FAULCONWOOD AND SPRINGBRIDGE RAILWAY.

cleanerg6e

Hi Roy, how's the weather down your way warming up, going to be 32 degrees over the weekend, great for working out on the layout which s coming along nicely with the scenery on the tunnel module.

I am trying to track down which post I got this pic from to find out what it is, looks like some sort tool., went through Micks pics and didn't come across it, put is a search for ww.dapol.co.uk came up with kit building, the pic was upside down so I turned it around.

That was a good video clip too, thanks .

Getting back into my other hobby woodturning, turning pen kits out of wood and plastic.

Tony.

IMG%204761.jpg

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bal14eagle, thanks that is a very good close up pic of under the container spine car, our container spine cars over here and US ones are different, not knowing much about British freight wagons either. :oops:

Very nice spine car, I think the way to go spine cars, are they 60 footers and at the other end is a draw bar used to couple the as I can see any couplers .

Tony.

1312632104938_IMG_4943.jpg

Hi Roy, just pure awesome would love to see your whole layout in action and the platforms they must be 10ft ++ 13 passenger cars fit in easy with room to spare.

You sure can't beat DCC when it comes to sound, those locos must have direct drive motors to the drive wheels, have you completes the layout.

I ordered a IPhone6 the camera side is supposed to be HD quality and a far better camera over all, got a call yesterday which I missed will ring Telstra at 9am when they open, wasn't happy with the Iphone4s camera.

My layout is going to be slow going building wise, have started up woodturning again, turning pen kits, made two already and five to go.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rum-Colored-Mica-Pen-Blanks-Real-Genuine-Mica-and-acrylic-turning-blanks/131190095109?_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211150826%26meid%3D9bb945e1ed114474a14193237e3551b0%26pid%3D100103%26prg%3D20140211150826%26rkt%3D4%26clkid%3D797946620025454157&_qi=RTM1714243

Here is a link to bloke that seels plastic blanks that glow in the dark, perfect Christmas present ideas and the finished pen does turn out like that, never buy them in a shop, be pretty dear

Tony :D:roll:

Hi Tony, I don't know if the locos have direct drive motors but all the motors are in the locos not the tender. All the speakers are in the tenders.

The platforms are 3.6m in length.

No I STILL haven't finished the railway and today I'm not doing anything to it because the Lachlan Valley Railway is running steam trains up the mountains in connection with the Valley Heights Loco Depot 100 years celebration. So I'm filming the steam locos going past my back fence, well I'm trespassing on railway property but the advantage for me is that I'm the only one filming because, unless you live with the mainline railway going past the back of your house you need to be an athlete to get over the railway fence.

The new camera is going great and has a feature on it where by I can lower the background noise so that the mic only picks up what I'm filming, in this case two very loud steam engines.

The gradient outside the back of my place is 1 in 29 for a short stretch and then it goes back to the ruling gradient of 1 in 33. The trains are running from Valley Heights to Katoomba which for the English is 20 miles and the ruling gradient for the 20 miles is 1 in 33.

That makes the 1 in 100 for the (so called long drag) Settle and Carlisle Railway seem almost flat.

Roy.

roddy said:

I have never really heard the sound at work before.Amazing, I even heard the fireman shoveling coal in the second video. Are they engine type specific? The only thing missing was the smoke and steam.

I think you'll find Roddy that the files are what Howes calls Generic (where they don't have a full set of sounds) but the whistle for the A4 was recorded from Bittern.

The fireman shoveling is one of two random sounds the other being the injector.

Due to the space constraints inside the loco I decided not to have smoke, besides with all the locos I have (steam and diesel) the cost of smoke oil would be horrendous.

Roy.

H Roy, how did you go with filming the steam trains passing your house, get a lot of good video, would of been an awesome show.

Picked up my new iPhone6 last Saturday, didn't get the plus far too big, takes good pics, I tested it on Sunday when the Lorikeets came in for a feed got some good pics of them in flight and that isn't with doing any setting to the camera, not bad, can't wait to try out the video side, can't do what you can with video cam. I saw the iPhone6 could have a timer setup will have to look into it if it can be use for doing video, be good.

Got a pic of the Lorikeets in Personal journal post, Griff's Burger Joint, page23 post 224.

Summer is here peaking 35 degrees, could o a couple of degree hotter where we are.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roy, good footage on the model train show and the real steamies , I am a member of AMRA in the QLD Branch, what brand of Garratt do you have, some of them have connection issues, not sure I would have one, the problem is you would have to go and buy a rake of rolling stock for that era.

Tony.

I have the Eureka Garratt as it's the cheapest. They are not designed to be continually taken apart and put together which is why mine is in a DCC Concepts loco storage box.

The Bachmann Blue Pullman is practically the same. I may have to modify my Blue Pullman and fit it with normal Kadee's as it's a pain to get together and take

apart again.

Roy.

Hi Roy, yeah I know a couple of the other members in my train club have the same issue with their Eureka Garratt too, they are going to do another rerun of 3801 next year, hope to grab one, be a better loco than the Lima one I have and pull more coaches.

Mowed the foot path today so I can do some work on the layout, getting the wood lathe, a friend which is African has asked me to build him a mancala game board, the oldest game board in the world, once you know how to play the game it is fun .

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roy, I found a you tube link on radio controlled NEC DCC, what you will see will blow you away, who needs track for model trains, be ideal for us HO scale outdoor modellers, pure some.

My son has just got a new joystick controller for his electric wheel chair and it has infrared technology can switch off lights and the VCR , be great if I can work it to control a throttle for the layout, going to look into it so my son can come out and join in driving a train.

What I would like is connect the layout to his computer and he become the chief controller operating all the points and blocks, nice to dream.

Tony. :D:P:mrgreen::lol:

ha ha such polite modelers. Yeah yogurt is good, but so is pee. I'm not sure you need to bottle it as it comes with a dispenser. Sorry just had to add that comment.

But the comments from the wives would be funny.

Wife: What are you doing in the garden dear?

Layout owner: Oh, just working on some scenics sweetheart, Why?

Wife: Well you've been drinking so much water today and then running back to the garden.

Layout owner: Scenics can be very dehydrating.

I had hoped to show some work on my railway but mum had two falls in her retirement unit. First was last Wednesday night and I found her face down outside her bedroom door at 9.00am Thursday morning. No injuries other than pride. Mum is a BIG woman so I called the retirement village district nurse and we got mum onto her feet together. She said that she had been busting for a pee and had wet her pants did I not smell it. As a public loo cleaner for nearly 12 years I don't smell that sort of thing anymore. The next was Saturday night in her bathroom and again no injuries and she had her mobile phone with her.....at long last. I've been telling her for years to take her phone with her everywhere in case of an emergency. Mum is now in hospital being assessed as she thinks it maybe her replacement hip on her left side which has "gone"....well it is 44 years old and was one of the first replacement hips done in Australia. At that time they were only done in Brisbane and mum flew up (by plane) and came back on the Brisbane Limited train. I can still remember being at Hornsby Station with dad and my brother to see her and she got off the train backwards her big bum appearing first. I shouted "There's mum"! and everyone turned to look.

Her short term memory is failing unfortunately but her long term memory is intact. So I'm going up to the hospital everyday to see her and work has been great with an attitude of "stuff the job and care for your mum and if you need anything let us know"

Mum is 83.

Roy

Well the hospital where mum is staying has a Gastroenteritis epidemic with patients all in the single rooms. Guess what I picked up a dose of it and Saturday night I found myself in hospital complete with dehydration as well. I already have low blood pressure and it plummeted to 90 over 43. So naturally I shivered uncontrollably. The two ambulance girls Shelby and Maggie warmed me up and got me warm by the time we arrived at the hospital. At the hospital the staff their put me in a wheelchair and said to wait here until called. Being upright with no blanket and being directly under an air conditioning outlet my temperature dropped again and I fell out of the chair onto the floor unconscious. I woke up laying down with the staff worried about my blood pressure and I told them not to sit me up. Being medical staff they don't listen and they did just that where upon I laid down before I fell down and raised my feet onto bits of medical equipment to get my blood back to my head.

On Sunday morning I had stablised and was no longer vomiting but I still had diarrhea so I was given a full breakfast which was cereal, scrambled eggs, toast, butter, milk, coffee sugar etc. I had none of it.

My brother picked me up in the afternoon and when I got home I had something to eat white bread toast and plum jam.

There is a medication called Imodium and they used to have a leaflet inside that said you could only eat white toasted bread plain or with jam no marmalade plain pasta or plain white rice. No dairy products, eggs, fruits, vegetables, meats, or alcohol. But you could have black tea or coffee.

So you can see why I didn't eat the hospital provided breakfast.

Roy.

Hope you and Mum are getting better, but please don't remind me of hospital food. I had two and a half weeks in with septicaemia, and most of the time moaning that I couldn't pass anything. Got sent home with bags of medicine and laxatives. A week later I was back in, and another 4 days passed before I landed under the knife. 4 more days in I/C and I wake up with a bag to catch the poo. Another fortnight before I was home, 4 stone lighter than when I started. Bad gut trouble, and I needed a bit of tempting with my grub, not platesfull of hospital stodge when they decided that it was meal time.