Hornby Updated 21t Hopper Wagons

mick

Being an avid hoarder of any type of coal wagons I was keen to discover how Hornby's new 21t hopper wagons compared to the existing models I already had in my collection. So, for this brief photographic comparison I am featuring images of the earlier Hornby R6124 BR 21t Hopper Wagon alongside the newly released Hornby R6676 BR 21t Hopper Wagon.

Firstly a couple of photos showing the boxes which also tells us that the new version has increased in price by roughly 120%. Is it worth it.....? Well, the box is an improvement on the older style plastic tray so that's a good start.

r6124-01.jpg

r6676-01.jpg

This corner view illustrates some of the detail differences and improvements that Hornby have carried out. There's still a moulded handrail on the wagon side, which on the new wagon is lower down than before, but the upper end handrail is now a separate fitting and there's also an additional vertical handrail, again a separate fitting. The top of the wagon chassis where the end body stanchions rest is also much better detailed than on the older model. Gone is that thick grey plastic moulding to be replaced with a much thinner black section with rivet detail. The new version also features a corner footstep and the smaller type tension lock coupling.

r6124-02.jpg

r6676-02.jpg

This sideways view shows the changes to the handbrake lever, which is now much extended in comparison to that on the earlier model.

r6124-03.jpg

r6676-03.jpg

Apart from the colours, the insides of the hoppers are very similar with the newer model appearing to have a finer rim around the top edge.

r6124-05.jpg

r6676-05.jpg

The underframes have clearly seen some remodelling.

r6124-06.jpg

r6676-06.jpg

In this end view the newer model looks altogether finer and much better for the smaller tension lock coupler, although personally I may still be tempted to go down the 3-link route to match my mineral wagon set.

r6124-07.jpg

r6676-07.jpg

The cost of model railway items from all manufacturers has increased across the board recently so I wouldn't wish to start making comments about the cost of individual items. Suffice to say that a realistic rake of any type of wagon is going to cost a small fortune these days. I was lucky enough to get hold of many of my wagons a few years ago when prices were much more reasonable and so it's nice to be able to add a few different types just for that bit of variety and without breaking the bank too much. I'm sure that with a bit of subtle weathering both these wagons will fit in nicely with my loaded coal train but the newer version certainly gets my vote when it comes down to overall appearance.