Provencal Garden Railway

pppp

pppp said:

...Thank you to the member of this forum to proving that oo can go outdoors, and inspiring me to build a small outdoor garden layout.

....and thank YOU for publishing details of your garden layout so that others can enjoy and be inspired.

Yes, winter's a time for reflection, maintenance and planning for the following year and there's no better place for that than in the warmth indoors. Let's hope next year gives us all ample opportunity to run some trains. Have a great winter.

• 2 months later...

cNcqoor.jpg?1' alt='URL>'>

Well no point putting the garden work off till spring if the weathers good now.

A new deck and bridge has gone down, with a safer step and post for my dad to use to get in and out. Its just wood from shipping pallets.

I cut the track and started work on the new points, the hard bit is connecting the points to the control table. This might take a while.

http://imgur.com/a/vBRGK - 5 photos

next update is when I get those points working..... don't hold your breath.

pppp said:

next update is when I get those points working..... don't hold your breath.

90% done on the points.

I would like to clean up the table with a new top, paint the levers and make a junction diagram. I have no idea what I am doing here, colours, numbers?

• 2 months later...

points need some love, almost fixed them but need to do a little more fiddling. finger crossed they survive the summer.

I cleared away the winterness from the lines but they need a big clean.

video -

keen to get some realism / modeling into the layout asap.

• 1 month later...

We have action, one line cleaned and operational.

Points are in serious trouble, be lucky to have them working this year.

greenery is growing strong, happy with that.

Still not built my station etc, still its only april.

So glad you didn't lose the loco. That one is one of my favorite british locos. It's on my list of things to buy eventually.

Your son is learning a lot of useful life skills with you. I often wish my father had not been too busy to spend time with me like that. Not that he neglected me, but he was very busy working, so those kinds of special moments were rare. It's nice to see you spend so much time with your son.

pppp said:

So some calls later we decided it was at the 'Royal Mail National Returns Centre' in Belfast to be destroyed.....

unless someone looked inside to try and find a return address.... Apparently they hold 20 million items so most of it gets destroy but this little package got opened, the ebay paper work read and an return address found and readress and sent! Once back at the seller he kindly informed me and I decided it was best if I payed to have it sent to France.

I was once told that the reason the returns centre is in Belfast is due to the fact that it is illegal to open post in Britain. But because of the letter bombs during the troubles the law was changed in Northern Ireland. Royal Mail take advantage of this and if they want to open a letter or parcel, they send it to Belfast.

traingeekboy said:

So glad you didn't lose the loco. That one is one of my favorite british locos. It's on my list of things to buy eventually.

Your son is learning a lot of useful life skills with you. I often wish my father had not been too busy to spend time with me like that. Not that he neglected me, but he was very busy working, so those kinds of special moments were rare. It's nice to see you spend so much time with your son.

I got particular 08 loco to do the humbro weathering, I brought all the powders etc that is required. -

My son and I go on many adventures, kayaks, bikes, bike races but for some reason he really likes trains. My father showed him that they are putting up power lines for the new electric cross rail trains that will replace the diesel 125's. This lead to a rather existential debate on where trains go when they are not needed so we said a museum and he didn't believe it and kept questioning it until I took him to didcot railway museum.

chris said:

I was once told that the reason the returns centre is in Belfast is due to the fact that it is illegal to open post in Britain. But because of the letter bombs during the troubles the law was changed in Northern Ireland. Royal Mail take advantage of this and if they want to open a letter or parcel, they send it to Belfast.

That sounds interesting so I did some searching and came up with almost nothing appart from there might be an office in portsmouth which can operate outside of the letter opening law. 'This (referring to Belfast), and the smaller office in Portsmouth where most of the parcels go, is the only place in the UK where the Royal Mail is allowed to open letters.' - but the link is from 2003 http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/jan/27/post.features11

There is not much information on these places, and no way of contacting them.

• 3 years later...