Hi from Scotland

garethep

Hi Guys,

Having recently moved from a flat to a house I am keen to fulfil an ambition to build a railway in the garden......having spent a good chunk of last weekend reading this forum I am beginning to think a crazy idea of running nice long mainline trains is realistic without the crippling expense of o gauge or gauge 1. As most of the naysayers I have spoken to suggest wiring as the most significant issue and because I'm a bit of an electronics geek, the plan will be to utilise radio control in some way.

Planning so far has involved pacing the garden and scratching my head but I'm slowly coming up with an idea and will post in the planning section with some photos etc later

looking forward to getting involved and if I can build something even half as good as some of the stuff on here I'll be very pleased!

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth

Pleased to see you finally made it onto the forum - welcome! That's the hard bit over so the rest should be plain sailing from here on in.

I don't really see wiring as being a significant issue, in fact it's probably made easier outdoors than it might be for an indoor layout because outdoors our layouts tend to be of simpler design. It can be as simple as just two wires to the track and that method could prove 100% reliable if you were to ensure all rail joins were bonded in one or other way. Wiring can also be as involved as you want.

Planning is a good place to begin so I look forward to seeing what ideas you come up with and what space you have available to you.

Hi Gareth and a warm welcome...well at least from the Canary Islands!

We've all been at the planning stage and I think it's half the fun.

Join us all,warped woodwork,shifting earth,buckled track, you'll no doubt confront it all.

I've lost track (!) of all the parts of the railway that I've demolished and rebuilt due to Mother Nature as well as pure vandalism from the cat.

But there is nothing better when the weather's right than sitting back with a cool beer and watching a couple of trains plodding round your handiwork.

My only advice is don't bite off more than you can chew. Some of the grander ideas on this format seem to bite the dust probably due to the sheer enormity of the original idea. Bit by bit. Just get a train running and then add.

Mind you, if you sift through some of my pages on here you'll find that a lot of my ideas never really came off but I love it when friends come visiting especially with the coy words of "can I have a go?"

Keep us up to date and don't forget the photos,

Rossi (railway in the sun)

Rossi,

Today was a good day to be in the canary islands (are there bad ones?)

Definately take the point about simplicity........This isn't going to be a complicated railway. I'm glad of the records of ideas good and bad on here but I have no doubt there will be many challenges involved in doing this.....aAll part of the fun!