Daylight on Tour

EngineDriver

Hi Nige, love the colour scheme of the Southern Pacific's Day Lighter train, with that steamy the colour scheme suits I reckon, like the rocks in the behind the loco blends in with the loco.

Good to see you are back on the forum again, like to see more pics and how is your layout going.

Tony.

Lol, yes Griff, I do still have a large can of satin Black paint on my bench! In fact I also have an Atlas FP7 that my son bought at a toyfair for very little money, it's in a strange "short line" livery so its a prime candidate for................................................................................?! :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Nige, nice loco the Santa Fe 2-10-4 steamy look good running on my Tehachapi loop spiral, what's the plans with the F/7 loco, you sure can pick up some good bargains, I am after a couple so I can paint them up into the Silver Streak loco colour scheme, be good I can get the locos with those white strips still on them, Canadian Pacific would be a good start.

Found your other post you sure have a good collection of big steam locos including the big boys, the closest I have to the big boy is revel 87th scale plastic kit, was hopping the drive wheels would turn but no, a permanent fix, count of modelled the loco on the 4014, the model will be modelled on the 4023 on display at Kennefick park with I am planning to do a diorama of.

I am into the DD40AX's got three of them and one is 6900 and other 6936 , bought an unpainted DD40AX Bachman and had it painted to UP colours and those running numbers.

Tony.

Hi Tony, its funny you should mention DD40x's because I am just in the process of putting an article/post together about an Athearn DD35 that has caused me loads of problems over the years. I have modified it quite a bit and now it runs like a dream. :)

So look out for the article in the next couple of days!

I also have a Bachmann DD40AX which I bought undecorated and sprayed it myself but I have to admit it's not that good a job, I will pose it next to the DD35 for you in the article :)

With regards to the F7 it will most likely end up Penn Central Black, although its not been finalised yet, its up to my son as its his loco.

Regards Nige.

hi Nige, now that is going to stunning painting the F/7 to Penn Central black with their white logo, there is quite a few listed on US eBay going real cheap I saw an Penn C F/7 A-B going for $23 but the postage was dearer. Only one other loco railroad I know is NS with the white logo and running numbers.

Talking about the Athearn DD35 (DD40) locos I am kit bashing a DD40 to a DD35/B loco, got some issues with it at the moment , it is learning over to one side for some reason, it was real old chassis and trucks, other than that it runs fine, if I can't ix it will look at buying on eBay a replacement chassis, hopefully with motors.

image.php?album_id=90&image_id=2832&display=popupimage.php?album_id=90&image_id= ... play=popuphttp://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=90&image_id=2832&display=popup' alt='URL>'>

image.php?album_id=90&image_id=2831&display=popupimage.php?album_id=90&image_id= ... play=popuphttp://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=90&image_id=2831&display=popup' alt='URL>'>

I will painting the loco in UP colours of course, double heads with my Athearn UP DD40 (DD35)

Having an issue with my Bachman DD40Ax the one I had painted in UP colours and 6936 running numbers, she keeps on losing power running up a grade, have had it to the bloke to look at it and all he did was clean the truck pic ups helped for a while back to doing the same again , real shame as the paint and decals are a top job, only cost me $45.

Happy modelling Tony.

Hi tony, that looks an interesting project, should look great when it's finished. :) As to the leaning it will most likely be the mount where the bogie pivot pin is on the chassis, if you can't find any fault there then I sometimes weight the body to the opposite side with some thin lead sheet glued to the inside of the body shell. (I use some small bits of lead flashing, its used here by builders to seal the brick house chimneys to the roof tiles to stop ingress of rain water, I don't know if you use similar on your side of the globe, but you will be able to find something suitable) :)

PS I have posted that DD35A topic in the workshop bit.

Hi Nige, Thanks have been working on that DD35/B loco project form some time till I noticed that the loco had lean on it, was thinking of swapping the power trucks around, but like your idea of adding some weights on the other side, I may also the gear cover off and reset the power trucks in the pivot hole on the chassis, then I can get back to finishing the loco of, so many on the go.

Have you had a look on my Camdale layout, I cheated and modified the second water tender of my Hornby Flying Scot to a tender drive can now pull 11 coaches with ease and could o puled 16 coaches didn't want to push it as the front tender drive has a 3 pole motor and second tender has a 5 pole, plan to at a later date replace the 3 pole with a 5 pole.

Got a few pics of the Flying scot project, was going to start a new post like you have but knew that project was coming to an end and yes I did discover your other post after replied , will keep your new post going on the DD35 project.

I also at the bottom of my page a link to my Boeing 737 fuselage project, you sure can get side tracked on your forum post.

Tony.

I have had a look through you posts on your Camdale layout and very impressive it is too. :) Do you assemble it and take it all down again after each oprating session? :shock: If so, it must take ages, I don't think I would have the patience for that, it's not one of my strong points! :lol::lol:

Hi Nige, yeah I will be doing just that setting the layout up every time like a module layout, can't have it up permanent as I have disable son in an electric wheel chair, but I can leave most of the sections set up if I am running trains for a few days, just like a module layout, plug and play set up with the wiring. The sections out in the open will have the post left in the garden, just a matter of screwing the sections to them and they we be all coded where each section screw into each other. I do have 7 modules for the station complex, they could be left set up for a couple of days also.

Not really, I have the pavers marked where the tunnel module goes, when I pack the layout in the shed they will go in numbers so when I take them back out be easy to set up again, my yard is too steep to have a garden layout set up , especially like Micks and Fungus have,our summers are far too hot, why I am closer to the house where I can use the pergola for the station.

Will take a bit longer to build, be easier if I had someone to help.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nige, yeah depends which sort of travel you choose, by boat would take a while like they did immigrating from England in the in the 60's to Australia, thanks anyway for the offer.

I am going to be busy on projects now and after Christmas, won two Kibri HO scale wind turbine generator kits, on eBay, all I will be able to do is check the kits to see if they are complete and hand the kits over to mum , guessed it Christmas present, hard kit to get hold of over here in the hobby shops, much cheaper on Bay also.

Going to be an awesome train consist, will need 9 trailer spine cars, 6 flat wagons for the tower sections, two 70ft wagons for the main two generators and blade hubs and tower bases, about 18 wagons all up, don't know if I will start up a new topic.

I have posted a couple of pics of the wind turbine tower sections on flat wagons and a wind turbine and link to the spine cars used to hall the wind turbine parts, be free to comment on my post, have post some more up-date pics of my two spiral modules also, hope to do some more work on the second spiral tomorrow.

It is very dry over here need the rain bad, not good coming into the fire season and the storm season also not a good mix with lightning strikes.

Tony.

Hi Tony, I saw your pictures on your layout thread, it will certainly make an unusual load. I like to see something different from the normal run of the mill stuff.

I am trying not to think about Christmas at the moment, I keep getting requests/demands from the kids and It's frightening :o

I was trying to do some work on my outdoor sections this past week in between goingto work but it's done nothing but damn rain. I have a few days off now at the moment but.............................it's raining again :x and tomorrow they say its going to..............................................................be even worse! :shock:

Don't like the idea of the Fire season! :shock: We see the devastation caused by these wild fires on the news truly frightening! :shock::shock:

We don't get much in the way of thunder storms here either, just miserable, grey damp days, usually from about now till the spring, :lol: then folks wonder why were grumpy from time to time :lol::lol: