I use the same thing but with Devolo adaptors and yes, it works fine down in the garden sheds.

Hi Mart wow you are doing well to get 160 MB's broadband speed , we are getting 100mb broadband but had to pay to get the higher speeds, we now have NBN in our area I would love to switch over, my son wants to hang onto HFC till we have to in 12months time when the HFC is shut down.

A joke the free NBN has 25MB a second speed, as usual you have to pay $30 to get the full 100 MBs a second speed

I am very much interested in the TP system by Hornby, is it compatible with other systems, I have chosen NCE DCC, main reason is that is what my club is using, would really have to con my wife on this item, going to cost a lot.

Love your staging yard, what my layout is missing figuring where to put one, a possible my garden shed and have a vertical yard with a draw slider set up, that would be a big job, I have seen them on other layouts.

You sure like those 55class Detic locos, I did have one and sold it, should of kept it, was a good loco, found some good pics for ideas will post them on my posts.

Tony from down under.